Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
While reading the posts on what did we do before we had???

#! Freezing ass off with bulky layers of cotton cause we could not afford wool which was heavy and made you sweat.
#2 Spent 3 days trying to water proof leather boots using ,mink oil,seal blubber,bear fat,paraffin wax,first creek you walk through your feet are soaking wet.
#3 Buying leather boots two sizes too big so you could wear extra socks and still get frost bit toes.
#4 Every other scope on the market would fog inside as soon as you saw a buck.
#5 Wearing a rubber rain suit when it rained.
#6 Wearing choppers to keep your hands warm and trying to get them off when you see a deer.
#7 being the youngest in deer camp you got to do all the drives.
#8 Wipeing your ass with a newspaper cause the Old Man did not want to waste Toilet paper.
#9 having no idea how far a deer was on you first trip "Out West"
#10 hand warmers that used lighter fluid as fuel,stunk like hell and went out after 5 minutes.

Yeah, I yearn for those days.Now I wear light weight waterproof clothes and boots that are comfortable,and warm.My undies wick my sweat away.I know how far deer are.My scope does not fog and I wipe my ass with toilet paper.Just sayin ,Huntz

Last edited by Huntz; 07/05/16.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
A gentleman we used to get hunting permission from years ago was once in the Calgary Stampede parade as the oldest living child of a settler; he often said the only good thing about the good old days is that they are gone. Wool, waterproof down, fleece, breathable waterproofs, yeah life is great. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good post.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It's really been tuff for me the last 15 years. In the old days, they used to drive me to the stand, drop me off, and pick me up--along with several does.

Now I have to walk a 150 yards or so to the stand--up hill both ways--in temperatures usually beteen 30-60 degrees F--barefoot, and in overhauls.

The good ole days are gone for good I fear.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I miss seeing dead deer strapped across the hood of a car as the Hunter was driving home. I'm sure the heat from the motor made the venison taste better - not.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
There was a cheap and easy solution to #8: bring your own toilet paper. But with progress, we now have bio-wipes.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yes, things are much better now. But there is something to be said about hiring someone to milk the cows, putting on your work clothes, packing a couple of sandwiches and a Mason jar full of ice, slipping half a box of 30-30 shells in your pocket, and slipping out well before dawn for a day of hunting. It was, and still can be, a lot simpler and less expensive than we sometimes make it.

On the other hand, I did take a couple of my grandsons on the muzzle loader hunt a couple of years ago.

We "camped" in a bed and breakfast, and got up early to be at our site before dawn. We stomped around in the bushes for a couple of hours, discovered that the main canyon we were watching had just been visited by about 300 sheep, then went back to the B&B for waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, and OJ. We played pool at the B&B for an hour or two, drove down The Malt Shop in Ephriam. In the evening, we hit a nice Mexican restaurant for dinner, where I introduced the boys to Jarritos pop. They loved it.

The problem is, they think that's how deer hunting is done.

Last edited by denton; 07/05/16.

Be not weary in well doing.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I still have the scope I bought 45 years ago and it has never fogged inside or cost me an animal. Neither have any of the couple dozen I have bought since then.
I wear leather boots and wool underwear and sleep under a tarp. I am impressed with some modern gear but fail to see the advantage to much of it. Do like those baby weipes though! GD

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
All things being equal, I'll deal with shivering and lighter fluid over Black Lives Matter, Obama and Muslims at every intersection.

Being tough had its merits.

YMMV

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Think the past was great??

On a whole yes;

Less people.
Less law looking over shoulder.
More hair on my head.

Offset somewhat by my having much nicer toys now.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Better stuff, nicer toys, greater complacency

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Yes, that about covers it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Seems people have more time to be offended by everything when they don't have to worry about how they are going to feed themselves or being chased by T-Rex.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being able to hunt the majority of places around home and out-of-state by simply asking permission. OTC tags or easier draws. Yeah, it sucked it back in the day. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
At least you had paper, we only had leaves cry laugh

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
BTW, if you are still wiping your a$$ with toilet paper, let me introduce you to diaper wipes....

