Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 27 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 26 27
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The binos could hold some interest, but the scope offerings are behind the times. They remind me of the efforts of 15 or 20 years ago, ala Burris BP, Nikon BDC, etc, with minimal erector travel of questionable reliability, reticles that take a bunch of screwing around to make work second-nature, and SFP designs that can leave a guy cursing if he tries to use said reticle in the heat of the moment on a respectable critter and realizes he's on the wrong mag setting...

But a Razor-esque bino at sub-$700 wouldn't suck.

Agree with you on the binocuar thing. You seem to have a voice of reason, unlike some others here, so I'll ask you a question (asked dc223 earlier but got no response):

I'm not in the market for a riflescope, but let's assume I am. Take the Toric 3-15x42 w/plex reticle. What precisely would hinder me from taking big game out to 330 yds, like I've done on probably 95% of the big game animals I've shot at?

JG,

Assuming the adjustments work properly and the scope holds zero, and assuming the POI doesn't shift when the mag changes, and assuming the reticle is bold and clear, all of which is questionable at this point- nothing. Much like a 4x Bushnell Scopechief. Heck, even iron or peep sights have enabled me to shoot things that far away. But just because the scope doesn't prevent you from shooting something at PBR, that doesn't make it the best choice for the money, nor does it mean there aren't far more capable options out there, none of which will hinder you from killing at 330 yards, either. As an example and counter-question, how will the Toric you've cited enable you to kill big game at 330 yards better than you could with a SWFA SS 3-9x42 or 3-15x42? In my mind, it won't. But the SS will enable you to do a bunch of things that the Toric won't.

This scope wasn't designed to zero and simply shoot PBR to 330 yards max, which is evidenced by the BDC reticle and Tract's phrasing claiming it to be intended for the LR hunter and shooter. So for what it was designed and is advertised to do, there are much better alternatives in a number of different price ranges.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fair enough Jordan. I've had little trouble killing stuff out to MPBR (330'ish) since 1971, so I was wondering why these Tract duplex reticle'd scopes sucked so much and wouldn't allow that. Especially with no one having seen one.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Quite the thread! Zoinks. Making me rethink launching an optics company. Dang it. I was just getting my coke bottle and toilet paper tube inventory built up for the big launch!

MPBR isn't "long range"; that's a mistake I've seen elsewhere. Chuck Hawk biffs rather spectacularly on that regard on his Rifle Pages, which I find amusing at best..... Anyway, my only point is that "long range" starts well beyond 330 yards/MPBR, and there's a plethora of details in shooting LR, details in which the Devil can and will reside. smile

OP: I only read the first several pages, and I'm sure this has been a bit of a harsh experience, but you have been given a good dose of reality in the form of a dope-slap. That's not the worst outcome. If you truly intend to serve a discriminating market such as actual LR shooters, take notes, and call whomever it is that is engineering the scopes, and make double-damn sure they are rock-solid mechanically to the degree that several other easily-procured options are. Revisit the reticle. Make sure the glass itself is at least "very good" but honestly, that's the last place to focus... IF this is truly the market you want to serve. If instead you just want to be another hunting scope with a BDC and decent glass, then really, it's all about the marketing more than the merits of the actual product.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
MPBR isn't "long range"; that's a mistake I've seen elsewhere. Chuck Hawk biffs rather spectacularly on that regard on his Rifle Pages, which I find amusing at best..... Anyway, my only point is that "long range" starts well beyond 330 yards/MPBR, and there's a plethora of details in shooting LR, details in which the Devil can and will reside. smile

Where did I elude to anything long range for my hunting? And where does it say anything about being the end all, be all long range hunting scope in here?:

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes/toric-3-15x42-t-plex

Probably 90% of the hunting population neither gives a ratsazzz or needs dots/hashes/ etc to get stuff killed, myself included. That being said, I will eventually fart around with a SS 3-9MQ to see what all the fuss is about.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't say how they compare to other scopes of similar design, but modern scope technology has progressed beyond that design.

Most any scope you can buy will work, if all you require is to be able to kill out to 330. If you care that the scope reliably works mechanically, and is designed to facilitate that, then your choices are narrowed drastically.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey JG! I'm not warmed up enough to participate in this thread; gonna pull a muscle <g>. You guys are lathered up and ready to ROCK! Meant no offense. I was just riffing off your mention of 330 yards in the context of a scope being offered as a LR alternative.

Back to relaxing on my deck. It has been the Mother of all July's in terms of company and house guests. Got the day off before the next wave hits and I'm not spending it arguing OPTICS of all things <g>. Carry on gents.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Where did I elude to anything long range for my hunting? And where does it say anything about being the end all, be all long range hunting scope in here?:

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes/toric-3-15x42-t-plex

Probably 90% of the hunting population neither gives a ratsazzz or needs dots/hashes/ etc to get stuff killed, myself included. That being said, I will eventually fart around with a SS 3-9MQ to see what all the fuss is about.

