Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Even hunting an OTC unit is better than sitting home wishing you were hunting

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Even hunting an OTC unit is better than sitting home wishing you were hunting

True.

But I'd rather hunt cow tuna than OTC hunt.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hard to do that here in CO.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You can rent horses from Sombrero Ranch, I hear you have to hold on real tight! I've killed most of my elk and mule deer in Units 12 and 13 with an outfitter. I've seen as many as 600 elk at a time, the private land is surrounded by BLM and a lot of elk get pushed onto it. I killed my first elk in 1996 on 10/19 and it snowed 16" and my last elk the first week of November in 2008 and it was 70 degrees. I suggest finding some BLM that is generally hard to get into and then get as far back as you can and sit tight. Good luck!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The list of leftover licenses will be made available July 27th.

Everyone in my group has cow tags but I'm recommending everyone get bull tgs as well so they don't end up like my hunting buddy did a decade or so back. In spite of similar urging then, he only had a cow tag and found himself in the middle of 9 legal bulls with the longest shot being about 50 yards. Went home empty handed.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That's not funny. It happened to me three years ago. I had a Cow tag and for the first time, did not get a Bull tag. Started out of camp and got about 1/2 mile when a nice 5X5 walked out around 50 yards from me. It snowed so hard after that we had to go to BLM land further down. Did get a Cow but would have loved that double. In-state licenses are so cheap for y'all I wouldn't even consider going into the woods without both. As a matter of fact, even for the extra $600 I will also have both.

Good luck to y'all this year.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I always get two licenses, but for two different season. Gives me almost 20 days in the field hunting elk and I don't care anymore if I don't fill out any tags

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I drew a buck pronghorn so that alone will eat up 6 days of vacation

Pull in 4 days vacation for Missouri rifle deer and then another 4 days for Oklahoma rifle deer

With only 20 days a year I probably am better off not trying an OTC 2nd or 3rd

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I always get two licenses, but for two different season. Gives me almost 20 days in the field hunting elk and I don't care anymore if I don't fill out any tags

What a great idea. I would love to spend a few more days up there. That would make it a four week trip instead of two. I have to go up a week early regardless, just to acclimate. A day in Denver, two in Steamboat and then up to the camp for three days before the season starts. After 30 years of going up there the hunting has become just an excuse to be there. Thanks for the suggestion.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ro1459

What a great idea. I would love to spend a few more days up there. That would make it a four week trip instead of two. I have to go up a week early regardless, just to acclimate. A day in Denver, two in Steamboat and then up to the camp for three days before the season starts. After 30 years of going up there the hunting has become just an excuse to be there. Thanks for the suggestion.

I always put in for a cow elk muzzle loader tag which I have always drawn and that is a "B" tag. I leave the Wednesday before the Saturday opening day and come back home the Monday after season closes.So that is 12 days. Then I buy an "A" tag,OTC w/cap for the 2nd rifle elk season and that is another 12 days. I tuck a muzzle loader deer tag in eastern CO, between the two for 4-5 days. I am retired so I get a few more days vacation than some.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/24/16.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The 'B' list is a Colorado elk hunters friend. I always hunt two seasons and sometimes I decide not to shoot, if I've been successful during my first season. 4th season is a great time to kill coyotes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 43 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,325
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.