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Now is the golden age for deer hunters in this country as there are more available in more locations than ever before, furthermore there is much more information about such as well.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
BTW, if you are still wiping your a$$ with toilet paper, let me introduce you to diaper wipes....

Pfft, try tickling your anus over a bidet.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A man would have to have one of those Eberlestock packs to carry a bidet into the field, would he not?

Your point is not lost, however.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Yeah I do.

I got to hunt with my Father.
my best friend.

and Driver, the best bird dog I ever owned.

I still have the gear and the guns, buy all the new stuff
sure I am more comfortable.

or am I?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Ingwe...is that you?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Being able to hunt the majority of places around home and out-of-state by simply asking permission. OTC tags or easier draws. Yeah, it sucked it back in the day. whistle

Yes. Fewer opportunities today. Way more draws. More land under lease or off limits.There was far more opportunity years back and it was more affordable as well in may parts of the West.

Here in New England I would say nothing has really changed. I can deer hunt about anywhere I please in Maine or NH. No problems with tags or access.

Other than underwear, I see no major differences. I had good gear and rifles then and have them now. Gear never broke a hunt on me.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Ingwe...is that you?

Ingwe started out with flint.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The past?

Getting to spend time with my Dad ONE more time.
Getting to listen to him and my uncles talk about times when they were growing up.
My Grandmother and her cinnamon rolls
Wearing enough clothes to keep a good-sized family warm.
Hearing the advice from my Dad to 'squeeze that trigger like a tit' one more time.

Just spending time with my Dad

Yeah, I'd take the 'good old days' over the crap now.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ingwe...is that you?

Eventually used live pole cats, which explains why they smell to this day...

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Ingwe...is that you?

And fire appeared shortly there after.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Ingwe...is that you?

laugh

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yes, it was..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hunting doesn't have much to do with stuff really and I have some modern stuff.I still wear wools,felt and much of our gear is still leather. I long for the wildness of the Rockies we used know,there are now roads into most drainages around here I predate atv's and still hunt horseback.No,it was much better 40 years ago,but we're not getting it back but at least I lived it.Cheers

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Never had a scope fog in the old days cuz all my deer guns had iron sights. Couldn't figure why anybody'd need a scope to shoot a great big critter like a deer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Some of the items made then are missed, like the leather Thermos carriers, instead of that vinyl pretend-leather crap.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some of my most prized possessions.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Been there, done most of all this, did not care for the Tee shirt.

My father, born in 1917, who started out as a ranch hand when things were done in the traditional way, used to say, " I had enough of the good old days, back in the good old days."

He built Mom and himself a really nice house in the late sixties. He told the builder to delete the fireplace. When asked why, he responded that he had cut all the firewood that he ever intended to cut. I tend to agree. Gas logs in mine.

Nostalgic thread,,nice.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wasn't around back in the real good 'ol days...just the transition days...turned old enough to hunt in 1992.

I do like a lot of the more advanced equipment that is available today, but am pretty old school with other things.

I hunt off foot or horseback-have an ATV and a dirt bike, but rarely use them for hunting
I wear wool (merino wool is nice, I must admit) and have no Sitka/Kuiu stuff
I hunt with lots of different rifles, but quite often revert back to original Savage 1899s, and old Springfield 1898 Krag, and most definitely prefer revolvers to autos.

On the flip side, I do dearly love my Havalon Piranha, McMilan Stocks and ultra high end optics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'll let adult diaper wipes wait until I have to wear adult diapers. sick

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An 06 with a K4 and modified stock, two pair blue jean 4 buckle over shoes. Add packed lunch and warm water or whatever.
Walk to the half mile line and back to get you 5 roosters and two hens. Hunting at relatives and friends places.
The old men in the neighborhood would want to borrow your rifle with a scope or ask if you could hit that crow way out there (100+ yards) Hunting with friends and relatives (now all gone).

Yeh the good old days were good. My deer rifle now is prettier and has a more expensive scope. I have long underwear now too.

