Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Baer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Can anyone recommend a good OTC unit with public land? I've been looking at 11,12 or 13. Any thought?

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Never hunted 13, but as for 11 we have only hunted it after a heavy snowfall and the migration is on. Unit 12 is a very good area with plenty of public areas. It is heavily hunted though and you would do better if you have or can rent horses to get a few miles away from the road. First season in 12 is rough...a sea of orange. Second season is better but still orange. The third season can be tough as well, depending on the year. There is a group of twenty hunters from California that come up every other year. I would suggest you look in the Thornburg Area of 12. Try along Milk creek. There is a campground close to a large lake that sometimes is not too busy. Hit and miss. Also, there are three outfitters in other areas of 12 and they do not go to the Thornburg area.

Good luck with your hunt.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hunted unit 13 last yr and majority of it is private what blm and state land their is, is in very rough country better have a good pack frame cause you won't be driving anywhere near it to haul it out. I never hunted 11 but from what I read and heard the elk head straight to private ground..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just about any public land, OTC unit, is hit pretty hard by hunters now days, 11,1 2,13 included. Hunting the 3rd season migration cuts down on that, but 1st season is usually a sea of orange,horses or not.I don't hunt them because of that.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Baer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you all for the advice. I'm not sure horses are an option for me. I'll have to rely on shoe leather. So it sounds like later (3rd season) is better. That said, what is the weather like at that time of year?

Last edited by Baer; 07/13/16.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are there 3rd season otc tags?

I thought 2nd season was it

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, there are 3rd season OTC. Same as 2nd season, 5 day gap between 2nd and 3rd. More of locals and Californians season. Out of staters generally prefer 1st (limited) and 2nd (OTC) due to milder weather.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Baer
Thank you all for the advice. I'm not sure horses are an option for me. I'll have to rely on shoe leather. So it sounds like later (3rd season) is better. That said, what is the weather like at that time of year?

If you are after just after meat dont care about horns I would buy a left over unit 12 cow tag for 3rd season. They go on sale Aug 4th I think.

Last edited by 79S; 07/13/16.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Yes, there are 3rd season OTC. Same as 2nd season, 5 day gap between 2nd and 3rd. More of locals and Californians season. Out of staters generally prefer 1st (limited) and 2nd (OTC) due to milder weather.

I hunt 3rd when I can but most non resident hunters from East of Colorado skip the 4th season because it clashes with the deer rifle seasons in the Eastern states.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

If you are after just after meat dont care about horns I would buy a left over unit 12 cow tag for 3rd season. They go on sale Aug 4th I think.

Looks like July 26th they go on sale!

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The weather during the 3rd season varies greatly in Unit 12. Last year we had a couple of snows, temps in the 40's during the day, 20's at night. Year before the same, but the year before that it started snowing during the 2nd season and did not stop during the 3rd. We had two to three feet of snow on the ground. As I said before, if you are going to hunt unit 12, try the Thornburg area. The Morapas Trail Head is very crowded and if the Californians come it will be extremely crowded. There is excellent hunting along Milk Creek and Three Points Mountain out of Thornburg. Our group will most likely be in that area as well since there will be fewer hunters over there. We will be in a 16 X 20 Davis Tent and have green Ford 150. Stop by if you come to this area and say hello. Unit 11 will be warmer and much less snow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Out of staters generally prefer 1st (limited) and 2nd (OTC) due to milder weather.

I hunt 3rd when I can but most non resident hunters from East of Colorado skip the 4th season because it clashes with the deer rifle seasons in the Eastern states.

This^^^^^^

I'd like to elk hunt the third/fourth season but I seem to kill elk in second plus don't have to miss the whitetail rut.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S

Leftover list will post on the website 7/27, on sale in person & by phone 9am 8/2, online midnight 8/3

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
oops I was looking at otc tags go on sale 26 July..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Those areas have elk and I've always had better luck 3rd season catching them moving from high country to lower ground across public land. Like hunting anything good luck and timing are better than a good plan. Hunting the edges of private borders away from easy trails and vehicle access has worked the best. Get a cow tag to up your odds for success.

There are hunters in those areas that get elk most years and others that are lucky to score one in 7 years of hunting. Being ready to make a 500 yard cross canyon shot or sneak up inside 30 yards in thick timber help your odds. Don't hang around too long in one place if you aren't seeing elk don't be afraid to move. The variety of altitude and terrain can really help you succeed in finding elk.........and root for a big snow 2 days before the opener.

Investing in gps software with borders of public and private is worth every penny hunting there. Crossing an unmarked property line by 50' to kill a nice bull could cost you thousands of dollars and having the knowledge of where the lines are can allow you to wait 2 minutes for your animal to be on public and legal instead of making an honest but expensive mistake.

B
Baer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks. I may look you up. But I won't make it out there this year. I'm trying to get everything in order for the 2017 season.

B
Baer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Excellent advice. Thanks!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
May as well go sit downtown Denver, prob. see less people hahahahahaha

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All you have to do is get more than 1000 yards from a road and you won't see many hunters.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In my experience, the best areas are limited entry. Start accumulating bonus points.

I hunt only draw units now. If I'm not drawn, I'll go fishing. If I hadn't been drawn, I'd of flown to Costa Rica huntin' cow tuna.

In OTC areas, even getting miles in you'll see other hunters.

My best hunt to date, which is likely to be a once-in-a-lifetime hunt, got me into what many call the best trophy bull elk unit in the nation. I still had to hunt hard. Nothing is easy in hunting. But I did kill a monster bull of a lifetime. He was 10 years old and weighed better than 900 pounds. The downside is it took many, many years to draw a tag. But it was worth it.

My first choice is Utah. Arizona and Nevada are excellent as well. I might try to draw a Wyoming rut hunt next year.

Maybe accumulating bonus points while hunting OTC units might be an idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.