-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got a Ruger African arriving in a few days (can't hardly wait!) in .375 Ruger and am wondering if I need to to anything proactive with the stock. I've seen numerous accounts of the wood stocks cracking but intuition tells me the way laminates are constructed and the unique Ruger recoil lug means I don't have anything to worry about.

I'm not really concerned about accuracy issues till I shoot it and it will likely stay an open sighted platform so not looking for BR groups. I might skim bed it just to ensure consistency if I feel it's needed.

Just want to make sure there is no cause to go full bore on the thing and relieve the tang, etc. to prevent cracking. Any experience appreciated.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Relieve tang and bed the damn thing.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bed the damn recoil lug and rock on... This chit aint rocket science... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Ruger tang safety 416 taylor that removed the laminated wood behind the recoil lug within just a few shots. Depending on how important the hunt is, I'd glass the lug at the least and put in a cross bolt just for good measure. I repaired mine that way and hundreds of rounds later it is still good to go. Think about the direction those laminations are running.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
.375 is about the place where Stratabond splits. The post above this is your best bet. Or buy a full-bed Hogue.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead

What he said...

Crossbolts lost all advantage when epoxy was invented.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There was another thread on this a couple months ago, after that my laminated 375 ruger went to the gunsmith for bedding, expecting it back soon.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
What Steelhead and SD said. Be sure there is relief around the action screws also.

Those things are supposed to hold parts together, not act as recoil lugs.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
What Steelhead and SD said. Be sure there is relief around the action screws also.

Those things are supposed to hold parts together, not act as recoil lugs.

Very good point.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got a really good deal on a 700KS in 300WM once... the previous owner had free-floated the recoil lug and the bolt handle was all that was acting as a recoil lug after the action screws bent over...

Still laugh thinking about what the shooter's face must have looked like after torching that bad boy off!

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MojoHand
I'm not really concerned about accuracy issues till I shoot it....

shocked shocked

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead

... don’t forget to relieve the tang too! smile

FWIW, birch laminate is at least as likely to split, perhaps more so, than solid walnut is, but Steelhead and las give good advice which, if followed, should circumvent any problems.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 51 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,330
Posts18,468,566
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.