Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
His choice of route may well have been intentional.

BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Hadn't considered that...😳

DF

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
They all like telling their stories. Askins just happened to tell them to outsiders as well.

Love his books.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I remember seeing him at the 1970 NRA Convention in New Orleans. He was of average height and statue but definitely had a presence about him. I watched as he left the Hilton, headed from Poydras to Canal and the French Quarter, alone and after dark.

I was a bit concerned, thinking he may not know the area; I sure wouldn't take that walk alone at night.

That was before I read Unrepentant Sinner. That old dude was for sure packing and don't ya know, NOPD would be sorting, bagging and transporting perp or perps who would have acosted him.

DF

Old dude??? He only would have been 63 at the time.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had the good fortune to end up with Major Charles Askins, Sr.'s personal Browning Superposed. I hooked up with Bill Askins in San Antonio, the Col.'s son, and got a lot of Askins info over a number of years, 600+ posts, some B.S., but mostly solid, previously unpublished Askins info.

The Major was an easy going type, was the highest paid gun writer of his era, a noted shotgun authority. This gun was ordered by him, built by Browning to his specs.

The Col. was a firebrand, evidently a lot like his Irish mother. He adored his Dad, was estranged from his Mom and sister. I've posted this link before, will do so again as it adds to the Charlie Askins, Jr. legacy.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124719

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cra1948
I remember seeing him at the 1970 NRA Convention in New Orleans. He was of average height and statue but definitely had a presence about him. I watched as he left the Hilton, headed from Poydras to Canal and the French Quarter, alone and after dark.

I was a bit concerned, thinking he may not know the area; I sure wouldn't take that walk alone at night.

That was before I read Unrepentant Sinner. That old dude was for sure packing and don't ya know, NOPD would be sorting, bagging and transporting perp or perps who would have acosted him.

DF

Old dude??? He only would have been 63 at the time.

laugh

At that time, to me he seemed "old"... blush

Now that I've pasted that mile post, not so old... grin

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Someone hinted at it, but I will spell it out. Different era. He was good at what he did. Had he lived to be 150 and continued hunting, he would have adapted to the changing times.

Changing times.

The 8mm bullet in the right hands is all you need. While there were times that bullet/caryridge s3lectipn was poor, remember the time. No copper. Next to no partitions/H mantels. Bonded whats?

We also had fewer antis, and more people that knew their way around a rifle.

Last edited by Steve Redgwell; 07/12/16.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Here's another good read with lots of photos.

Asian Jungle - African Bush: Colonel Charles Askins

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No use for Askins and certainly none for Jordan.
Killing the enemy is one thing.
Killing a fellow officer while practicing your speed shooting is another.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Askins pulled no punches. And that's why I chuckle when people try to say Peter H. Capstick wasn't a real PH because Askins said Capstick was his PH in Botswana. With 21 safaris under his belt, Askins certainly knew a real PH from a bartender.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oldman1942
No he would not. He'd just tell the idiots to F-off and if they took exception he would take care of business just like the Kraut taking a dump found out.

Ha,...looks like "stool research" has gone the way of the Dodo Bird, another Larry Root personna flushed, and gone.

Adios, MF.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Yeah Brit he was pretty bad! grin

On the other hand, Bob, if you were in a fox hole, pinned down by hostile fire, Ole Charlie would be a pretty good companion.

DF

DF: No doubt about it.

I agree with the fact he was pretty bad under contemporary standards of political correctness. But in his era, he was what the doctor ordered.

I'm not so sure sometimes that we have so many problems today, because we don't have more like him.

It's ironic that the existence of civilization depends in large part on the existence of the Warrior Cllass. This is irrefutable and proved by history.

The dumbing down and P.C. profiling of our military is gonna cost us. Georgie Patton, in today's Army, would have never made General. Just being one of the greatest tank commanders of all times wouldn't matter. P.C. trumps about everything. I don't see Patton suffering fools kindly, catering to transgender and openly homosexual troops.

DF

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by John_Boy

Who killed who practicing the quick draw?? I must have missed that. In any event, putting Bill Jordan in the same category as Charles Askins might be an injustice to Jordan. I don't recall much, if any, negativity about Bill Jordan, but you certainly can't say the same about Cheerless Charlie.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef

Who killed who practicing the quick draw?? I must have missed that. In any event, putting Bill Jordan in the same category as Charles Askins might be an injustice to Jordan. I don't recall much, if any, negativity about Bill Jordan, but you certainly can't say the same about Cheerless Charlie.

I had that same question, look forward to the answer.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So the story goes about Jordan from another Border Patrol agent who served in the 1950's.....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So the story goes about Jordan from another Border Patrol agent who served in the 1950's.....

? hearsay ?

More / some evidence !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
I just read THE HUNTER'S RIFLE by Charles Askins. I found it to be an excellent read and I was really surprised at the amount of game Askins killed. But I wonder if he really believed 8mm was better than .30 cal or if that was just his shtick?

I met a man in Salmon, Idaho a dozen years or so ago while walking down the street and we talked. He knew Elmer Keith, hunted with Keith and was a member of the Masonic Lodge with Keith. I asked if Keith actually regularly hunted with the 375 H&H, as he espoused the 375's virtues regularly in his writings. The man said that Keith never used the 375 when he was hunting with him, preferring instead to use a 30-06 with heavy bullets. His feeling was that this was just a niche topic that Keith could write about and it kept him published.

This is probably the same situation that Atkins exploited.

Last edited by djs; 07/13/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't care much for prejudice, but there was a time I was.

I've worked as a missionary in Cameroon, Africa, South America, Central America and have worked in Australia, Mexico and Canada. I've also visited several other countries. When you get to know people on a personal basis they no longer are the demons that people say.

Japs and Krauts - WWII, Gooks during Vietnam. Towel heads, camel jockies, [bleep], honkies, queers, G.. Dam Yankees, Spooks: all labels that can be dished out only to hurt people. If you hang around people that use names to belittle it's possible it may rub off.

As far as Col. Askins: there but by the grace of God there go I. We could all have been in his shoes. No condemnation from me. Just thankful.

As far as Safaries. I'd love to share that experience with close friends. I'd rather deer hunt with a friend than shoot a monster "anything" by my self.

Before premium bullets bigger was better or often was.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry, but my information provider died in '97, however I've never had any reason to doubt my dad..... There is always the chance that he was referring to someone else, but the reaction I got when referring to Jordan's shooting ability leads me to believe he knew what he was talking about.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Sorry, but my information provider died in '97, however I've never had any reason to doubt my dad..... There is always the chance that he was referring to someone else, but the reaction I got when referring to Jordan's shooting ability leads me to believe he knew what he was talking about.

Google John A Rector, Border patrol, 1956. Maybe your will find your answer.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
259 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.