Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I am in the early stages of planning a full build from the ground up. Hope to start acquiring parts in the spring or begin sending parts out for work by the same time frame.

Going to start with a Ruger #1 action. The goal is a light and trim walking rifle. Here is the basis of what I want to have done:

Have the receiver, lever, trigger guard (and maybe quarter rib and scope rings) case colored.
Recessed safety and a trigger job are definitely in order.
Probably won’t use the factory barrel rib—will likely go Talley rings too. If I do use the factory rib, I will try to source some of the old vertical split Ruger rings.
Custom wood stock made, fitted and finished; will either be French or Turkish walnut.
Ebony fore end tip.
Skeleton grip cap (debating on blued or case colored)
Full octagon barrel—probably go with a soldered swivel stud instead of barrel band swivel stud.
On the fence about sights. If sights make it on there, I will likely go QD Talleys for rings.
Inletted swivel stud on buttstock (again, debating on blued or case colored)
Depending on the chambering (narrowed down to about 3) I will either go red pad or do an inletted skeleton butt plate (again, not sure if blued or case colored).

I am hoping to solicit suggestions from the people that have gone down this road before.
Any good metal work guys at the top of the list?
Good stock makers?
Any holes in my thoughts? Anything you would do different?

BP-B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Full octagon barrel and light don't belong in the same sentence.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you're feeling eight sided, you could always go with octagon for the wood side and round after that.

Me, I'd skip the octagon idea all together.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I could drop the octagon easy enough.

Was thinking about it more on the drive home and pretty much came to the same conclusion. Will probably go with a #1 or possibly a #2 contour depending on manufacturer.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Mark Penrod does great metal work!For stock makers I would just go down the list on the ACGG website and find the one that suits you best. Jim Bisio does really nice stock work and seems to be very reasonably priced.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Gene Simillion in Gunnison, CO.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you're looking for lightweight falling block I'd recommend building with a Hagn or a Dakota #10. They are a lot lighter. Rugers take a lot of work to build them right the first time. They can make a nice rifle though. Here's a 300H&H I built a while back.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep a lookout for one already finished and for sale.

I have never been disappointed with how they turned out! The delivery is also much better.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Savage_99

this is the reason I rarely post here

gunmaker
------------------
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Beautiful rifle Jim.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by JRGunmaker
If you're looking for lightweight falling block I'd recommend building with a Hagn or a Dakota #10. They are a lot lighter. Rugers take a lot of work to build them right the first time. They can make a nice rifle though. Here's a 300H&H I built a while back.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
WOW! not only that but WOWEEE!

Ignore Savage 99,it'll make your life better.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

YESSSS!!!! Lot of design cues there that I like. Beautiful work. Did you do the metal and wood work yourself?

I have considered the Dakota...not so much the Hagn (no real reason though). May still go the Dakota route.

Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Been doing that for years. grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks
I did everything but the engraving and Penrod installed one of his world class triggers. Extensive build pics here.
Custom #1 build

Hagn actions come in 4 different sizes from 1 1/4# to 4#. They are an exceptional action.

gunmaker
------------------
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

YESSSS!!!! Lot of design cues there that I like. Beautiful work. Did you do the metal and wood work yourself?

I have considered the Dakota...not so much the Hagn (no real reason though). May still go the Dakota route.

Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Been doing that for years. grin
wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many decades ago back when 'High Walls' were scarce and in demand I found a very well done one in a .224" improved chamber for a good price. There already were scope bases on it for a target scope which is what I wanted for chuck hunting.

It came with dies and brass. I had a Super Targetspot scope.

The Smiths name and address was on it's barrel.

I found the old smith and gave him a new Sako action I had got along with a Douglas barrel chambered for the .375 H&H.

Some time went by and I went back to him asking for it. He said he did not call because he made an error on the stockwork and the work was NO Charge.

All that could be considered as not perfect was the forend which was a little thin. The stock was well checkered like a custom should be.

I could not accept the 'no charge' bill. I was a purchasing manager and driving a new Porsche.

Finally he took $60. for all of the work which included bluing the barrel.

This was not a good event for either of us.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Savage_99

this is the reason I rarely post here

Gorgeous rifle

Do like everyone else does and just put him on ignore

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 07/14/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What cartridge is desired?

Much as I like Ruger #1's, for light weight I'd also agree going with a Hagn, Dakota 10, or a Soroka.

But for tradition's sake, Low Wall Winchesters are pretty light. Ballard Rifle Co is also selling a Low Wall action, that would be strong enough for modern cartridges.

I've thought about taking one of the current Browning/Winchester Low Walls and having it rebored to .30-30. That's not a full custom project of course, but it's fairly easy and inexpensive.

I've also seen an original thin side High Wall where the action was ground down to all the same width, and it wound up pretty light as well.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Exquisite, thanks for sharing smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Absolutely beautiful!

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I must say that is one of the finest looking falling block customs I've ever seen. Magnificent. That S&B scope sure is handsome as well.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
What cartridge is desired?

Much as I like Ruger #1's, for light weight I'd also agree going with a Hagn, Dakota 10, or a Soroka.

