Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Has anybody done it? Ive been trying but the rust wont convert to black no matter how long I boil it. Ive given it about 30 cycles, and its only a light grey. Briwnells says just keep going, its their formula im using but its a couple of years old. I called anther comany tday that makes rust bluing solution and he told me Rugers dont rust blue because they are cast.

Im using distilled water to boil.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Have not tried to rust blue Rugers but have blued many with conventional hot blue.
The older ones re particularly hard to get a deep black color.Normally blue at 280f and with the older cast receivers typically 300-310. It's a fine line. Not hot enough and you will get a dull black/gray too hot you will get a rust red film that can only be buffed off. Essentially start over.
Rugers can be a PIA.

Lefty C

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That high nickel content 8620 steel is hard to blue and make dark. Even then it will start to turn plumb color in time. Even factory bluing will start to turn plumb over time. I will bet the cylinder and barrel will rust blue normally since they are not cast.

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I rust blued a Ruger #1 with Laurel Mountain Forge Barrel Brown and Degreaser. The receiver did not color nearly as well as the barrel. It remained grayish-black while the barrel and lever came out a nice blue-black. Since the lever is also cast, I don't think investment casting has any effect on bluing. However, the steel alloy certainly does.

I did have a New Mod. Blackhawk charcoal blued and the frame came out a very nice dark blue-black, essentially matching the cylinder and barrel. So, there is a way to get a good blue besides ordinary hot salts bluing.

RAN

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Neither the barrel nor the cylinder converted well. Im wondering if the brownells solution has gone bad? Does the solution matter or is rust rust?

Stupidity is expensive
IC B2

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The solution composition makes a difference according to what I have read. The experts also say the the heat-treatment condition of the metal makes a difference. I agree with that. In my experience, the modern alloy steels like 4140 are difficult to rust blue. The straight carbon steels in old guns usually rust blue nicely unless they have been previously case hardened. If you don't get a good blue in 6 rusting cycles, you are wasting your time

I doubt the solutions go bad with age since they are usually nothing but dilute acid and water. I have always used the Laurel Mtn. solution since it contains a detergent, making it much easier to use. There is no need to have perfectly clean metal when applying the solution or when carding. What I mean is, fingerprints are no problem. This allows bare-handing the parts with no worries about spotting the finish.

RAN

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm bummed I won't get the rust blued finish I wanted. I have all the equipment already so I guess I'll go to my fallback position and cerakote it. I just need to get the "paint". What does the graphite black look like?

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd guess the investment casting is the culprit. The rust bluing I've done on Mausers always come out great.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Back long ago I got guns blued at Cleveland Black Oxide and on the shelf were very thick books with every gun ever made and a formula for the salts needed for each steel.
Rust blue a Ruger???

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by John_Boy
I'd guess the investment casting is the culprit. The rust bluing I've done on Mausers always come out great.

Mausers rust blue nicely because they are made from plain carbon steel with none of the chrome, nickel, or moly used in more modern hi-tensile alloys like 4140 or 4340.

RAN

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I rust blued a Mauser that has a Midway barrel on it. I didn't have any issues. That's why I tackled the Blackhawk. Totally different experience.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stupidity is expensive
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Snake River Marksman; 07/19/16.

Stupidity is expensive

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

346 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 1,815 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,433
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.