Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My good friend Mike Hodges, along with his friend also named Mike, and myself floated the Missouri over the weekend. Man, we had a great trip. Fishing there just never gets old despite the hundreds of guides, dudes, and fly swatting drift boats. While we don't enjoy seeing the hordes of people, we make our own fun and let the fish keep us distracted.

Here is one of the first fish of the day and I think the best rainbow I landed that day.
[Linked Image]

Me doing my thing and right in the middle of my Happy Place!
[Linked Image]

Mike's friend Mike had the magic touch for browns on the float. He caught more browns than the other two of us combined.
[Linked Image]

Mike Hodges wasn't to be outdone and landed some very nice fish of his own.
[Linked Image]

About an hour into the trip I was attempted to release a nice rainbow I had caught when he pitched a fit and the hook came loose unexpectedly. The lure came shooting back at my hand like at arrow and the treble hook buried itself in the tip of my left index finger. Hurt like a son of a gun. Pert near cussed. Anyway it took me a while but I was able to remove the hook from the lure, clip the other two barbs off, and then stabilize the hook with a Band-Aid so it wouldn't flop around or catch on anything. It was early in the trip and I didn't want everyone to have to cut their trip short on my account so we went right back to fishing. I fished for 5 more hours with that hook in my finger.
[Linked Image]

The fishing was great and I had no regrets. Heck we even did a second float and picked up few more fish. Here's one from the second float of the day. The two Mike's kicked my butt for the size on browns. I thought mine were still decent though, plus I caught more fish than both of them combined, so that has to count for something. Did it with a hook in my finger no less, so Mike H verbally awarded me a Man Card for the day for toughing it out. smile
[Linked Image]

Is it Friday yet?
GB1

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My favorite photo of the day is this one. This happened right at the end of our trip. Both Mike's hooked into great fish and we got a double landed in the boat. After that we wrapped up the day and headed back into Great Falls. The two Mike's went their way and I went to the hospital. Having the doctor remove the hook hurt way worse than the initial injury, but it's all good now and I hope to be back on the water this week. Lesson learned here, pinch all your barbs! I do it on a lot of lures , but this was a new lure and I had forgotten to pinch them. Had I done so, the hook extraction would have been simple and relatively painless. Learn from my mistake and save yourself a spendy trip to the doctor.
[Linked Image]

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ditto on the awesome. Double ditto on the ouch.

You haven't learned the string and jerk method yet? Or didn't think it was appropriate for this stick?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wasn't appropriate. The doc wanted to do that originally but had to make an incision instead.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I suspected as much. Looked OOOOOOOgly.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice work!! Montana has the prettiest trout in the world!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're not fooling anyone by holding the fish out at arms length and photographing them with a wide angle lens. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Looks excellent Troy. I quit fishing the Mo 30 years ago because of the crowds...but Im glad you guys had a good time!
That was really a good job of setting that hook! eek

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great story, great photos and darn nice trout... thanks for sharing!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

182 members (10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 5sdad, 360bull, 1_deuce, 31 invisible), 1,303 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.