But for tradition's sake, Low Wall Winchesters are pretty light. Ballard Rifle Co is also selling a Low Wall action, that would be strong enough for modern cartridges.

I've thought about taking one of the current Browning/Winchester Low Walls and having it rebored to .30-30. That's not a full custom project of course, but it's fairly easy and inexpensive.

I've also seen an original thin side High Wall where the action was ground down to all the same width, and it wound up pretty light as well.

My initial cartridge thought was for a .22 Hornet or maybe a .30-30. Here lately though I have had this creeping feeling that a .220 Swift would be fun in a light single. Twist it right to shoot TTSXs or Partitions reliably and it would be about all I need for our Southern deer, pigs and varmints of opportunity.

Definitely not interested in any of the Low Walls or High Walls. They just don't do anything for me. I am a much bigger fan of the lines on the "Farquharson-esque" actions.

The Soroka leaves me cold. The way the under lever pivot and trigger structure hangs below the action just does nothing for me. I am a much bigger fan of the Hagn, Dakota and Ruger where this structure is tucked into the action and stock.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't have one but do lust after a full custom single shot.

You should check out Dough Turnbulls work some excellent case coloring and also several iterations of single shots.

Decide if you want a more British, Continental or American style? Then see who specializes in that style. This would also dictate the cartridge somewhat say a .219 improved zipper versus a 5.65x57mm Rimmed.

Jim Kobe and Steven Dodd Hughs are masters with single shots no need to look further.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I vote for the Dakota #10 action. I've lusted for a long time . . .

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
IF I'm going to drop a LOT of coin on a full out custom rifle, it's going to be chambered for a cartridge I will shoot a bunch (no heavy recoil etc) and for something that I ain't gotta change out the barrel in 1000 rounds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Absolutely fabulous!!!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Steelhead
IF I'm going to drop a LOT of coin on a full out custom rifle, it's going to be chambered for a cartridge I will shoot a bunch (no heavy recoil etc) and for something that I ain't gotta change out the barrel in 1000 rounds.

No disagreement here. That's why my first two choices were the Hornet and .30WCF. And I am leaning heavily towards the .30WCF. Low pressure round. Good brass life. Practically unlimited barrel life (more so with cast bullets)...plenty for my purposes.

The Swift is just one of those creeping thoughts. I admit it would be better served in a light bolt rifle build and not chambered for this project.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have always had an itch to do a 25-35 AI on a single shot action. In between the 250AI and 257AI in performance which is a very good place to be. Likewise a 30WCF AI is close to a 300 savage and the 308 Win in performance. A pretty good all a rounder.

The zipper is perfect for a highwall but for a Hagn or Farquartson I would go Euro.

Check out some of these by SDH and drool. http://www.finegunmaking.com/

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

+1 Great advice

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
What do you want to kill? That has not been mentioned and would help in our advice.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Lowgun
What do you want to kill? That has not been mentioned and would help in our advice.

"Southern deer, pigs and varmints of opportunity."

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

In a rifle like he's describing, a 7x57 Mauser would be classy and functional.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think a 250-3000 would be classy or a 257Roberts. Largest would be a 7x57. A all would be great rounds for your project
GreggH

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
In a rifle like he's describing, a 7x57 Mauser would be classy and functional.

John

Probably a bit on the large side of what I am going to do. If I went Euro the Swede is about the only small cartridge I am interested in and I already have that covered. Don't want to do any of the large stuff on this build.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by GreggH
I think a 250-3000 would be classy or a 257Roberts. Largest would be a 7x57. A all would be great rounds for your project
GreggH

Hondo's post immediately made me think of the Roberts but I could definitely get into a .250 Savage. That is one that has been on the radar for a while but I have never played with before. I could definitely see that being a good fit here.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
War_Eagle,

Roger Ferrell in Lafayette, GA (just outside ATL) is a guild member and does beautiful work. I haven't talked to him in a couple years. But there are pics of his work around the internet. He can build from the ground up or do a collaboration. Always been easy to work with and reasonable on his pricing for the quality of work he produces.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
War Eagle
You definitely would have the only 250 in your neck of the woods.
GreggH

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"d worry most that I"m putting the best barrel on that I could, if spending that amount of time and money.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
beautiful #1 in 300 h+H

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's my custom #1- hardly a light rifle, going around 8 lb., but certainly no heavyweight, either. Chambering is 7mm RCBS, but nowadays I shoot only .280 Rem. ammo in it- just as accurate as the wildcat, without the fuss. Barrel band sling swivel, and I use a leather buttstock cover with sling attached, to help protect the checkered metal on the buttplate.

I have owned this rifle for 35 years- Stock was done by Al Lind, in California English walnut, metalwork by Ray Viramontez, barrel is Shilen. Niedner-style pistol grip gap, and fine-checkered Biesen metal buttplate. Just got her back from the gunsmith today, who lightened the Ruger Lawyer trigger to a crisp 3 lb. I intend to use her this fall, to shoot a hog or two, and a red deer hind for meat.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.