I'd be so happy to do those days again! No question about it!

Last edited by Bugger; 07/06/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Ingwe...is that you?

laugh

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

Heck Ingwe, since the rest of us weren't there to see that happen we will just have to take your word for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Technology advanced while society declined.

Oh well, can't go back.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The LongJohns are better now and are the Boots but still hunt with savage 1899s 303s & 22Hps wear wool, no Ill take the old days, very few No Hunting signs, you could Trust Folks, Hunted not sitting over Bait piles, If you did meet a Hunter in the woods He was a Hunter Not some Ahole with a Black Rifle! I have one also! but dont hunt with it!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a kid I used to have to look after the furnace in the winter. Haul coal from the corner of the cellar, feed the furnace, remove and dispose of ashes. Start over again. I can remember what an advancement I thought it was when we had oil heating installed. Set heat with a dial on the wall. Oh heaven!

Split kindling in the cellar, take it upstairs for my mother to use in starting a fire in the kitchen stove in the morning. Then there was the electric elements to cook on.

Getting up one morning and my mother telling me not to bother looking for the rabbit in the garden anymore. Dad had borrowed my .22 and shot him early that morning because he was starting to eat the lettuce in the garden. (Maybe not so much different today as a local cottontail or two eats the flowers off my wifes pansies on the back deck. Except it is in the city so I don't dare shoot them.)

Jim

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I definitely think there were better "woodsmen/hunters" back in the old days. Something of a lost art as many have retreated back to the trees to kill deer in an evolutionary reversal.

Some younger folks may not even know what they are...but some of the older lumberjacks from Maine would qualify today. Those guys knew the woods and how to hunt.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz

#! Freezing ass off with bulky layers of cotton cause we could not afford wool which was heavy and made you sweat.
#2 Spent 3 days trying to water proof leather boots using ,mink oil,seal blubber,bear fat,paraffin wax,first creek you walk through your feet are soaking wet.
#3 Buying leather boots two sizes too big so you could wear extra socks and still get frost bit toes.
#6 Wearing choppers to keep your hands warm and trying to get them off when you see a deer.
#8 Wipeing your ass with a newspaper cause the Old Man did not want to waste Toilet paper.
#10 hand warmers that used lighter fluid as fuel,stunk like hell and went out after 5 minutes.

Yeah, I yearn for those days.Now I wear light weight waterproof clothes and boots that are comfortable,and warm.My undies wick my sweat away.I know how far deer are.My scope does not fog and I wipe my ass with toilet paper.Just sayin ,Huntz

I'd take those days back in a second.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would willingly go back to those days if I could have a couple modern amenities (such as better footgear than the cotton socks/rubber boots I froze inside of back in the 60's).

I miss the people and attitudes. I miss the smell and noise of my uncle's old Willys CJ. I miss the excitement of being a teenage kid lying awake the night before opening day.

I don't miss the fact that the Eastern deer herd was maybe 1/5th the size it is today.

But most of all, I would willingly go back 45-50 years if but just for one day- if I could spend that day hunting with my old man one more time.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yep, cotton socks, leather boots, bee's wax, war surplus gear, rusty iron cookware, canvas tents and cots that reeked of mildew, the old scout hut where weekly meetings were basically boxing and wrestling matches.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
As Far As I'm Concerned (AFAIC), I so much prefer hunting and equipment TODAY over tgod (the good ole days). As others have already mentioned,
Clothing
Optics
BULLETS
Powder
--some rifles-
et.al. are better now than in the70-80s.

We also have many Xs the no. of deer & other game animals than there were.

Our deer season is MUCH longer than it was.
Our bag limit is TRIPLE what it was.

You get my drift ??