JG,

Here's the problem with the way it's advertised:

"The TORIC is the riflescope for the long-range hunter and shooter."

"3-15x42 TORIC is engineered for the hunter who needs the very best whether hunting in the hardwoods or over a long range bean field."

The fact that it's designed with 1/4" per 100 yard clicks, rather than factors of true MOA or Mils, runs contrary to the above claims...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey JG! I'm not warmed up enough to participate in this thread; gonna pull a muscle <g>. You guys are lathered up and ready to ROCK! Meant no offense. I was just riffing off your mention of 330 yards in the context of a scope being offered as a LR alternative.

Back to relaxing on my deck. It has been the Mother of all July's in terms of company and house guests. Got the day off before the next wave hits and I'm not spending it arguing OPTICS of all things <g>. Carry on gents.

No problemo.....It's been 104-109* here everyday this month, and I've had the perpetual redasss....... smirk

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jordan, feel free to obsess over it, but I won't. Anybody with half a brain can see the difference in the scopes mentioned on Toric's website, and apply appropriately to their wants and needs. I see the particular model I mentioned as being akin to the CDS system at Leupold, one that works quite well for lots of people. Some will find them interesting, accordingly, some will not.....I personally could care less what people think about them.

Last edited by JGRaider; 07/14/16.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well then we agree. A 5-second glance told me what I needed to know...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
sawbuck,

It'll take multiple decades of flogging,to begin to eek an extrapolation to the LEGENDARY Classic's resolve. Cain't know of anyone who's had a failure,but one pard sought to have his re-armored and the transaction/transition was fast/easy.

My original Classic mainstays are well beyond haggard,due a penchant to ACTUALLY use wares and I've done the lenses NO fhuqking favors over the years and the body is beat up good too,because I've oft used 'em as a rifle rest. They've never missed a lick and I long ago got tired of pointing fingers and trying to clock the Swaro and Leica Faction in,on where a Splendid Beastie was located...so they could see it too.

[Linked Image]

That'll be easier now,with the Rupold MK4 Gen 2 FFP Spotter..................(grin)

Dre,

What "happened" is the same old schit. A Snake Oil Salesman came slurking along to peddle bogus wares...the DUMBEST Of Fhuqks swooned the Goat Fhuqks and The Astute are marveling at the amount of Retardation involved by requisite,to fall for something so very GLARING in it's absolute shortcomings. Congratulations?!?

You get to add more HILARITY than most,because on top off being a DUMB enough Fhuqk to fall for the ploy(s)...you are a Broke Dick who cain't even ante up for the "privilege". The ONE hilarious constant about you Window Licking CLUELESS Kchunts is,that when it's all said and done...there will have been a fhuqk of a LOT more said,than done.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.................

'g5,

The Tract DUMB Fhuqks do not want ANY good ideas,because it would crush their every Lie and they simply wished to be lauded for the oblivious hilarity they pulled out of their asses and are rolling with,for the unsuspecting Boobs such as yourself. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

'oz,

There is NO slighting how very WELL founded your countless Insecurities are,you CLUELESS Whining Kchunt. Congratulations?!?

Did you "forget" about your Imaginary Ignore Pretend yet again? What were the "odds",that besides being amongst the DUMBEST Of Fhuqks,that you are also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot? Wishing you were a Texan,ain'tcha? Laughing!

Didja' make ANY headway since you last "threatened" your Imaginary Pretend Ignore? Didn't think so. Now go source a mirror,wipe the Macara stained tears from your eyes and with your cracking high-pitched nasal whine say "I don't care,I don't care...I don't care!" and then fire back with "I could too,I could too...I could too!". Be sure to check back in,when it starts "working" for you. Laughing!

Cheer up...I've never seen a Bear,so please don't "tease" me about that anymore. Laughing!

You poor poor(literally) STUPID Fhuqk. Pic a color.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's your Imagination,so be sure to Pretend with it as you MUST and I cain't wait for your next Hurt Feelers Report/Vagina Monologue and am feigning my GREAT "surprise" that for some "reason",you went welllllllllllllll outta your way to refrain saying a single fhuqking word about Glass,The Rifle or The Outdoors. What were the fhuqking "odds"?!?

You Do NOTHING DUMB Fhuqks are a hoot!

Bless your heart.

'22,

Now don't go slighting how "real" Imaginary Pretend Ignore is,to them who NEED it most!

Someone had best remind poor poor (literally) fhuqking STUPID 'oz...that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery and that she's doing "great".

Bless her heart.

Laughing!................

