Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
While reading the posts on what did we do before we had???

#! Freezing ass off with bulky layers of cotton cause we could not afford wool which was heavy and made you sweat.
#2 Spent 3 days trying to water proof leather boots using ,mink oil,seal blubber,bear fat,paraffin wax,first creek you walk through your feet are soaking wet.
#3 Buying leather boots two sizes too big so you could wear extra socks and still get frost bit toes.
#4 Every other scope on the market would fog inside as soon as you saw a buck.
#5 Wearing a rubber rain suit when it rained.
#6 Wearing choppers to keep your hands warm and trying to get them off when you see a deer.
#7 being the youngest in deer camp you got to do all the drives.
#8 Wipeing your ass with a newspaper cause the Old Man did not want to waste Toilet paper.
#9 having no idea how far a deer was on you first trip "Out West"
#10 hand warmers that used lighter fluid as fuel,stunk like hell and went out after 5 minutes.

Yeah, I yearn for those days.Now I wear light weight waterproof clothes and boots that are comfortable,and warm.My undies wick my sweat away.I know how far deer are.My scope does not fog and I wipe my ass with toilet paper.Just sayin ,Huntz

Last edited by Huntz; 07/05/16.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A gentleman we used to get hunting permission from years ago was once in the Calgary Stampede parade as the oldest living child of a settler; he often said the only good thing about the good old days is that they are gone. Wool, waterproof down, fleece, breathable waterproofs, yeah life is great. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good post.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It's really been tuff for me the last 15 years. In the old days, they used to drive me to the stand, drop me off, and pick me up--along with several does.

Now I have to walk a 150 yards or so to the stand--up hill both ways--in temperatures usually beteen 30-60 degrees F--barefoot, and in overhauls.

The good ole days are gone for good I fear.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I miss seeing dead deer strapped across the hood of a car as the Hunter was driving home. I'm sure the heat from the motor made the venison taste better - not.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
There was a cheap and easy solution to #8: bring your own toilet paper. But with progress, we now have bio-wipes.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yes, things are much better now. But there is something to be said about hiring someone to milk the cows, putting on your work clothes, packing a couple of sandwiches and a Mason jar full of ice, slipping half a box of 30-30 shells in your pocket, and slipping out well before dawn for a day of hunting. It was, and still can be, a lot simpler and less expensive than we sometimes make it.

On the other hand, I did take a couple of my grandsons on the muzzle loader hunt a couple of years ago.

We "camped" in a bed and breakfast, and got up early to be at our site before dawn. We stomped around in the bushes for a couple of hours, discovered that the main canyon we were watching had just been visited by about 300 sheep, then went back to the B&B for waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, and OJ. We played pool at the B&B for an hour or two, drove down The Malt Shop in Ephriam. In the evening, we hit a nice Mexican restaurant for dinner, where I introduced the boys to Jarritos pop. They loved it.

The problem is, they think that's how deer hunting is done.

Last edited by denton; 07/05/16.

Be not weary in well doing.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I still have the scope I bought 45 years ago and it has never fogged inside or cost me an animal. Neither have any of the couple dozen I have bought since then.
I wear leather boots and wool underwear and sleep under a tarp. I am impressed with some modern gear but fail to see the advantage to much of it. Do like those baby weipes though! GD

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
All things being equal, I'll deal with shivering and lighter fluid over Black Lives Matter, Obama and Muslims at every intersection.

Being tough had its merits.

YMMV

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Think the past was great??

On a whole yes;

Less people.
Less law looking over shoulder.
More hair on my head.

Offset somewhat by my having much nicer toys now.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Better stuff, nicer toys, greater complacency

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Yes, that about covers it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Seems people have more time to be offended by everything when they don't have to worry about how they are going to feed themselves or being chased by T-Rex.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being able to hunt the majority of places around home and out-of-state by simply asking permission. OTC tags or easier draws. Yeah, it sucked it back in the day. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
At least you had paper, we only had leaves cry laugh

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
BTW, if you are still wiping your a$$ with toilet paper, let me introduce you to diaper wipes....

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Now is the golden age for deer hunters in this country as there are more available in more locations than ever before, furthermore there is much more information about such as well.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
BTW, if you are still wiping your a$$ with toilet paper, let me introduce you to diaper wipes....

Pfft, try tickling your anus over a bidet.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A man would have to have one of those Eberlestock packs to carry a bidet into the field, would he not?

Your point is not lost, however.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Yeah I do.

I got to hunt with my Father.
my best friend.

and Driver, the best bird dog I ever owned.

I still have the gear and the guns, buy all the new stuff
sure I am more comfortable.

or am I?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 22 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,207
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.