Print Thread
Hop To
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Carolyn is getting ready for our move to AK in the future. Reading up on compass reading, all on her own.

All my compass are in AK... order her a silva ranger?

Also I have a cheat book somewhere that gives scales and such, I have always run UTM quads, and that little pocket book had scales and such on it... I can't seem to find a copy here either, or on the net to easily? What am I after there?

Much appreciate the input!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff, get me an address and I'll send her a compass and quad square.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
not looking for a handout, just whats good to buy. I'm fairly sure what we have in the packs in AK are silva rangers...

Just wanting to check on whats good, IE buy something other than ranger? And I'll google quad square, maybe that will help.

Give that stuff to a young person starting out!

Thanks, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The books help but nothing works as well as time in the field.

A few years ago I bought 2 sets of cut rate trekking poles from Cabelas. Each pole had a compass in the top of the grip. At any given time, each of the 4 compasses pointed a different direction, up to 180 degrees different. We could chose which way to go to get the most lost.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
not looking for a handout, just whats good to buy. I'm fairly sure what we have in the packs in AK are silva rangers...

Just wanting to check on whats good, IE buy something other than ranger? And I'll google quad square, maybe that will help.

Give that stuff to a young person starting out!

Thanks, Jeff

Will do on the youngster. I've been using a Ranger for nearly 30 years. They just work. As for the quad square, technically they are called a UTM Grid Reader (I have v2; don't know if there are later versions at this point).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks Sean, Ranger it will be when I order this week then.

Rock Chuck, the notebook is a scale basically and straight edge and it generally has all scales... its not a book about how to use a compass, she has that down basics, and is reading a more detailed book so she feels confident with a backup system to the GPS while we are in Alaska in the fall and once we move.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Rost495-
I had heard some time back that Silva had been bought out--I want to say by Suunto, but may have been Brunton.
The site I normally look for compasses(REI) doesn't show the Silva Ranger 15 anymore(or any Silva). It and the 16 have been long time favorites, and have wondered about replacements when the time comes.
FWIW--I do like the Brunton Eclipse for plotting a UTM reading for my location on a topo. Using it in conjunction with my GPS, I can generally plot/determine my location within a few yards +/-.
I am curious if & where you may have seen the Silva line for sale recently.
Thanks.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
LO< have not. Was looking for suggestions.... that may complicate things tonight once again... life... ugh....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Silva isn't silva anymore.
Look at Suunto M2 Global.

mch Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Amazon still lists the Silva Ranger in stock. You might try there.

IC B3

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Will check em all later tonight or Tuesday as time allows.

I saw the Rangers on an amazon link, but I never went there, was just googling on Saturday.... doesn't mean they have em though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by budman5
Silva isn't silva anymore.
Look at Suunto M2 Global.

This ^^^^

I did an extnsive look at compass a year or so ago. I bought 2 Suunto M2's. Might also consider a Recta DS50.

Last edited by bwinters; 07/11/16.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Silva compasses are still on the market, but i've read that they are now chinese made and not comparable to the older suunto built silva stuff.

I've carried my old ranger for nearly 40 years now and it is still a very good piece.

If I were buying today, it'd be a suunto.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll look into 2 Suunto M2s.... and retire the rangers to practice for Carolyn.

I saw 3s easy on the net yesterday but no 2s but honestly I didn't look that far...

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
never mind, found em on 2nd look. But says fixed declination, going to have to go check on the Suunto sight, that can't be correct... even the picture has the mini screwdriver to correct declination...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just looked at the new Suunto M2s and don't like the mirror, it's very foggy.
Looks like cheap plastic. They used to install good mirrors.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well that sucks for 65 ish to 85ish dollars....

wonder what to look at next...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Junk Chinese version as some have noted or not? I"ll read further... at glance I didn't see china mentioned or not.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 65 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.