Oldelkchunt,

Do tell about the sweet "satisfactions" that are your's,due a "Life" spent being a Broke Dick Turd Polishing CLUELESS Fhuqk. Congratulations?!?

Just what "vocation" "enables" one to "do" that "much"? Laughing!

Pardon money having always grown on trees and it's no thang to whittle as requisite,to procure as mood strikes. Hint. Cheer up...everyone THINKS they "know" someone who can "do" it...you "lucky" kchunt. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Banged around all day yesterday,after having removed the stench of a Reupold 4.5-14X 30mm M1 offa THE Rock 223AI. Tossed a 10x MOA/MOA aboard,atop the inclined Marty ring/rail and with a 250yd zero using 50's at 3700fps+,it had 81.5MOA remaining on the erector and the 20MOA on the windshield,do not suck for 120MOA+ all in. That's only (2) Turdics. Hint. Google it. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Weather was fair to middlin' and never had to contend more than 12MOA of wind holdoff at the 875yd line with said platform,flingin' Forming Loads and the reticle happily slid that paltry sum easily. Subtention upon this one was DEAD on too and I certainly whirled THE Fhuqk outta the ele turret,after confirming same. No suplizes there,though I only shot 300+ rounds through it,as I got hung up bangin' away with THE Baby 270 and 105's.

Mebbe take the time to "explain" the ONLY fhuqking thing you can in the first hand and that's what it is like to have been soooooooooooo fhuqking STUPID,for soooooooo fhuqking long and quantify how long it took your Whine to reach such magnitude. Spare no "details".

Cheer up,I've a fair to middlin' Part Time job and "only" get 6 months of vacation a year...as you "live" vicariously.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!......................

'Raider,

It is uproariously FASCINATING,that you can "know" so LITTLE,about so fhuqking MUCH. Congratulations?!?

Only a fhuqking Texan could take Snake Oil Lies and Goat Fhuqked wares and use her pointy head,to construe the Colossal Fhuqking STUPIDITY as an "advantage"! There was NO need for you to clarify how you could not "critique" a Dixie Cup,nor the oblivious hilarity surrounding your version of "knowledge","experience" and "results". Only a Texan could try to "boast" about being CLUELESS her whole "life" and how that is an "advantage". I'm fhuqking crying...I'm laughing sooooooooooo fhuqking hard.

You GO girl!

Bless your heart.

Jeff O,

Your BEST is never not fhuqking HILARIOUS! Congratulations?!?

Hopefully the Tract packaging is velcro sealed,just for you.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..................

Jordan,

Only in Texas would a Manufacturer's "Specification Sheet" denote:

"This scope is for DUMB Fhuqks...who've been STUPID their entire "life" and has the "specifications" Engineered by a "Genius" to keep that constant. The lenses are Cherry flavored."

Laughing!

Spin 'Raider (1) revolution the other side of the barned wire in a hayfield and she'd not be able to find her way back to the Golf Cart by herself. Then she'd PROVE it. Laughing!

I keep replaying the "Genius's" video,trumpeting the Turdic as being "THE Premiere Long Range Scope"...the DUMB Fhuqk could win an Academy Award for such incredible Acting!

The ONLY reason this schit is fhuqking FUNNY,is because DUMB Fhuqks are oblivious to their glaring Dumbfhuqktitude and doing the "best" they can,with what incredibly little they have to "work" with.

Bless their hearts.

Laughing!

Time to stoke '335 in formed cases,for a screamin' batch of 50's and make another batcha' 7-08AI 162's at 2850fps...wind might come up someday.(grin).........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
+P bear pics.

I think Trevor done hit eject.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trevor didn't/doesn't have a SINGLE Fhuqking move to make,other than wait to go bust. Tough "Sales Pitch" to dangle outright fhuqking Lies,in regards to your Colossal Goat Fhuqks and to expect anything other than dismal failure(s). Though in fairness...it IS funnier than fhuqk!

The Mail Gods smiled yesterday and kudos to Brownell's for cranking out parcels quick. Barrel nut wrench(PRI DPMS/KAC Double Dipper) and barrel extension wrench(Brownell's) arrived just in time,for the 1-7" 5R SPR contoured Rifle Gas .750" blocked 20" 243Win SAAMI bitch. Heated the issued OEM barrel nut and things came apart nicely.

The barrel shank and index pin were pleasingly snuggerish and certainly a press fit on install. Gooped as per my always and it took about 60-ish grunt pounds to index the gas tube in relation to the 'nut.

[Linked Image]

I prefer RRA-ish FF tubes with the 2nd locking shoulder,as it makes indexing sling studs,etc. a whole bunch easier...but simply shortened the fore section a CH,to index square to torquetitude. Goop a given there too.

