Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Those 94-22s are sweet. I especially like the full length ones. Unfortunately, mine is the shorty version. Yeah, yeah. I know. TWSS.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Around these parts, you see very few shorty 94-22's. I wish I had one. Both of these will be gone in a few years. ...assuming the kids leave home.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
...assuming the kids leave home.
LOL.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Im trying to get every tractor/truck outfitted with its own verminater....dont care for packing one on my body when Im working

have a sr22 that rides in the pouch on my 4 wheeler when checking cows....its tough and works good for gophers , skunks and such

a stainless security six would be great for one gun , and trust me , you will like stainless for chore duty.....I wouldnt care to throw a nice Smith in the tractor...things do tend to get beat up and wet

I would like to get my hands on a sp101 in 327; the older model with a 3 inch barrel....near perfect for any vermin in my book

been thinking on a sr9c for another tractor....supposedly they are quite accurate and 9mm ammo is cheap and plentiful

a m77 all weather 223 with 6x scope rides in a old scabbord on my wintertime feeding tractor....perfect for the job and tough as nails

you will never see a dumb yote when you are packing a gun though , apparently they can smell a weapon a mile away

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
two loads of snake shot, 3 hollowpoints

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RexM
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I carry my old S&W Model 66 .357 service revolver all the time since I moved to the toolies. It would be good medicine if a wolf decided to try to eat my German Shorthair while we are out roaming the woods and fields together.

It rides in a full flap holster, loaded with Winchester Silvertips that I got free when the department went to semiautos a few years before I retired..

I admire that model a bunch. Are you confident in the .357 for putting down stock or deer?

I spent 25 years as a game warden. I carried the 66 with Silvertips as a service weapon for about 9 years. It accounted for about 30 deer and one bear during that time, plus several feral dogs. I have no doubt that it would suffice for any 2 or 4 legged problem I would ever encounter around here.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 4ager
A beater Ruger Security Six or GP100 in .357 would cover damned near all bases and affordably so.
Is that what you carry on your ranch, Sean?

Oh good. TRH only wants people to post about things they have direct experience with.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I hunted deer for several years with my 6" S&W 686 with 145gr SilverTips. Worked kind of okay with thru-the-ribs shots. However, one year I was in my tree stand when a shot rang out. Along came a limping large doe that had been shot in the hind quarter. She decided to bed down directly under my tree. So, I thought I would do the half-@ss shooter a favor and put his deer down for him. My shot was from above and down thru her back on one side of the spine and angling into the chest cavity. At the shot the deer got up and walked off. I was astounded. This was the morning, and after lunch I returned to the same general area to hunt. I was on the ground now, and along comes a limping doe (Yep, same deer) that I dispatched with my shotgun. In dressing the deer out, I found a nicely mushroomed .357 SilverTip bullet in the heavy fat on the back of the deer. The bullet never penetrated into the chest cavity. I quit hunting deer with the .357 Magnum after that, as I find it to be a marginal deer cartridge. Now I use a .45 Colt that puts them down with authority. While the 145gr Silvertip may be okay for a defensive load, it is woefully inadequate as a hunting round. Just MHO.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 4ager
A beater Ruger Security Six or GP100 in .357 would cover damned near all bases and affordably so.
Is that what you carry on your ranch, Sean?

Oh good. TRH only wants people to post about things they have direct experience with.
Sean sent out the Bat Signal hours ago. What took you so long?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When all else fails, just play the victim card.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by USSR1991
I hunted deer for several years with my 6" S&W 686 with 145gr SilverTips. Worked kind of okay with thru-the-ribs shots. However, one year I was in my tree stand when a shot rang out. Along came a limping large doe that had been shot in the hind quarter. She decided to bed down directly under my tree. So, I thought I would do the half-@ss shooter a favor and put his deer down for him. My shot was from above and down thru her back on one side of the spine and angling into the chest cavity. At the shot the deer got up and walked off. I was astounded. This was the morning, and after lunch I returned to the same general area to hunt. I was on the ground now, and along comes a limping doe (Yep, same deer) that I dispatched with my shotgun. In dressing the deer out, I found a nicely mushroomed .357 SilverTip bullet in the heavy fat on the back of the deer. The bullet never penetrated into the chest cavity. I quit hunting deer with the .357 Magnum after that, as I find it to be a marginal deer cartridge. Now I use a .45 Colt that puts them down with authority. While the 145gr Silvertip may be okay for a defensive load, it is woefully inadequate as a hunting round. Just MHO.

