Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I get great accuracy and 3230 fps mv with the 50 grain TTSX. I recently bought a bunch of 60 grain Partition blems to try.

If the Partitions shoot as well and I get around 3200, which bullet is better for medium-sized mulies out to 250 yards?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Neither.

Keep your shots a little closer and it won't matter what you choose. IMHO When you get that far out the velocity has dropped too much to get the damage that makes it work so well up close. I like 150 yds. or less, but my vast quantity of knowledge is based on only a few deer with 60gr NPT, and Win 64gr PP. I bought some 64gr Nosler Bonded core also.

I try to keep my .257R 250 yards or less.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I did a 2 year study in Nunavut using the 223 and 22-250AI fast Twist to test out 22 projectiles on the mule deer sized Barren Ground caribou of the area. The X bullets penetrate very well but the wound channel gets a bit low. I liked the 60 Nosler Partition a bit better it had 20 to 30% less penetration but better wound channels.

Both bullets have a poor B.C. and at the velocities you mention run out of 1000 foot pounds at just past 100 yards. At this point penetration goes up but wound channels get less impressive and killing action goes down as well. With a 223 I learned to keep shots under 125 yards and the AI a 220 Swift Equivalent only got a good deal better when using heavy weight bullets with a good B.C. I used an 80 grain Spitzer partition made by a company called Alred Bullets that made 250 yard shots ethical.

[Linked Image]

The right most bullet is a 53 grain X. The petals will fly off leaving a very small stump that generates extremely poor 2nd half wound channels after an extreme initial energy dump at a 2-5" or so. The two bullets on the left where 74RWS bullets that would core separate at over 3300 fps but hold together well slower than that. After that is a bonded Alred design followed by a 55 grain Trophy Bonded.

Last edited by North61; 07/10/16.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
This next study was on wet newsprint and compared two bullets in a 223 with a number of bullets out of a bolt action 30-30. This test actually cured me of using the 223 on big game as at all ranges in almost all ways it was inferior to the 30-30, except trajectory.

Unfortunatly the trajectory of the 22's outstrip the range they kill well at. Wound channels and penetration in the 223 was not as well balanced as in the 30-30. The Partition penetrates as well as a 30-30 bullet but does not create the tissue damage past the very short energy dump stage, the power-point creates the tissue damage but not the penetration depth. The two bullets in the center are from a 223. The 60 partition is the smaller diameter one. You can see it maintains a better diameter that the X bullet above but not by much. The bigger bullet in the center is the 64 Win Power-point which I came to like a lot though it did core separate at 50 yards or less at times.

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
One last from me. After two years of testing bullet on wet newsprint and hunting caribou with the 22's I found that heavy weight custom bullets in the 22-250 AI fast twist worked about as well as a 243. It finally dawned on me that I might as well save bullet money and use a 243. Lot's more great bullets designed for big game. Lighter bullets in the 22's just ran out of gas too quickly. The amazing hydroststic shock postulated by PO Ackley just can't be relied on.

Here is the 250 yard exit hole of an 80 grain Alred partition from the AI that penetrated well and could be counted on. Never did capture one of them as they generally penetrated clean through.

[Linked Image]

After a few years with the 6mm Rem I moved up again to the 6.5 Rem Mag and haven't looked back as I continue to climb the caliber tree. I am not quite an Elmer Keith but these small bores allow hits past the sure killing range and starting at about 6.5 you run into better balance. Good luck.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Having taken whitetails, out past 550 yards a bit, with 223 its no different than anything else.

Good bullet. Good shot placement. They'll be as dead as with any other round....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good luck getting those 60's to shoot!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the 60 grain Partition and the 64 grain PP, but the 60 grain Partition was a challenge to a load that would shoot MOA or better. I'm a Partition fan, but have found two Partitions, the 60 grain .224" and 125 grain .264", challenging to find the best combination of components.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
What about that special big game 64 grain bullet from Nosler.
I'm asking because I have some and would love to see if anyone used then and compared results with the bullets in question.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Louis...I tried them...and tried them...in a variety of cf .22s with the following twists 8,9,10,12,14 from .222s to .22-250s and I just plain couldn't get them to shoot to any degree of satisfaction.

Im a HUGE TTSX fan 50 or 55 grainers though Im sure 62s would work too....Also have had good results with 55 and 60 gr. Hornadys, the 63 gr. Sierra SMP....the 60 Nosler Partition wouldn't shoot quite as well as Id like, though it will shoot an inch, which realistically is better than you need. It performs well when it lands on something.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Louis...I tried them...and tried them...in a variety of cf .22s with the following twists 8,9,10,12,14 from .222s to .22-250s and I just plain couldn't get them to shoot to any degree of satisfaction.