[Linked Image]

Nice to place the extension wrench on a pivoting head breaker bar,so one can stare witness indexing in the face. Makes it a breeze to nail the tube timing and FF timing.

[Linked Image]

Knew going in,that this was gonna be a Spelunking Krunchenticker,so didn't fret driving Lapooey Virgins for it's yeomen Utility duties. Snagged a herd of PPU 243Win Virgins and simply grabbed 90% of their neck length in the sizer,confirmed headspace were plausible and only VLD deburred the internal mouth for "prep". '17 was thrown on top off 200's,with a moly 105 Hornie HPBT Smooch at 2.800"...leaving a goodly amount of land chasin' in the ASC 10-rounders slated to the platform. Hipshot the first poke from a single loaded mag and headspace confirmations were reconfirmed and the bolt locked back on the dry mag,which is a step in the right direction. Flopped MPAJ Hasty Prone with a Harris Baby Man Notched Bitch and the 1st poke was a scant 1.5 Mils right and 1.2 Mils low from the prior spouts 200yd zero(Skinners at 2750fps ala OEM 1-10" Three Oh Not So Great spout). That input were subtended,the turrets driven in accords and poke #3 had my 225yd zero established. From there I whistled some through the chronograph,then gunned a hasty trio,with no real expectations because I was still laying moly down in the pristine bore(JB/Kroil,Rubbing Alcohol pre-poke prep). Only loaded (2) charge weights and the 2nd was right at 2800fps,which is a touch pedestrian in a 20" Krunchenticker,though for shots 7,8 and 9 outta a pristine bore,it done purty good.

[Linked Image]

Charge weight was bumped and I'd figured 2850fps-ish,but it was right at 2900fps,which is a nice "problem" to have. With the 225yd zero(reestablished),the MQ reticle grants the 1100yd line,which is a nice way to cover some ground on a minimal recoil platform,which is easy to catch trace/impact upon. 5 Mil wind in 10mph full value transpires at the 1600yd line,which ain't horrid either. I prefer this contour to OEM and it balances a touch better.

[Linked Image]

Flared the exhaust port,to radius all impediments in order to make it brass friendlier. Have one of Slash's HEAVY Buffers/springs enroute,as well as a Troy adjustable 'block for giggles. A pard needs the Troy for his 1-8" BHW 243Win SAAMI 20" as it is wayyyyyyyyy over-gassed,so I'll kick it to him,just because I hate to have someone poke a nearly empty box in the mail.(grin)

If the stars align,the Donkey that PSA strapped the Geissele SSA-E to,will arrive today and the platform will be close to complete(even though I hate 2-stage fire control systems on a Gasser). Did away with the Faux PSG-1 grip and an Ergo pistol grip is enroute,so all will be nipped.

Fhuqked up and forgot to toss some Extry Fhuqking High 'Horn rings in the cart,so as to eek another 10 Mils or so outta the erector,as I'm right at 20 Mils of up on the erector alone,as configured currently. It'll reach a mile as configured all in,but the Sig LRF loves to go quite a ways past that and so do I.

Phone Skope ships purty fast as well and their schit was as billed. The Reupold MK4 FFP Gen2 Spotter happily accepted it's adapter and to my suplize,the Iphone 6s in it's Lifeproof case,mounted correctly too. The rechargeable remote even fhuqking works. Not being hip on an intervalometer that doesn't take batteries,I snagged (3) more remotes that do and I'll be curious to see if they are worth a fhuqk. They're 3rd Party,so I'm always dubious going down that path and hold zero expectations in their regard.

[Linked Image]

Today is Comeup Confirmation Day,to see how the .473" SelfShucker holds up multiple zipcodes away and it'll be nice to hit the remote and film subtension through the 67180 and correlate it to the Fixed Fhuqker MQ in extrapolation...though I already KNOW them answers.(grin)

LOTSA fhuqking feesh and if I had a Turdic I'd take it to the creek and knock some in the head,as that's THE extent of it's Long Range "abilities".

Pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess.

Hint.

Laughing!

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Wonder how many optics companies the nay-sayers own/run?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The 8x42 Toric binocular is an absolute steal of a deal, even at full retail.

kenjs1 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
thank you for the input JG

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The 8x42 Toric binocular is an absolute steal of a deal, even at full retail.

Thanks JG.

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Kenjs1 & Raider, Do either of you have any relationship with Tract or any of its employees on either a business or personal level? Any at all?

kenjs1 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
nope. I just appreciated the chat I had with the founder. I have yet to actually see any of their stuff.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Kenjs1 & Raider, Do either of you have any relationship with Tract or any of its employees on either a business or personal level? Any at all?

All that deserved was a "no comment".

Page 10 of 27 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (22kHornet, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,287
Posts18,467,895
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.