OTOH I do miss getting to hunt/fish with my Dad and a few friends that are no longer with us. We must admitt that family & friends pass regardless of all other circumstances.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The things I miss the most about the good old days are. Unposted property all over the place that could be hunted freely. Nine dollar muskrat pelts at a time when a new Marlin 60 could be had for 49.00 and a brick of .22LR's was 5.99 on sale. Fifty dollar jumbo coon and 25.00 mediums when a good night with the hounds could equal a weeks pay at the plant. Woodchucks in every hay field. Saturday afternoons spent driving around the back roads shooting woodchucks out the window of your pickup and nobody cared because everybody wasn't an uptight azzhole and you knew all the farmers personally anyway and had their blessings. Better hunting today ? Not by a longshot !

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Parts of it were excellent.

What I miss most, aside from my eyes, legs, and lungs, is the great upland hunting we used to enjoy in Adams County, PA. Wild ringnecks, rabbits, squirrels, woodcock, even the occasional quail were on the menu. Best of all, we could step off my grandmother's porch and be in productive cover in 30 seconds.

Whitetail hunting is clearly better today, IF you have a place to hunt, or can go deep on public land, or have deep pockets.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/06/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, I miss pheasants too. And snowshoe rabbits. Ain't hardly any of those around here anymore either. It ain't all about deer for me.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We still burn wood to heat the house-I am a hvac guy,use ponies for the backcountry and occasionally to town,wouldn't be seen in camo ,wool is just fine.Hunting wasn't a pastime,it was a way of life.Other than moose there is more game these days but much of the wildness of the mountains is tamed now and this was a vital part of things.If you didn't see this,well to bad for you.I did.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh yeah, and I miss the Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward fall catalogs coming in the mail every year too. Couldn't wait to look through the gun/sporting goods section. Still have two old Sears shotguns and a bolt action .22 kicking around here.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by comerade
We still burn wood to heat the house-I am a hvac guy,use ponies for the backcountry and occasionally to town,wouldn't be seen in camo ,wool is just fine.Hunting wasn't a pastime,it was a way of life.Other than moose there is more game these days but much of the wildness of the mountains is tamed now and this was a vital part of things.If you didn't see this,well to bad for you.I did.

Get with it Dude. All the happening people use lamas for packing into the back country!

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I was just reading a 1961 Outdoor Life and I wish I could buy some of the boots advertised in there, even for inflated dollars. Same thing with a lot of the advertised clothing. Instead, I can buy stuff sized to fit the average Chinaman.
We also heat with wood (exclusively) but now cook with propane.
Those Sears and Monkey Wards catalogs were a treasure. You could buy a lathe or an engine rebuild kit from either store. Today, a Sears catalog offers a good variety of brassieres. GD

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Out here a dude is a city guy and if something is happening you happen to be doing it .My point is the western mountains before all the logging,exploration and other development was truly exceptional and for those that experienced it are very blessed.Cheers

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by comerade
Out here a dude is a city guy and if something is happening you happen to be doing it .My point is the western mountains before all the logging,exploration and other development was truly exceptional and for those that experienced it are very blessed.Cheers

Just messin' with you. It's hard for an old man to pass up an opportunity to be "funny".

You're right about all that great stuff that's long gone. Makes you wonder what kind of fond memories our offspring are going to have.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Better hunting today ? Not by a longshot !

I guess it depends upon WHERE you lived...

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I dunno. Last year, I went deer hunting with a .30/30 and 4X scope, and had a pocketknife in my pocket, and a bit of rope in my vest pocket. No other fancy new-age gew-gaws, I even used factory ammo in the little Marlin.

No backpacks, butt-out tools, none of that stuff. Got away with it, this time.

It was more fun than the fancy scoped .270s I've been using, but I still had the same stuff in my pockets, then, too. I just don't need that stuff hunting farmland, and being within a mile or so of the house most of the time.
I can go just over the hill and down on the creek and find a deer, if I wait long enough.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RWE

Ingwe...is that you?

That's kinda harsh, after all, they use pole cat juice for a base for perfume, don't they?

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by RWE

Ingwe...is that you?

That's kinda harsh, after all, they use pole cat juice for a base for perfume, don't they?