Im a HUGE TTSX fan 50 or 55 grainers though Im sure 62s would work too....Also have had good results with 55 and 60 gr. Hornadys, the 63 gr. Sierra SMP....the 60 Nosler Partition wouldn't shoot quite as well as Id like, though it will shoot an inch, which realistically is better than you need. It performs well when it lands on something.

What twist have you found you need to stabilize the 55 TTSX bullets?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I get great accuracy and 3230 fps mv with the 50 grain TTSX. I recently bought a bunch of 60 grain Partition blems to try.

If the Partitions shoot as well and I get around 3200, which bullet is better for medium-sized mulies out to 250 yards?

P
While I am a fan of Noslers in general. The 60gr .22 is not one. Probably be a fine Hog bullet, but on deer my experience was they blow up the front section to fast then pencil through. Make the same shot placement with the 64gr win pp and the bullet performs as expected. I have retrieved several from game over the last 2 decades. Most open up to around .40 and retain around 60% of their weight. All shot from my 22-250 with impacts under 200 yards.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

What twist have you found you need to stabilize the 55 TTSX bullets?

Sorry for the late response Paul...the 55 TTSX will stabilize in a 1 in 8 twist at ALL altitudes. Ive used them at Sea Level on Florida pigs and they shot great.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

If the Partitions shoot as well and I get around 3200, which bullet is better for medium-sized mulies out to 250 yards?P

Do you want to use this rifle? Do you have a larger caliber rifle? Remember that aa an ethical hunter, you have an obligation to assure a quick kill.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
65 grain SGK works for me out to 300 yards Couldn't get 60 grain NP to shoot. Some time back on a similar thread here the consensus was that the tip geometry of the NP didn't fit most seating die punches.

Mathew 22: 37-39

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Here in SC in a 12 twist 22/250, the 60g nosler partition willmake a mess out of the white tails. 1" groups are all you need and this is easily done....ImR or H4350, win primer.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SakoAV

If the Partitions shoot as well and I get around 3200, which bullet is better for medium-sized mulies out to 250 yards?P

Do you want to use this rifle? Do you have a larger caliber rifle? Remember that aa an ethical hunter, you have an obligation to assure a quick kill.

I'm lovin' this.......

Let me take a wild guess how many deer SakoAV has killed with a centerfire .22...... whistle

Last edited by ingwe; 07/21/16.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm lovin' this.......

Let me take a wild guess how many deer SakoAV has killed...... whistle

Fixt it...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
touche'

grin

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd hunt deer in all 57 states with a 223. I'd even put it in a long action to appease that group.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Somebody is channeling Don.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I'm lovin' this.......

Let me take a wild guess how many deer SakoAV has killed with a centerfire .22...... whistle

Zip, zero, zilch. Nada. Goose eggs.

I would never attempt to kill any big game animal with any .22 center fire just because it can be done. Ya see, I am an ethical hunter. My concern is for a quick, humane kill. It's kinda like game snipers who shoot at big game 1000 yards distant or more because they think they can. How many head of big game do they cripple before the actually recover one?

Ethical hunters know what can be done and what should be done.

Where do you fit in?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I would never attempt to kill any big game animal with any .22 center fire just because it can be done. Ya see, I am an ethical hunter. My concern is for a quick, humane kill. It's kinda like game snipers who shoot at big game 1000 yards distant or more because they think they can. How many head of big game do they cripple before the actually recover one?

Where do you fit in?

I don't accept your premise. You may be ethical, but that doesn't mean you're informed.

Let's not even go as small as a 223. Since you said any 22 center fire let us consider a fast twist 22-250 shooting a 62 grain Barnes TTSX. Do you really believe that's not enough to "ethically" dispatch deer?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mathman

Where do you fit in?

I don't accept your premise. You may be ethical, but that doesn't mean you're informed.

Let's not even go as small as a 223. Since you said any 22 center fire let us consider a fast twist 22-250 shooting a 62 grain Barnes TTSX. Do you really believe that's not enough to "ethically" dispatch deer?

You don't have to accept anything. If fact, you must not accept anything in order to justify hunting big game with a .22 center fire.

Do you no believe that a .22LR will ethically dispatch deer? Lots of poachers use .22LR to heads of deer. Silent and, with precise shots, very deadly.

Just because it can be done does not mean it should be done.

