Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DINK

I guess I might as well realize I'm stuck with Glocks and good smith & wesson revolvers.

Dink
Nothing wrong with that.

That said, I've had at least a dozen 1911s that were as reliable (assuming serviced as recommended) as a Glock. Sure, I've had a few that were problematic, too. That's what happens when a design is made by dozens of companies on a mix and match of parts from dozens of parts makers.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I've shot 1911 mags loaded SINCE 1944 and they worked without a hitch. The first Khar I had would not re-cock every time and I had to send it back to get fixed. That was a 40. The next one, a 45, stovepiped with ball ammo about every fifth or sixth shot.
I had a Kahr K-40 for a while - just never liked that cartridge so it went out to someone else..

Which .45 did you have, the P-series? I have a P-45 that works perfectly BUT one has to have a really good grip on it in order for that model to work w/o a hiccup.. Any kind of even minor limp-wristing with that model and it'll stove-pipe.. That, and they all take about 2-300 rounds down the pipe to ensure proper break-in and performance..

FWIW.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
CW-45 and that's what I figured was the issue, but the way I looked at it, if I had to use it to defend myself, the last thing I wanted to remember was to be careful how I hold it. No issues with my 1911s, GLocks or Sigs.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Any kind of even minor limp-wristing with that model and it'll stove-pipe..
FWIW.
That must explain Jorge's problem with it. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Maybe I'm lucky but I never have problems from my 1911's

Luck has nothing to do with it..........your guns are just set up right from the git-go or likely were properly corrected if a problem did arise.

Lots of people shouldn't have 1911's...............just like lotsa people shouldn't be allowed to cross the street by themselves either.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Lots of people shouldn't have 1911's...............

Why is that?

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Any kind of even minor limp-wristing with that model and it'll stove-pipe..
FWIW.
That must explain Jorge's problem with it. grin

TRH made a funny.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by jwp475
Maybe I'm lucky but I never have problems from my 1911's

Luck has nothing to do with it..........your guns are just set up right from the git-go or likely were properly corrected if a problem did arise.

Lots of people shouldn't have 1911's...............just like lotsa people shouldn't be allowed to cross the street by themselves either.

MM

Exactly

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just find it strange how I never encounter all these bad 1911's. Now perhaps it's because I don't shoot 2,000 rounds per day for 5-10 days straight or something. But with normal numbers put through my guns, I have had ZERO problems. I only have two 1911's at current, one for 13 years, and one for 5 years now. Both get shot on a regular basis, and I haven't cleared a single malfunction out of either pistol. And all my friends who I go shooting with that have 1911's, none of them are having any problems.

There are a lot of great pistols out there, many better than the 1911, but the 1911 is typically a good pistol when built right.

All the Rugers I have played with have been very well made, and every one of them have worked.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

That said, I own a few 1911s and like them. But they're not for people who know zip about handguns..

You can get flamed around here for telling the truth like that RN. grin

The same goes for you Gun Geek. Both of you boys should know that old Browning design 1911 was never any good which is why it is still in production for over a hundred years, has gone through many wars, and has had many 10's of thousands of people sware by it.

Last edited by BobWills; 07/11/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What is a 1911?

Not all 1911s were created equal.

Not all 1911 mags are the same.

Not all ammo is the same.

But just having a jam and clearing it doesn't tell anything about what caused it. The Wilson mags have a known issue with springs that need to be replaced regularly. Wolff has an increased power spring that helps with those mags, but I don't use Wilson mags.

There are a number of variables to consider when troubleshooting.

The first solution is to feed the 1911 with ammo it likes and avoid ammo that doesn't feed well...that's a start.

Often the problem is related to a single mag in a group of mags that all look to be identical. Mark your mags and if one is found to be the culprit scrap it. If they are all problematic try another brand.

The 1911 is very reliable when fed correctly configured ammo from a mag that it was designed for. Most factory 1911s shipped with incorrect mags since the 70's. The correct mag design is the military pattern used through WWII that Colt supplied until sometime in the 70's, and most of the "improved" mag designs differ from that pattern and cause other issues.

What is a 1911?

1911a1...keep in mind that the original pattern was codifed for a reason and not chosen arbitrarily.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I just find it strange how I never encounter all these bad 1911's. Now perhaps it's because I don't shoot 2,000 rounds per day for 5-10 days straight or something. But with normal numbers put through my guns, I have had ZERO problems. I only have two 1911's at current, one for 13 years, and one for 5 years now. Both get shot on a regular basis, and I haven't cleared a single malfunction out of either pistol. And all my friends who I go shooting with that have 1911's, none of them are having any problems.

There are a lot of great pistols out there, many better than the 1911, but the 1911 is typically a good pistol when built right.

All the Rugers I have played with have been very well made, and every one of them have worked.
Of the dozen or so that I've owned, I've had problems with four. The Springfield Loaded model I bought early on in that run was useless out of the box. Springfield fixed it up, though, and threw in an action tune job. After that, it went thousands of rounds without a failure ... not one. The other two were Kimbers ... my only two Kimbers. Both were lemons. Both were also shorties, so that might be why.

Then there was the used Colt Officers ACP I bought in the 1980s. Worthless. Could be it just needed some spring and magazine switches, but I just sold it at a gun show. Whoever got it probably just did some spring and mag switches and resolved the problem, but I don't know. So that's four out of the dozen or so I've had. The remainder were, and have been, completely reliable to my experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
The correct mag design is the military pattern used through WWII that Colt supplied until sometime in the 70's, and most of the "improved" mag designs differ from that pattern and cause other issues.

Statements like that are why some people should never own 1911's.

MM

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I had no idea the 1911 was akin to Excalibur.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just goes to show that you can still learn something everyday............ wink

MM

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You people need help.

Dave

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O

Didn't you have one blow a extractor?

Dink

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Of the dozen or so that I've owned, I've had problems with four. The Springfield Loaded model I bought early on in that run was useless out of the box. Springfield fixed it up, though, and threw in an action tune job. After that, it went thousands of rounds without a failure ... not one. The other two were Kimbers ... my only two Kimbers. Both were lemons. Both were also shorties, so that might be why.

Then there was the used Colt Officers ACP I bought in the 1980s. Worthless. Could be it just needed some spring and magazine switches, but I just sold it at a gun show. Whoever got it probably just did some spring and mag switches and resolved the problem, but I don't know. So that's four out of the dozen or so I've had. The remainder were, and have been, completely reliable to my experience.

Didn't you have a Brown that wouldn't run?

Dink

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I am starting to think the 1911 guys that shoot just put up with them jamming and the rest of the 1911 guys don't shoot.

Guys make excuses for them magazine springs, ammo not right, bad grip, etc. you never hear glock, sig(non 1911) or HK owner say stuff like that.

I have had some good 1911s but they all are just waiting to let you down. I may try a sig 1911 and try one more time.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobWills

That said, I own a few 1911s and like them. But they're not for people who know zip about handguns..

You can get flamed around here for telling the truth like that RN. grin

The same goes for you Gun Geek. Both of you boys should know that old Browning design 1911 was never any good which is why it is still in production for over a hundred years, has gone through many wars, and has had many 10's of thousands of people sware by it.

Nope, total POS... Never amounted to nothing!!!

Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.