You are correct, it is the main ingredient in the muck that the blue rinse lot wear...also used in toilet deodorant/stink hider.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane

[Linked Image]
Yup.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Yeah, and the way they don't break down in the environment, turning up around campsites where critters have dug them up (or where people didn't even bother to bury them). And in towns blocking sewers and treatment plants, and turning up in streams and on beaches. I'm happy not to use them.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
On the OP, I'd grant that clothing's improved greatly. I used to wear ex-army woolen pants and coat in cold weather, and that stuff got heavy and smelly in wet weather. Oiled japara was no match for modern rain gear either.

However I'd happily go back to it, in return for being able to have the same freedom to shoot pretty much wherever, and to go into a shop - not even necessarily a gunshop - and say "I'll have that one please" and walk out with it without our current system of licences and so on. I bought myself my first new gun when I was 14, a semiauto shotgun, and all it took was for my father to be in the shop and nod at the appropriate moment as I handed over the money. I'd stuff my pockets with shells and go out by myself and shoot, and no one had a problem with it. The local cop turned a blind eye to us kids driving the backroads too. It seems like a different country now.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Now that brings back memories.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I assume you kept your pocket knife in an old paper shottie shell as well.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by dan_oz

Yeah, and the way they don't break down in the environment, turning up around campsites where critters have dug them up (or where people didn't even bother to bury them). And in towns blocking sewers and treatment plants, and turning up in streams and on beaches. I'm happy not to use them.

I use Coleman Biowipes and bury them in a cat hole.

Coleman Biowipes:

- 8" x 10" premoistened all purpose wipes in a resealable package
- 100% Biodegradable in 21 days
- Fragrance free and non toxic
- 30 wipes

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Gringo...you may want to bury a couple in your backyard for a test.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
To me the good ole days were when someone's old grandma gave you a hug and something popped up on its own!!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have hunted through the years with a Charlie ONeil 333 OKH. It's a 1917 action, built in 1918

Last edited by hanco; 08/17/16.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I remember the past and the Polio epidemic on the 1940's. I had several friends who had Polio and one died. Lots of medical advances since then.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a relative newcomer to hunting. I started back during the first Reagan administration. However, the good old days seem just as bleak.

Back in the early 80's, the closest action for deer and turkey was 3 hours away. I was hunting in mil-surp wool and leaky boots, and a Jon-E Handwarmer with the buck lure attachment.

The biggest difference for me, then and now is the availability of game. Back in the early 80's just hearing a turkey gobble was a triumph. I would go an entire season not seeing a buck. Nowadays? Saturday night I had a 10 point buck walk out about 50 yards from the house and watch me enjoying my evening cocktail. In the past three months I've had both deer and turkeys come up and stick their head in the bedroom- window. Elk are bedding in one of the pastures.

Footwear? Finding boots that would keep me warm and dry were a huge boon. However, it took decades of experimentation. For deer hunting I finally opted for boot blankets in the stand about a decade ago. Turkey hunting was a bigger problem. I finally found the solution just this past year. I started with 'Nam-era jungle boots in the 80's. I tried probably a dozen different boots since, and finally found an ankle-high rubber bottom boot that does not leak and keeps me warm.

I've started using a lighter fluid handwarmer again. For early season turkey hunting they're great. I keep it in my chest pocket under my coat, and it lets me save a layer or two. After it warms up in the morning, I can just put it out.

Toilet paper? That's a must have for me, but I went one step beyond. Between a few of my favorite deer stands I built an outhouse. I also have a funnel attached to a garden hose at a couple of my luxury boxes.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

But my knees were not made of steel, had no arthritis, had no back pain, could run 10 miles if I wanted to, eyes needed no enhancement, I could hear very well out of both my ears, and I could get up 2 hours before dawn after drinking a 12 pack the night before...