I have no clue of where you hunt. I'm guessing where deer are small, killed at close distance, and at low altitude. I hunt the Rockies exclusively. Nothing is ever ideal when elevation is above 7000' and all you can see are towering peaks. Wind gusts, sage brush, off-the-charts blood pressure, sucking air for oxygen, and you think you're going to make a very marginal cartridge work? I have never, ever, ever and never seen any hunter hunting any big game in the Rockies with a .22 center fire. In fact, I'd go with every Rocky Mountain state having laws proscribing use of .22 center fire cartridges for big game hunting.

You do what's right for you. But expect fish and game laws to target hunters like you, for wounded big game that dies days later will destroy our sport. I also expect to see laws proscribing big game sniping.

Last edited by SakoAV; 07/24/16.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Big game cartridges are immaterial. What bullets fired from them destroy is. Nothing living remains in that condition without topside blood flow. Destroy blood pumping and/or blood oxygenating equipment of any big game animal, and it will die. Biology, not cartridges, is controlling.

The new world record Yukon moose, the largest deer species in North America, was killed a couple years ago with a .303 British.

Last edited by battue; 07/24/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
WTH does a 22LR have to do with what I asked? In fact, what does all the other blather have to do with it?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
battue,

Yep, and my implication was suitable big game cartridges as any ethical hunter would have recognized.

Would the fact that a .22 center fire cartridge can kill deer counterbalance the likelihood of a .22 center fire wounding deer?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You don't have to accept anything. If fact, you must not accept anything in order to justify hunting big game with a .22 center fire.

Do you no believe that a .22LR will ethically dispatch deer? Lots of poachers use .22LR to heads of deer. Silent and, with precise shots, very deadly.

Just because it can be done does not mean it should be done.

I have no clue of where you hunt. I'm guessing where deer are small, killed at close distance, and at low altitude. I hunt the Rockies exclusively. Nothing is ever ideal when elevation is above 70000' and all you can see are towering peaks. Wind gusts, sage brush, off-the-charts blood pressure, sucking air for oxygen, and you think you're going to make a very marginal cartridge work? I have never, ever, ever and never seen any hunter hunting any big game in the Rockies with a .22 center fire. In fact, I'd go with every Rocky Mountain state having laws proscribing use of .22 center fire cartridges for big game hunting.

You do what's right for you. But expect fish and game laws to target hunters like you, for wounded big game that dies days later will destroy our sport. I also expect to see laws proscribing big game sniping.

Do you wave at the SR-71 passers by?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
mathman,

You do what's right for you.

Best of luck.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
battue,

Yep, and my implication was suitable big game cartridges as any ethical hunter would have recognized.

Would the fact that a .22 center fire cartridge can kill deer counterbalance the likelihood of a .22 center fire wounding deer?

Send member scenarshooter a question. If he's not busy loading and shooting, which he does exceedingly well, maybe he'll take a minute to educate you about 22 centerfires.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
mathman,

You do what's right for you.

Best of luck.

I never once mentioned what I do or don't do.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
battue,

There is no counterbalance when used within their limits. Does a .30-06 stretch the limits? Of course. Soooo, there will be no increase in wounding if the .22CF's are used within their limits. Which is pretty much approximately 300 yards. Thousands of Deer cleanly taken with them by members here alone are more than adequate to prove same.

Your "ethics" are trumped by the experience of those who are not guessing

Last edited by battue; 07/24/16.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd hunt deer in all 57 states with a 223. I'd even put it in a long action to appease that group.

laugh

I laughed out loud, reading that one...

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BigNate
Neither.

Keep your shots a little closer and it won't matter what you choose. IMHO When you get that far out the velocity has dropped too much to get the damage that makes it work so well up close. I like 150 yds. or less, but my vast quantity of knowledge is based on only a few deer with 60gr NPT, and Win 64gr PP. I bought some 64gr Nosler Bonded core also.

I try to keep my .257R 250 yards or less.

To me, the 60 NPT groups better than the Nosler 64 gr. Bonded Solid Base (BSB). The BSB reportedly has great terminal performance, but I like bullets that group AND perform well on critters. I guess if you're not shooting them that far, the BSB should work OK.

My 8 twist .22-250 really likes 80 gr. VLD's and that's what I'm feeding it, getting around 3K fps. No critter report yet, it's a recent build.

I'm going to try Poobah's 55 gr. TTSX. Stunt shooters can't always be wrong... shocked

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/24/16.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by battue
battue,

Your "ethics" are trumped by the experience of those who are not guessing

Well put.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a skeptic about the .223 was well.

[Linked Image]

He went 30 yards. I've seen deer well hit by .30-06's go farther.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I was a skeptic about the .223 was well.

[Linked Image]

He went 30 yards. I've seen deer well hit by .30-06's go farther.

