Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just an observation. I shoot a springer, not a pcp.

Hitting a 1" target the great majority of the time at 50 yards is rather easy using the primos trigger sticks.

The practice doing this is priceless for anyone planning an African Safari. Shooting sticks are the norm on a plains game hunt.

My rifle has 10fpe at 50 yards. More then enough to take out small game and birds. In the UK 12fpe is the legal limit at the muzzle. Most folks there use 11-11.5 to be sure they are legal. They are hunting rabbits to 50 yards routinely

Wind is the biggest hurdle to shooting longer range. 30 yards is a chip shot even if shooting a mouse, or a pigeons head!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think springers get a bad rap. I have never really had one that was not accurate. They take a little work to shoot really well but minute of sparrow to 30 or 40 yards is common and easy. I like to shoot off a set of shooting sticks that has a leather crotch - it allows the gun to move when shot yet be very stable to aim with. When I really get serious about seeing what a gun can do I shoot off a rolled up sleeping bag. At 10 yards they are usually one holers, at 25, 10 in a dime is pretty common. Over that and it has to be a very nice day without any wind to shoot a really tight (quarter size) group. Keep them in their wheelhouse range and they area wicked accurate and a lot of fun. A nice spring air rifle is the fountain of youth for me. They always put a smile on my face.

Wind really can be a bear with any pellet - the BC of a whopping .022 really rares its head when shooting over 25 or 30 yards in the wind. Part of the fun though, actually having to understand ballistics and use what you know.

Last edited by centershot; 07/08/16.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Springers held every Olympic record in 10m shooting up until the mid-80s when they were overtaken by CO2 guns and later by PCP's. The scores are not dramatically higher now than they were then. Springers get a bad rap because so many sold in the American market prioritize power over accuracy and as power goes up, the technique required to shoot them well becomes more difficult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Springers held every Olympic record in 10m shooting up until the mid-80s when they were overtaken by CO2 guns and later by PCP's. The scores are not dramatically higher now than they were then. Springers get a bad rap because so many sold in the American market prioritize power over accuracy and as power goes up, the technique required to shoot them well becomes more difficult.

True that - add to that the fact that most of the Ruger's Remington's etc are rebadged junk from china with crap triggers and overall poor workmanship then they get compared to a $1200 pcp. Anyone that has every shot a Beeman R7 sure knows different............

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A nice spring air rifle is the fountain of youth for me. They always put a smile on my face.

Boy, I couldn't agree more. I've gotten rid of the scopes and just use iron sights now for the "fun factor". My groups aren't dime size at 25 yards (more like 2") but I'm still having a lot of fun at 77 yrs old. An HW57 is my newest rifle and I sure do like those sights and of course the trigger.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are some nice peep sights available - I put a marble sight on my muzzeloader. It's like a peep with an open top, works great. Can make a world of difference when your eyesight is not what it used to be.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
199 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.