Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Was checking them out online today and thought it would be perfect for smoking but I am wondering if I can still get a reading on my phone from in the house or garage? Says range of 150 ft but it seems most reviews say otherwise

Anybody using one?

Thank you in advance

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Walk over and take a peek. Exercise does a body good.

Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey are you calling me fat.......lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope. Walk over laugh and smell the roses er,.. ah,.. food. grin

Sniff, sniff. mmmmmmm good!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I replaced 4 digital thermometers on my smoker in two years. First one lasted 5 years, but the newer ones conk out. I would be afraid to invest more.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been using a Redicheck for several seasons. It's one of the dual problem models with a meat and grate sensor. It works well and while it's often no big deal to wander out to look, it's nice during a 10 hour session to have the remote and be able to wander at will and glance at it when taking care of other stuff.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
I've been using a Redicheck for several seasons. It's one of the dual problem models with a meat and grate sensor. It works well and while it's often no big deal to wander out to look, it's nice during a 10 hour session to have the remote and be able to wander at will and glance at it when taking care of other stuff.

I believe I have the sane unit as Allen, actually two of them.(ET-73)
Initially I was very satisfied but within a few years the cables became problematic. My smoker is very consistent in its operation so lately I've gone back to a old fashioned digital probe type therm. Still use the ET-73 but not as often.

YMMV.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Denny, I've been testing the iGrill for a local bbq store, and IMO it's a piece of crap. Nothing beats a Maverick or a Thermapen when it comes to getting bbq right. No one has produced a fail safe thermometer that can hold a candle to either of those IMO.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Denny, I've been testing the iGrill for a local bbq store, and IMO it's a piece of crap. Nothing beats a Maverick or a Thermapen when it comes to getting bbq right. No one has produced a fail safe thermometer that can hold a candle to either of those IMO.

Mike
+1 amen

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing beats a Maverick or a Thermapen

No problems at all with my Therma Mini however I have two Mavericks purchased about a year apart and it seems that some of the intermittent issues can be traced to the cables and not to the transmitter or receiver . Unfortunately I never marked the units or the wires so I just mix and match till evah thang iz up and runnin'.In an odd sort of way it adds to my BBQ experience. wink grin laugh

Go forth and cook stuff friends.

IC B3

Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Mike

Well this is dissapointing as the iGrill was one of the units I was looking at, I guess I had better look into the Maverick

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Mike

Love my Thermapens and also use the Duotherm and Blutherm from Thermoworks (apparently the blutherm is discontinued now). Both are two two-channel type-K thermocouple based temperature measure devices. The Duotherm is a simple handheld unit with a readout for both channels. The Blutherm, however, is bluetooth based with an app that I can monitor inside on my ipad while the smoker/cooker is churning away. The app also records data and plots continuously. The plot below is a pork butt I did over the 4th with data taken every 10 minutes.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry 32-20 fan. I'm not one of those electronic cooks that require a freakin' printout to render a pork butt into good eats.

If this is what it's come to then the true BBQ experience is in lost.

Electronic monitoring is best reserved for ankle bracelets rather than pulled pork.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Sorry 32-20 fan. I'm not one of those electronic cooks that require a freakin' printout to render a pork butt into good eats.

If this is what it's come to then the true BBQ experience is in lost.

Electronic monitoring is best reserved for ankle bracelets rather than pulled pork.

Never said I needed a electronic doo-hickie to produce good eats...have cooked hundreds of briskets, butts, ribs, etc without probe-raping a piece of meat to produce something good. It's a tool, I've been in DAQ for 3 decades and enjoy smoking meat...seemed like something worth trying given my career and tinkering with an offset cooker.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tell us more about your offset experiences, please.

I had an el cheapo offset many years ago and enjoyed cooking on it very much however for me to purchase a quality unit wouldn't be cost effective for me as the wife doesn't eat meat very often which means it's just me and the dog.

What's DAQ ?

Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a backyard enthusiast that discovered an offset stick burner a little over 15 years ago and have been enjoying it ever since. Give me some pecan, hickory, or oak and I'll gladly stoke a fire for 14-16 hrs with a brisket in the works. My stick burner is a simple offset unit made in Laredo using 1/4" steel that can handle a couple briskets...nothing even close to competition lines but for entertaining family and friends works great. I enjoy tackling most of the popular cuts but have to say beef plate rib 123A has to be my favorite.

DAQ is data acquisition. As an engineer by trade, my particular field is heavily burdened by data gathering and analysis so the temperature monitoring during smoking is driven by that interest...but as you noted certainly not need for great results. Heck most of the time a tug, pull, jiggle, or poke tells you it's time for some damn fine eats.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks 32-20. Offsets are a ton of work but kinda fun at the same time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 3,070 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.