With BLUE TAPE!!! You are a stunt hooter extraordinaire!!!

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If you can put 'em where they need to go, 62X's flatten cloven-hoofed critters....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I will admit when I'm wrong. I was going on the assumption the .224 caliber were still designed for small game. It looks as though Nosler has designed Partitions for larger game.

With heart shots, they ougha work. I'm still concerned, though, about a .224 bullet penetrating after hitting a rib or breast plate.

And I'm still of the opinion that .243 Win & up are best for mule deer, especially where rages extend beyond 200 yards.

My opinion is the .270 Win is the best mule deer rifle going.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I will admit when I'm wrong. I was going on the assumption the .224 caliber were still designed for small game. It looks as though Nosler has designed Partitions for larger game.

With heart shots, they ougha work. I'm still concerned, though, about a .224 bullet penetrating after hitting a rib or breast plate.

And I'm still of the opinion that .243 Win & up are best for mule deer, especially where rages extend beyond 200 yards.

Ribs? A load with Barnes will bust shoulders. Plenty of pics showing complete penetration have been posted on this site by guys using 223, 223AI, and 22-250 with Barnes bullets.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That is some kinda funny.

62X's will take ribs, shoulders and everything betwixt same and keep right on-a-goin'. Seen it. Know of a notable MT guide that posted pixels of a bodacious bull. Shooter used a 22-250AI pushing 62X's to punch both shoulders at 450 paces and some change. One poke and that bull looked pretty dead.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Ribs? A load with Barnes will bust shoulders. Plenty of pics showing complete penetration have been posted on this site by guys using 223, 223AI, and 22-250 with Barnes bullets. [/quote]

And oh look! Heres one now!

.22-250 Barnes 53 gr. TSX, broke both shoulders...

And look! Its a mule deer! laugh

[Linked Image]

Oops! heres another mule deer....22-250/53 gr. TSX combo....

[Linked Image]

And heres a scimitar horned oryx...223AI 55 gr Barnes TTSX through and through the spinal column...no tracking here! grin

[Linked Image]

Theres plenty more where they came from...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Variety is the spice of life, sooooo....

We have antelope...plain vanilla .223 53 TSX

[Linked Image]

We have whitetails-o-plenty...22-250 55 grain Trophy Bonded

[Linked Image]

.222 45 grain Barnes TSX 247 yards...

[Linked Image]

And feral hogs-o-plenty...

175 pound boar....2233AI 60 grain NBT

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You messed up the quote arrangement.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was going on the assumption the .224 caliber were still designed for small game.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You messed up the quote arrangement.

Yeah..I know...hungover from too much ice in the whiskey last night...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've warned you about solid phase Dihydrogen Monoxide.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I know...but the flesh is weak....

I saw on another thread however, that we agree on steaks...... grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Lots of guys on here have shot more, and bigger animals than I with .22 centerfires. But here is why I believe in them.

22-250, 62 ttsx @ 300, through lungs and then straight on through the neck into the guts, stopped somewhere after busting pelvis.

[Linked Image]

22-250ai, 62 ttsx @ 125, diagonally through from short ribs and busted offside shoulder. Big body.

[Linked Image]

22-250 ai, 62 ttsx, 340, in from the front through the heart, busted ribs on the way out.

[Linked Image]

22-250, 62 ttsx, 426. Exited after broadside shot through vitals.

[Linked Image]

22-250ai, 53 tsx, just under 200. Exit after punching vitals.

[Linked Image]

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

.222 45 grain Barnes TSX 247 yards...

[Linked Image]

I don't remember seeing this pic before. That's a friggin toad! I have an uber load with the 45 tsx for my deuce, but haven't killed anything with it yet.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I put a plain vanilla 55 grain Hornady sp through both shoulders of a huge old doe a few years ago. Found a perfectly mushroomed bullet just usder the hide on the off side shoulder. Put a 38 grain power lokt hp from a 5mm Remington rimfire magnum through the shoulder of a forkhorn buck back in the 70's and never got to see what it looked like because it EXITED behind the shoulder on the off side. Don't know how many here might remember the old Nosler solid base "expander" varmint bullets but I used the 50 gr. version back in the 80's out of my old Remington 788 .222 to kill a bunch of deer and it really churned the shyt out of their innards. Still have the rack from a 172 lb {dressed} 8 point hanging on the wall that dropped instantly from a lung shot with that bullet.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
.460 Wby using a 500 gr Hornady soft point.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
SakoAV,

Nosler and Barnes are far from the only companies making .224 bullets specifically for use on big game, and it's been that way for quite a while.