Yeh, the good old days

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bugger

a 12 pack

Yeh, the good old days

A 12 pack in Wisconsin is called breakfast.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember having the cotton thermals and no Gore Tex type clothing. Getting wet and shivering the rest of the day was not fun. Also, nothing was made in a tall or for someone who doesn't have a 40" waist. I don't miss those days.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
So many of my problems in the good old days were matters of ignorance and lack of experience. It took a couple of seasons to figure out what those strange snorting sounds were in the woods. After that it took another couple of seasons to figure out the deer were taking offense to the moth balls that I used to protect my wool hunting clothes in the off-season. Somehow, a sprinkle of fox urine on my boots was supposed to take care of all that.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love my choppers with their wool liners......because they are easier and faster to remove than the new-fangled, hi-tech stuff, and the liners never get pulled out of the fingers. wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't know which is really best
I grew up in Chicago lived there till I was 26 didn't know my Azz from a hole in the ground never had a Dad Grandpa or mentor that taught me to hunt.Froze horribly in Northern Wisconsin and wandered in Southern Illinois.
Moved to MI had some mentors and learned a bit but still not Kurt Goudy. I had very basic gear and now really appreciate warmer lighter gear.

But today I have to admitt it's fun to be part of so many hunts through the wonders of text. The guys I hunt with what they see hear etc. Other friends hunting in the state and the country. We typically have radio silence opening day but as season goes on its kind of fun keeping up

I still like my old school Stanley thermos

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 08/21/16.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sure there are a lot of things to not miss about back in the day but I miss all my loved ones that are no longer here that we shared some wonderful times together and the love we had for each other. Fishing on lake Pond 'O Rielle for bluebacks and Kamloops.My Dad was a golfer not a hunter but he took me out to the local happy hunting grounds anyway. Never shot a bird but he always threw the clay birds for me so we could have some fun together and end things on a positive note. Having a shotgun in the cab of your truck and not be treated as terrorist. Those memories give me comfort as well as sadness in this world gone insane. I cling to the good days so I don't lose my mind now. I long for the day the toughest decision I had to make was what shirt and pants I had to wear. I miss having pheasants to hunt that were wild and self sustaining populations. Now if you don't get there to the state release site in time you'll never get a bird because the coyotes will get them. I like to reconnect with those happier days. It makes me happy.

If liberals knew what they were missing, they�d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! � James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My grandfather told me something to the effect that "the people who wish for the good old days are the ones that never watched their little brother die because there was no such thing as antibiotics".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kellywk
My grandfather told me something to the effect that "the people who wish for the good old days are the ones that never watched their little brother die because there was no such thing as antibiotics".

My dad was the same way, perhaps because he was part of the 60% among his siblings who survived childhood. He had plenty of perspectives that reflected that.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Spending the night with friends and seeing their mothers mix oatmeal with hamburger meat.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A LOT of things are light years better today including clothing, bullets,scopes, medical treatment, cheap air conditioning etc. vehicles are a lot more reliable.

The deer herd is huge now compared to those days. As a kid it was news when anyone in the area got a buck (does were restricted to one day of the season) Today I can legally kill 6 deer if I have the freezer space.

But, There are a lot of things I miss about growing up in the 1960's and 70's.

Being able to say what's on your mind without first checking to see if it's on the list of "What we're offended by today."

High school parking lots with pickup truck gun racks sporting a .22 rifle, shotgun, or deer rifle and no one giving it a second thought. Never heard of a school shooting then.

Everybody knew which bathroom to use.

Hunting land,both public and private was everywhere and just about everybody would give you permission to hunt their place.

Quail! We had scads of quail on the ranch and so did everyone else. Getting a limit of Bobwhites was a given.
They are gone now. I've seen exactly 3 quail this season which is 3 more than last year.

A kid could strap a .22 rifle to his bike and head off to a friends house to squirrel hunt and no one batted an eye. Today, SWAT teams would roll out in response.

And most of all, One more hunt with my Dad and uncles. I'd happily give up all the modern advancements for that.

Last edited by BigDogBoogie; 08/22/16.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The past is great for all of us old people because most of the BS is behind us. No more getting up taking care of sick babies, no more house notes etc. I could go on and on.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bbear
Getting to spend time with my Dad ONE more time.

You're right!

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (204guy, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 163bc, 55 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.