Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bbear Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes, I went to a gun show. First one in a few years. Got tired of the same ol' same ol'.
Today was a bit different. I was there helping a local organization find some donations for their event.
So, I'm wandering through the 8x fired brass, over-priced re-manufactured ammo and the 12 dozen $700 RAR's when I come to a gentleman with 6-8 rifles on his table.
He's got an original Krag still in military set up for $850. Over to the side though is a 'sporterized' Krag that someone didn't mess up too badly. The plate on the butt is oversized but the woodwork was done fairly well. Barrel wasn't cut down and still had the front sight on it. Bore is still sharp and no pitting that I could see. It had been d&t's for a side mount though.
He tells me he's been trying to 'give it away' and no one was interested so he was going to raise the price. We talked a bit more and I went on my way. His parting comment was that he'd sell it to me at the 'reduced' price.
I stopped down the aisle to check out the funds availability. Then wandered around some more.
A couple of hours later I went back. It was still there and I figured I'd throw a low number at him and see if he'd bite. He did. I got it for $150 OTD.
It's nothing fancy. But, it should prove to be a fun gun to muck around with at the range and maybe even take out hunting a time or three.

[Linked Image] <== 'High' quality butt plate smirk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Find a peep sight and a pad that will fit and bring this old one back to life.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
BP-B6

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I sold mine thinking it was the ugliest rifle ever, but it always shot well and was a great kid starter deer gun.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have an M1898 cutdown that is very similar to a DCM Krag. (1899 carbine stock, 21" barrel, '03 front sight) It wears a S&K Instamount with a 2-7 Leupold. It always puts the first 2 shots within an inch of each other and right at the point of aim. Third shot walks a little, but the gun is over 100 years old.

Yes, I've hunted deer with it, but never got a shot while I was carrying it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great find for the money. I'd of sure paid that or a little more.
I've got a couple of old semi "sporterized" Mausers, a 95 Chilean and 96 Swede. The more I look at and shoot old rifles like that or like the Krag you found the more I appreciate the quality, workmanship and knowledge of the gun makers of that time.

It's good to ring the 300 yard gong with one and have someone take a look at the rifle and say, damn, this things over a 100 years old.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For $150. OTD it would have left that show with me for sure. I've never owned a Krag but I've always loved how smooth those actions work. Looks as though you got a great deal on that one. Seems I'm never in the right place at the right time when stuff like that pops up.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Dang! Congratulations on the find!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About 20 years ago, I found a Un-molested all original Krag Carbine in a local pawn shop for $275. Bought it for Dad and gave it too him for his birthday.
Still wishing I had kept it for my self!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow man great deal on a very cool rifle there!!

Bbear Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You notice that it's been D&T'd for scope mounts. The one I had before had a Lyman All-American and I never really liked the scoped situation.
I wonder if any of the peep sight makers have one that would fit in the rear scope holes?
Time to measure and start asking.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
A great piece of history right there.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
476 members (10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.