But even before then some .224 bullets did fine. The 60-grain Nosler Solid Base worked very much like the 60-grain Partition. I know this because that's what I loaded in the .220 Swift in the 1980's for use on deer and and antelope here in Montana.

I'm quite familiar with how the .243 works on those animals, and as far as I could tell the 60 Solid Base from the .220 Swift worked very similarly to 100-grain bullets from the .243.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sako AV: All the bullets mentioned by these guys have been proven performers. The Barnes 62 gr. TSX that BGG likes is deadly...Blackheart mentioned the regular 55 grain Hornady, which I have had similar results with, and Scenarshooter here has killed more deer than CWD with that bullet. The Nosler Solid base bullets, 50 and 60 grains were great ( wish they still made them...) Like JB I used a lot of the Nosler 60 gr Solid base.....
Plus there are others on the market designed specifically for use on big game in a .22 centerfire, and like JB says, I can't tell the difference between them and anything in a .243

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I wonder how well a handful of Hornady 55 SPs stacked in a 12 gauge shot cup would work...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

You weren't WRONG, you were talking out of your ass. There's a difference.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Lots of folks have some odd fear about hitting bone with a 22 caliber bullet, why I have NO idea.

I always aim for bone and to date have only caught one 22 caliber bullet.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not one, but two threads on the same forum about .22 centerfires for deer.

Oh, happy day! laugh

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Did catch one .224 bullet in a pronghorn a couple years ago. My wife was hunting with a .22-250 using the 40-grain Cutting Edge Raptor handloaded to a little over 4300 fps, which some might consider a little extreme.

The Raptor's a monolithic designed to lose it's petals, which in theory increases tissue destruction. We'd shot some into larger varmints--jackrabbits and one coyote--and never recovered one, so suspected it would do on a pronghorn.

It did. The shot came about 150 yards, with a big doe standing quartering to Eileen, who held for the center of the chest, which put the bullet between the shoulder and sternum. The doe dropped at the shot and never moved.

The bullet had gone through both lungs, ticking the bottom of the spine, then broke the far shoulder blade before the rear 2/3 ended up under the hide on the far side, toward the rear of the ribcage.

We weighed the field-dressed doe on the freight scale in our garage, and she probably went a little over 100 pounds on the hoof--not a huge animal but big for a pronghorn doe. Eileen used her .257 Roberts with a 100 TTSX at 3150 on another doe about the same size the next year, at a similar range and angle, and we recovered that bullet too, though a little further back, probably because it skidded along under the hide for a while.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, speaking of catching .22 slugs

[Linked Image]

That's the Sierra 65gr boattail that killed the spike buck I previously pictured. It was launched out of the DD rifle shown with a 1 in 7" twist, which probably helped expansion.

The buck was broadside, and the bullet broke the onside humerus, went through the vitals, and stopped in the offside hide, the core & jacket separated but together. IIRC it weighed about 50% of its original weight. My hunch is it would bust a shoulder & still kill - at least on small whitetails. Probably use something a little tougher in the future. So far it has shot the best in that Daniel Mk12.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 07/26/16. Reason: add info

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948

With BLUE TAPE!!! You are a stunt hooter extraordinaire!!!

Wait until I do it with blue tape on a mini-14; that will really spin up everybody

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The 60 partition works great on deer if you can actually hit something with it.

On a side note, I am constantly amazed how I killed so many mule deer and antelope with my ol .22-250 and wally world bullets back before I reloaded...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The old Mini 14 actually doesn't shoot too badly. Guess I'll need to find a good load for its 1 in 10" barrel. And do a bit more tuning. smile

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I haven't been able to figure out an accurate load for the 62gr TSX in my 16" 1:8 AR. Can't get anywhere close to the lands - 223 Wylde chamber and seating to mag length (2.260"). Best groups are 1.5-2 moa; good enough to kill deer but not enough to make me proud of it. Is that poor accuracy to be expected in a setup like this, or is it worth more development?

Will probably try the 55gr TTSX next, maybe it'll shoot better. The 65gr SGK is working great for now, very accurate and cheap enough to shoot a lot of them.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/01/16.
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Yondering,

The tsx and ttsx are somewhat different from regular cup and core or bonded bullets in that they sometimes shoot better further from the lands. I would try R15 with the 62gr bullet, but would stay with ttsx of whatever weight as I have seen some of the tsx not open on deer.

Good luck,
David

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CasualShooter
Yondering,

The tsx and ttsx are somewhat different from regular cup and core or bonded bullets in that they sometimes shoot better further from the lands. I would try R15 with the 62gr bullet, but would stay with ttsx of whatever weight as I have seen some of the tsx not open on deer.