Don

I certainly do not doubt you, but my experience with the 145 gr. .357 Silvertip was much different. I cannot remember a bullet from that load ever staying in a deer. Typically there would be an exit hole about half to three quarters of an inch in diameter on a chest shot.

Admittedly, I was shooting deer that had been injured by cars, fences and dogs, but some of them were still mobile and had to be hunted down. I remember one good sized doe that I tracked into a swamp after she was hit by a car. She was on 3 legs but could still go faster than I could. I got a quick shot at her from about 30 yards and hit her right behind the shoulder broadside. She went down like a pile of bricks and the bullet ended up in the swamp somewhere.

I don't consider it an explosive expanding load like a 125 gr. HP, but penetration has never been an issue in my experience.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 07/13/16.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger calls this their Ranch Rifle in .223

[Linked Image]

If you'd rather carry a hand gun then I think either of these in .44mag loaded with .44 special would be the ticket

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by RexM
I carry my old S&W Model 66 .357 service revolver all the time since I moved to the toolies. It would be good medicine if a wolf decided to try to eat my German Shorthair while we are out roaming the woods and fields together.

It rides in a full flap holster, loaded with Winchester Silvertips that I got free when the department went to semiautos a few years before I retired..

I admire that model a bunch. Are you confident in the .357 for putting down stock or deer?

I spent 25 years as a game warden. I carried the 66 with Silvertips as a service weapon for about 9 years. It accounted for about 30 deer and one bear during that time, plus several feral dogs. I have no doubt that it would suffice for any 2 or 4 legged problem I would ever encounter around here.

Thanks for sharing, that is a lot of experience to draw from. I'll keep a look out for a nice older .357.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by USSR1991

Don

Thanks for sharing, occurrences like that are one reason I started the thread.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
Ruger calls this their Ranch Rifle in .223

[Linked Image]

I usually have a rifle in the truck, but it seems like I am a half mile from it when I need it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd carry a .44 mag or .44 Special with 250ish grain Keith bullets loaded to about 950fps.

If it will see lots of rounds, I'd buy a heavier gun. If it won't see lots of rounds, I'd buy a lighter gun.

I'd keep the barrel 4" or under (that's what she said).

If not this choice, I'd get a 66 and load it with 158gr SWC's to about 900fps.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Hard to go wrong with what 'flave prescibed.

Taurus .44 Special with 240 grain SWC at 950 fps. Goes everywhere I do these days.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In the fall and winter it's the G20 10mm or .40S&W. Mostly because the opportunity to go after some hogs or a deer can pop up at any time and I like to be prepared.

Now that it's hot I've been carrying a G19 9mm because it's cheaper on snakes and the bigger critters are more scarce. This summer it has already accounted for one copperhead, one water moccasin and five rattlesnakes. Just this morning I dispatched a corn stealing coon with it. I find 9mm to be adequate for critters under 50 pounds. I however, do not consider it a general purpose "ranch" gun. The 10mm still fills that role nicely.

A G40 with a red dot would be ideal for riding a tractor or four wheeler for the rare stupid coyote that thinks it's safe at 100 yards. I fully plan on getting one someday when funds allow.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A Ruger Single Seven .327mag would be a classy ranch carry piece IMO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Model 66 and Model 60 .357's, are two of my favorite revolvers to carry anywhere.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 11 invisible), 1,370 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,252
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.