Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The new EZ Loader boat trailer has oil bath bearings....all new to me.

My fishing trip is 1200 miles of rough road and I'd like to have spare seals etc.....have bearings/seals/grease for similar but older trailer.

Where to buy new type?

Any other suggestions?

Thanx

Vern

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
For backup I'd just have an extra standard style full hub assembly that fits your spindle and rim patterns. No need sitting beside the road trying to re-fill an oil bath assembly when you can be up and going so quickly with a pre-packed standard style. Worry about oil bath when you get back home.

That said, you're unlikely to have any problems with the oil bath, they're pretty trouble free.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Big trucks have used oil bath bearing for many years. They work.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1
For backup I'd just have an extra standard style full hub assembly that fits your spindle and rim patterns. No need sitting beside the road trying to re-fill an oil bath assembly when you can be up and going so quickly with a pre-packed standard style. Worry about oil bath when you get back home.

That said, you're unlikely to have any problems with the oil bath, they're pretty trouble free.

That's my plan as there isn't much for parts nor service where I'm headed. Same old kit I've always used.

Thanks

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
What horse1 said.
PJ

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The only trouble I've ever heard about w/OB's is if the view window breaks/cracks and all the oil runs out. Short of that they're pretty trouble free.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I just read an article about why oil baths are bad when used on boat trailers. I don't know the facts but here's what he says.

They work great on big trucks but a boat trailer is entirely different.
The main thing was that unlike a truck, a boat trailer will sit 95% of the time, especially in the winter. All the oil runs to the bottom of the hub and the top bearings can gather moisture and rust. He recommends rotating them at least every couple of weeks.
Next, going down the road the bearings get hot. Then you submerge them in cold lake water. The rapid cooling can draw moisture into the hub.

ARTICLE

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Maybe the semi trailer bearings are only 1/2 full, but the set I had on my Ranger boat took 10oz of 50wt oil and left no space for condensation. I put ~20k Mi on that trailer sans issue.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.