Good luck,
David

Yep, those Barnes do like to jump.

If they're not shooting, increase the jump.

Sometimes optimal jump is more than you would have thought.

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Yondering,

Good luck,
David

DF

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All true.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of course this topic begs the question, "Is the .223 AI enough gun?"

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bugger
Of course this topic begs the question, "Is the .223 AI enough gun?"

Maybe we should start a thread.... whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
I haven't been able to figure out an accurate load for the 62gr TSX in my 16" 1:8 AR. Can't get anywhere close to the lands - 223 Wylde chamber and seating to mag length (2.260"). Best groups are 1.5-2 moa; good enough to kill deer but not enough to make me proud of it. Is that poor accuracy to be expected in a setup like this, or is it worth more development?

Will probably try the 55gr TTSX next, maybe it'll shoot better. The 65gr SGK is working great for now, very accurate and cheap enough to shoot a lot of them.

ASC sells mags that allow a bit longer OAL - up to ~2.31"

Some folks also take a Magpul and cut out the front of the mag to allow a longer OAL - I haven't tried it but I have heard you may be able to go up to ~2.35"

Of course, you could go this route:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who has used the 62gr Swift Scirocco on deer?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Patrick I asked that a couple months ago, and got no takers. Im anxious to hear the results too....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, gonna order a box, then. If the 60 & 64gr Noslers have issues, maybe the 62 Swuft will work. The #1 shoots well with the 77gr Bergers, and the Swufts are shorter, so it should work in that rifle. Maybe even in the old 1 in 10" Mini-14 smirk

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Don't quick substitute loads with the Swift, they have "sticky" jackets.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Yondering,

Good luck,
David

DF

I can try more jump, but it's already about 0.140" IIRC. Seems like at that point, more jump may not matter much, but I could be wrong.

I have considered the ASC mags (have some for 6.8 wildcats) and cut-out P-mags, but would prefer to find a Barnes load to fit my ordinary P-mags same as the rest of my ammo.

I do have a #1 already, I got it dialed in for tiny bughole groups and now it just sits in the safe; isn't that how this loonyness works?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Loonyness is having a single shot rifle in an AK-47 caliber smirk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't quick substitute loads with the Swift, they have "sticky" jackets.

Hodgdon has data for both the 62gr TTSX and 62gr Swuft. Yeah it looks like they show a grain or so higher max loads with the TTSX.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have a very nice load developed for Wifeys AR-15 for around the house with the 64 gr Nosler bonded and CFE-223 Tex, it's a blunt shaped little bastid that I bet would impart a lot of pain. smile

I can fire it into 1.5"/2" at 100 yards with an EoTech 556 with no wind.

Trump Won!
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got 2 6x47L's in the build right now. Sure would like to use one on an upcoming AZ whitetail hunt in Oct. But, I doubt it will happen.

I was speaking with Ben (mudhen) and he spoke highly of a 60grn NP in a .22 centerfire.

I have a RAR .223 that I won in a raffle. I'm seriously thinking of working up a 60gr NP for this rifle and the upcoming hunt. Or even just using Fed Prem's.

As for TTSX, I think that personally I would go a bit heavier.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
When my boy was young he killed quite a few deer with a 220 Swift using 55 grain Bear Claws. It would break both shoulders easy. I still have a couple hundred of them. The FBI used them. They were the only bullet that would kill perps behind auto glass.

Last edited by hanco; 08/02/16.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I love stunt shooting.

Excellent information in this thread!

Something clever here.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
I have a very nice load developed for Wifeys AR-15 for around the house with the 64 gr Nosler bonded and CFE-223 Tex, it's a blunt shaped little bastid that I bet would impart a lot of pain. smile

I lied, went back and looked at the targets early this morning while the coffee pot was working her morning majic, groups are averaging about 2.5"s at 100, but, still plenty good enough for yard/house work. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I lied, went back and looked at the targets early this morning while the coffee pot was working her morning majic, groups are averaging about 2.5"s at 100, but, still plenty good enough for yard/house work. wink

Should be able to hit a man sized target in the same room! grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, unlike shooting at a 12" gong at 200 yards in a Texas crosswind with a barrel sighted Sharps rifle.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
That looks almost exactly like the Sierra 65 grain I shot a buck with last fall. He ran about 50 yards, but he was at a full trot and I got him just a little farther back than I intended. Stupid antler restrictions in southeast Texas. I had to make snap judgement on his spread.

Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
well, speaking of catching .22 slugs

[Linked Image]

That's the Sierra 65gr boattail that killed the spike buck I previously pictured. It was launched out of the DD rifle shown with a 1 in 7" twist, which probably helped expansion.

The buck was broadside, and the bullet broke the onside humerus, went through the vitals, and stopped in the offside hide, the core & jacket separated but together. IIRC it weighed about 50% of its original weight. My hunch is it would bust a shoulder & still kill - at least on small whitetails. Probably use something a little tougher in the future. So far it has shot the best in that Daniel Mk12.

Last edited by doover72; 08/03/16.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hell, I'm thinking about selling my Winchester 70 308. I've come to the realization that I'll probably never hunt anything other than deer and hogs, and my 223's and 44 mag will be more than enough to take care of that.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by doover72
Hell, I'm thinking about selling my Winchester 70 308. I've come to the realization that I'll probably never hunt anything other than deer and hogs, and my 223's and 44 mag will be more than enough to take care of that.

Put an 8 twist Bartlein 243 barrel on that 308 and have it throated for a long skinny 243 bullet with a set of spinning turrets. grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by doover72

Put an 8 twist Bartlein 243 barrel on that 308 and have it throated for a long skinny 243 bullet with a set of spinning turrets. grin

Hmmmm

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Any advantage to 55gr. TSX's over 50's in the deer woods? I'm inclined to go with the 50's as they are turning out to be the t*ts in my AR. (Thanks, Ingwe.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No...not really. Ive shot a literal ton of game with the 50s and have yet to recover one. Same with the55s...everything died the same...so rock on!

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'm gonna have to try those. Are they good to go for punching through shoulder bones, if a guy wanted to do that? Sounds like it from your description, just confirming whether they shear all the petals off on bone contact or keep a good wound channel all the way through.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm gonna have to try those. Are they good to go for punching through shoulder bones, if a guy wanted to do that? Sounds like it from your description, just confirming whether they shear all the petals off on bone contact or keep a good wound channel all the way through.

Should go through both shoulders easily. My largest bodied buck, 250# or so on hoof took a single 60 grain partition through the blades of both shoulders.

As far as I know that bullet is still traveling.

Fired from my 22-250 at about 20 yards.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Thanks. I was asking about the 50 & 55gr TSX ingwe was referring to, but that's good feedback on the 60gr Partition anyway.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/05/16.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

The only one I ever recovered was a 53 gr TSX that went through both shoulders of this big dude...

No petals sheared off...

[Linked Image]

Not saying the TTSXs wouldn't shear a petal..Im sure they will under some circumstances...but Ive never recovered a TTSX ( In 23 kills IIRC...) and Ive never found a petal when cutting the meat up....

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Nice, thanks. I was using the 62gr version with the assumption that a little more weight would be needed, but with the accuracy issues I'm having with it, I'll try the 50 or 55 next, looks like they get the job done just fine.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They do.....

even the 45 grainer works....

.222 at 247 Lazered yards. Re-post grin

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 08/05/16.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Wait a minute, I heard .222 doesn't have enough power to kill deer. Must be a photoshop. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
.223AI 55gr on a Buck at around 150. Entered the neck and traveled down the spine a bit. Petals still intact.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wait a minute, I heard .222 doesn't have enough power to kill deer. Must be a photoshop. grin

It is...

We photoshopped the deer to make it look bigger, and the cartridge to make it loo smaller. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks. I was asking about the 50 & 55gr TSX ingwe was referring to, but that's good feedback on the 60gr Partition anyway.

I know, just relaying the Partition experience because if the Nosler will do it then the Barnes will do the same plus some.

Wouldn't mind try either the 45 TSX or 50 TTSX in my 22-250. Either one at 3800+ should be like lightening on whitetails.

Just hard to get away from the .224 Partitions with which I have had excellent luck on about 15 deer. Deadly little bastid.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Where talking Blacktails here, most being antelope sized, but even a big one of over 200 lbs, the advice given by Ingwe is about all ya need to know. I'd like to add my personal favorite which Tom left out, and that is the good old Speer 70 grain SMP.

Its more than happy with a one in 12 Twist. NO need to reinvent the wheel here. As said, proper shot placement and you've got venison on the table.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shot the 62 Sciroccos in both a #1 .223 and a Noveske barreled AR today. Meh, 1.25" to 1.5" groups. They were seated about .010 to .015" off the lands in the Ruger

The #1 put 5 Berger 77gr into 7/16", so I know it's got a good barrel. I may try seating the Sciroccos to kiss the lands and see if they do better.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Keep me posted Patrick!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One could argue I should just shoot these, and not worry any more... smile

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
That your thinking of anything besides a 7_08 is somewhat mind boggling! Glad you didn't bring that crap here from the fish group!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
no need for any cannon like the 7/08 when the 223 and great bullets will kill any deer that walks.

