Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
What is your opinion of Cutco knives? My wife, a great cook, says they are some of the best.

RS

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are very good knives. I have had some for over 25 years now and they still cut great. Back in the 80s Cutco and Kabar became one and the same.

Too bad Vector Marketing is such a scam. They basically "hire" kids in their late teens and early 20s to sell their knives. The kids even buy their own set of sample cutlery at a "discount". Once they run out of friends/family to sell knives to, they pretty much give up on the knife selling and quit. Then Vector hires a new batch of younguns.......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've used Cutco kitchen knives for years the edge seems to last forever, also used their hunting knives. While I like their hunting knives their lack of a guard is a serious drawback. It's too easy for the knife to slip in your hand when covered with deer blood, I have seriously considered adding a guard to my Cutco hunting knife. The model with the big orange rubber handle is otherwise just about ideal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure they have free sharpening for life also. But ya never need it or certainly not often...

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
In addition to being waaay over priced, they come with mediocre steel, grinds, and profiles.

If you need something Cutco, the kitchen scissors/shears would be my recommendation.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The double D edge is pretty good though. It's a very shallow serrated edge that slices well and helps with edge retention.

On the hunting version I have the blade thickness is quite thin as it should be and the big grippy rubber handle doesn't get slippery even when wet or bloody. You can sharpen the double D for a while then get it re-profiled for the cost of shipping.

Overpriced but there are many worse knives out there.

Last edited by North61; 07/10/16.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I stopped at the Cutco store in Olean, NY. I didn't think they had a very big selection of knives. Bought a knife sharpener. About all i could afford there.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A serrated edge tears more than cuts.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I've used Cutco kitchen knives for years the edge seems to last forever, also used their hunting knives. While I like their hunting knives their lack of a guard is a serious drawback. It's too easy for the knife to slip in your hand when covered with deer blood, I have seriously considered adding a guard to my Cutco hunting knife. The model with the big orange rubber handle is otherwise just about ideal.

Never once needed a guard on a hunting knife.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RipSnort
What is your opinion of Cutco knives? My wife, a great cook, says they are some of the best.

RS

We have a set that I acquired in a back door kind of way. They came with the bakelite drawer holder that I didn't need, wanted a block to hold them. That damned block was $140 or so 10 years ago!

Great knives, I just wish I could get my wife to use them properly..............oh well, the resharpening service is wonderful.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oddly, as far as kitchen knives go, I'd say the wife is far rougher on them than I....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If your hand slips down on that double D edge you'll know why I want a guard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Oddly, as far as kitchen knives go, I'd say the wife is far rougher on them than I....

You should get her an Old Hickory paring knife.....my favorite.... wink

[Linked Image]

grin How's it going Ken.....long time....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
An el cheapo set of knives are on the kitchen counter for the wife to use, so far she's managed to bend the tips on a couple doing who knows what. The good cutlery resides in my man cave and gets brought out when I'm butchering a deer or grilling. Agree the Old Hickory is about as tough as nails, good old carbon steel takes and holds an edge like nothing else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ha, I love mine too, Charlie. I still have 3 of them. I bought all 4 at same time. I put BLO on the handles and a forced patina on 2 with the "special sauce". Maybe some paste wax too, he11, I don't remember.

I will be in touch...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Laffin'. Yeah, I have a whole separate block of knives the wife don't touch. Made up of Russells, and Ontarios and OHs. Think there is an Olsen fillet knife in there as well.

She is hell bent on throwing anything and everything in the dishwasher, so I let her continue to ruin the Cutcos, Wusthof Classics, and Forschners all on her own......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yea....give me a shout when ya get a chance....
Believe it or not...I still haven't sharpened it since you gave it to me....just hit it with the steel once in a while and she's GTG....and I use the hell out of it....I don't own any steak knives (it's the hillbilly in me) so that's my go to knife when I'm eating something that requires cutting.....as you can see...it has a double dose of "honest patena" since you last saw it...

Take care of yourself...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

629 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,016 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,447,994
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.