Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rooster that's interesting...which Loomis have you fished with that compares to a Scheel?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Not sure. It belonged to an old friend of mine. He fished with my Guide Series and I tried his Loomis out. He was impressed with the Scheels rod as well.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
OK thanks!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Guys, I go by goodshot here on the fire. Certainly love the crowd here and am a certified rifle looney for sure. For my daytime job I am vp of engineering for fishing co. In the pnw. I was formally product mgr at St Croix and have been in the fishing industry for 30 plus years. I am a certified fly casting instructer and multi species angler and former tournement angler. Certainly happy to answer any questions you guys ever have regarding fishing of any type. Now, on the the USA made rod questions .
St. Croix makes rods in two spots , Park Falls WI and a Mexican location. They tried Asia for a short period of time by left for many reasons such as lead times, consistent QC , and many others.
G Loomis is 100% USA made
Lamiglas makes some rods in the USA and imports rods from various Asian sources.
Falcon is 100% USA made
Edge rods is 100 % USA made
Kistler rods some USA some Asian
Sage fly rods 100 % USA made
Winston, Scott, T&T 100 % USA made
There are lots of companies that buy blanks and components from all over the world and assemble here. But really very few that make there own blanks.
So does import compare to USA made.....yes and no. True composite engineers rarely choose the fishing industry for there career path, most work for defense , aero space where the pay will be a bunch more. The Asian engineers are ok, but don't anyways understand what the end goal is i.e. Not much fly fishing in China. To create a great rod takes two key elements there is the engineering side, and then the real magic is you need what we call a wiggle guy. A wiggle guy can pick up a blank and feel the action, power etc and know what to change etc. this is a very rare talent to say the least. I frankly have not met anyone from Asia that compares to our best. I travel in Asia all the time and qualify vendors etc., and with training you can get good products. We all have products we use and like that are from China, but it is American workers that make the difference. There re cultural things etc can effect quality. Annually many Asian factories turn over 25% of thee labor force which causes huge quality issues. We dont see that with USA labor. So better work force, engineering and wiggle guys means better rods. Hope this helps...goodshot

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
good write up. thanks

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You are most welcome, and to all pm with any questions you might have. Goodshot

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I thought I would come back and check this topic out again. Lot's of additional helpful info.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most of the serious musky guys I know - all run St. Croix.

I have a St. Croix myself for all species fishing and I'll never not have one again.

I fish a lot of grubs and smaller cranks - small mouth is my most often prey - you can feel every wobble of every bait. I can feel the sand ridges on the bottom as I work jigs and Lindy rigs...

Tomorrow I'm taking off on a motorcycle ride for S&G - Park Falls to see St. Croix is stop one. Rollie and Helen's Musky shop is stop 2.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
goodshot, thanks for the info. You mentioned Edge Rods and it should be noted that this is Gary Loomis' company. Gary also has North Fork Composites making rod blanks in the US.

Another company starting to gain attention in the northwest is Cousins Tackle. They're making some pretty nice rods in the US without charging quite as much as other rod makers. I'm seriously looking at a couple of their model 803 plug rods. Ward

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 1,990 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,190
Posts18,465,790
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.