Though I can honestly say I've not shot a deer with the 223 past 600 yards as of today.... but out to that I've not lost a single one....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Heym06
That your thinking of anything besides a 7_08 is somewhat mind boggling! Glad you didn't bring that crap here from the fish group!

I love this stuff!

The grammatical and typos errors go good with this thought process. grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Heym06

Ha!

Where do you think I caught the 7mm-08 bug?

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I have no clue of where you hunt. I'm guessing where deer are small, killed at close distance, and at low altitude. I hunt the Rockies exclusively. Nothing is ever ideal when elevation is above 7000' and all you can see are towering peaks. Wind gusts, sage brush, off-the-charts blood pressure, sucking air for oxygen, and you think you're going to make a very marginal cartridge work? I have never, ever, ever and never seen any hunter hunting any big game in the Rockies with a .22 center fire. In fact, I'd go with every Rocky Mountain state having laws proscribing use of .22 center fire cartridges for big game hunting.

LMAO.

Internet GOLD.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I didn't see that..Ive got him on ignore...but you are right..its GOLD! laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have killed several deer using my .223AI 8" twist with the 53grTSX, 62grTTSX and my daughter used the 64gr BSB on a big doe. The shot was around 120yds and she busted both shoulders, the exit was the size of a quarter. The doe made about a 60yd death sprint before giving up the ghost.

All three bullets performed similar with a complete pass through, some have dropped on the spot and others have made a short death sprint...all died within sight. She now says the .223AI is her rifle. Lol

I may need a .22-250AI with a 8" twist to go with the .223AI.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Isn't a .22-250 AI overkill? wink

Did you have any trouble getting the 64 BSB to shoot?

Last edited by ingwe; 08/08/16.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IIRC without looking at my notes I was getting 3/4" groups @ just over 3,200ft/s. The 53gr TSX and 62gr TTSX were more accurate but to be fair I have not really played with the BSB.

I found a decent load using H335 and loaded them up for her to use. I had a 150yd limit on the distance I would let her shoot since this was her first deer hunt.

In fact I decided to get a box of the BSB after you made a post about them expanding so much. I wanted something that would dig deep and expand in case my daughter's shot was less than perfect.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They do indeed 'perform' above and beyond what you expect, but I just plain couldn't get them to shoot well in anything. Closest I came was 1 inch groups in my 1 in 12 .223AI...and they were only an inch when the stars lined up...

Too bad too, cause the bullet is a sure killer...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think I have a box of 64 BSB's...might have to try crowding the lands of the #1 and see if they'll shoot better that way.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Alright Poobs and Tex, what's the BSB abbreviation?

Brigade Support Battalion?grin......................I'm thinking 64 gr Noslers?

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bonded Solid Base....

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good job getting that young lady out and getting it done Coach. smile

Fine job buddy, oh BTW, can't tell that that little Fishman in your avatar is one of your pups either. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Bonded Solid Base....

Thanks for the clarification Oh Scholar of all things linguistic. cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good job getting that young lady out and getting it done Coach. smile

Fine job buddy, oh BTW, can't tell that that little Fishman in your avatar is one of your pups either. grin

Thanks gunner. Yeah my boy is screwed! Lol I hope he grows out of it and starts looking more like his mother, he skipped the .223AI with the 64gr BSB and jumped on a 6.5 Creed and 140gr A-Max.

[Linked Image]

She likes to fish more than hunt. Here she is this past spring with a couple of slabs.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by TN deer hunter; 08/09/16.

- Michael Friedman

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, That's what I'm talking about Buddy, kids having fun and learning the real life lessons outdoors, and getting top shelf nutrition to boot, it don't get no better.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
LOL, That's what I'm talking about Buddy, kids having fun and learning the real life lessons outdoors, and getting top shelf nutrition to boot, it don't get no better.

I've been silently following this thread, except when I PM'd Poob's for some advice(I know I know grin) on which bullet to load in the short RAR with the 18" barrel.

I expect him to ventilate one shortly into the WI deer season this fall.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
SWEET, oh, and he doesn't snore at camp either. smile

Pinocchio

Trump Won!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well...not yet.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
SWEET, oh, and he doesn't snore at camp either. smile

Pinocchio

Are you intimating that someone DOES snore at camp?

I thought you slept in the barcolounger in the main room cause you liked it.... whistle

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LMAO T and 'Gwe grin

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 219DW, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 47 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,184
Posts18,465,685
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.