Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BigNate Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Anyone use a capstan winch for recovering animals in steep country?

Most of where I hunt is steep, nearly road-less so recovery is usually done in several trips with a strong back.

So here's my dilemma. My boys are all grown up and will likely not be around for elk season this year. I'm pushing 50 and although I'm in decent shape I'm not what I once was. Pops is great to be hunting with still but is not going to be carrying anything.

Have any of you used a capstan winch? How'd it go? What lessons did you learn? How long of a pull have you made?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've watched videos but haven't used one myself. They're neat winches but dang they're expensive. Northern Tool has a 1 ton with a Honda engine for $1500, and that doesn't include rope. A good winch rope isn't cheap, either.

One thing is the weight rating. A winch on a truck is rated for a rolling load up an incline. A 5000 winch will pull a rolling 5000 lb load up something like a 20 degree slope (or maybe is 20%, I'm not sure). It won't deadlift anywhere near 5000 lb.
OTOH, a capstan is rated for exactly what the line pull is. A 2000 lb capstan will deadlift 2000 lb.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tirfor is an option.

Manual. But unlimited like a capstan.

Guess it would matter how far ya gotta go..........and how much time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BN,
We have one.
Small, light and unbelievably easy to use.
We pulled one out last fall in a nasty steep area with old logs, brush and live trees all around.
We have 300' of rope. We just chain it to a tree and fire it up. The gear reduction on the 2 stroke does the rest. One fellow walks along with the animal to "start" it over a log and guide it 'tween trees.
It saves lives........:)

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
WS, Have you ever tried putting the winch by the elk so the winch operator can see the animal? I wondered if it could/would work as a one man show? Where are you at?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No I haven't.
I don't see why you couldn't use a snatch block and go solo if you had to.
I was sure glad we had extra people for last fall to help. It was a very steep slope and plenty of big dead falls to cross.
The stretch in the rope would give a one man show some time to "help" the carcass over the log, but still be by the winch to shut it down if need be. It is not a fast pull, but anyone's standards, but it is a lifesaver.
We are in Clearwater Country.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In rough stuff, you don't want a fast pull or the guy at the elk can't keep up.

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They make a version that can be fitted to a chainsaw body if you look up Simpson Winch on the interweb.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Before buying rope from a winch company, do some searching. You can find it cheaper elsewhere.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
http://capstanropewinch.com/

I use this style and brand for bear extraction in NC. Some of these bears are 600lbs and it works great. We have 600' of synthetic rope that is soft with a little stretch. One person stays with the machine keeping tension on the rope while the other people guide the animal out of the woods. I would say the speed over flat ground is a walking pace. Probably have $1100 in the thing but its worth it pulling large critters long distances from remote areas. A handheld radio also helps coordinate the pulls.

Last edited by JBO69; 07/11/16.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In a one man show ya need double the rope.

Got to be careful but with slack on the rope,walk back paying out the rope.

Pull on the running end puts tension on the capstan. Away you go. Let go and it stops.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Big Nate, considering the cost of the capstan, rope, and work for one man, wouldn't it be cheaper and more convenient for you to find someone up there in your area who would pack your meat out on horses or mules??

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks WS.
JBO- that's the exact one I'm thinking of getting. The chainsaw one weighs more and from what i am hearing the chain drive can get caught up in brush pretty easy, and gets the rope oily. Requires mixed gas.

Leanwolf - I have not found anyone that's able to respond soon enough when it's warm out for us bowhunters. The ones I've talked with usually want to come out a day or two later. Even if they were available right when we called, to trailer stock into where we hunt is close to a two hour drive. Not counting loading, unloading, outfitting the mules, the walk in and out, plus who knows what I'm concerned about spoilage and Grizzlies. I don't know what one would charge, but I'd suspect a couple or three elk and the cost of the equipment would be a wash.? I have not personally had a bear problem but talked to a neighbor who's friend walked in to carry a second load out and found one sitting on it.

We've usually been able to bone and haul one out within a a couple three hours or so. Later in the season when it's cool it wouldn't be an issue.

Samuel Colt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
does mule tape work on the capstan winch?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I'd think mule tape would work well. Cost wise it'd be better, but I don't know how it would be with pulleys for rigging.

1/2" rope

Pull tape

Samuel Colt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can't fit 700 yards of that 1/2" rope in a duffelbag like you can muletape.....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Capstan winches rely on friction between the rope and drum. I've never handled mule tape so I don't know if it would grab or slip. You'd have to try it to see. It would have a lot of advantages if it would work...price, weight, strength, etc.

― George Orwell

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
We use mule tape for pulling deer up steep hills,
but from what I'm told by friends who have both the tape and
a winch, it wont work with the winch because of slippage.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder if it would work on a regular winch. Since it's so thin, you might be able to get a lot more on the winch than you can rope or cable.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigNate
" ... Leanwolf - I have not found anyone that's able to respond soon enough when it's warm out for us bowhunters. The ones I've talked with usually want to come out a day or two later. Even if they were available right when we called, to trailer stock into where we hunt is close to a two hour drive. Not counting loading, unloading, outfitting the mules, the walk in and out, plus who knows what I'm concerned about spoilage and Grizzlies. I don't know what one would charge, but I'd suspect a couple or three elk and the cost of the equipment would be a wash.? I have not personally had a bear problem but talked to a neighbor who's friend walked in to carry a second load out and found one sitting on it. ... "

Big Nate, I didn't know you were hunting early stick-'n-string season. I know that the heat can be much higher early on so understand about it taking too long for a packer to get in and bring out your elk meat before it soured.

I thought perhaps you might know a packer nearby your hunting area who could reach your kill on short notice.

I know what you mean about Grizzly bears. I've hunted in Idaho twice in Griz areas and once in Wyoming in a Griz area. I highly respect them. wink

Good luck on your hunt.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
384 members (204guy, 280shooter, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 47 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,595
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.