-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot 870's a lot -like them. I've shot 1100's a lot - like them. I've had a Model 12 28" solid rib 2 3/4" full choke since I was a teenager. That shotgun is worn out. I bought one identical to it a couple of years ago in near mint condition. I bought it at a rediculous low price when others in worse shape were in the gun library at four times the price. I asked why the low price the salesman said it wasn't standard. It had been modified. I guess they never saw a pre-war Model 12.

For $400 I bought a treasure for me.

I'm too old to buy any more shotguns, but if I did it would be a Beneli.

If I could afford it, it would be a British sxs. I like a straight grip or nearly straight. Balance critical. Quick to point. Drop on stock would have to be right. Full and modified...

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson
Originally Posted by 65BR
Folks, what ammo do you prefer for all around personal protection? Is 00 good, or better smaller/more shot?

Federal LE132-1B

Flite Control wad
More pellets than 00
Big enough pellets to go deep enough to do what it needs to do
Less penetration through drywall

Google it.

Buddy gave me several boxes of old Winchester entry loads, 12 ga 2-3/4" #1 buckshot, it carries 20 copper plated #1 buckshot, if you do the math, that's a helluva payload in 2-3/4".

20 X's 30 caliber per pellet.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Rem 870 , none better

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
First priority for a shotgun to used on winged game is that it fits. And fits to the point of being an extension of ones arms. If you like a gun and break 14 targets out of 100 it is useless. I have a BPS pump and an old Citori that fit well enough to keep around.
I wish I knew where my brother sold my dad's 20 ga. Kassnar-Fias o/u as I could hit anything with that.

Point being , shot as many as you can on a clay bird range if upland game is to be important. Do not worry about Name recognition. I don't think grouse can read.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Model 12, the perfect repeater...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 28" over/under 12 ga. that has changeable chokes. It's a Franchi field gun but I had the trap sights put on it and I have been having some real fun shooting trap with it. I would not be afraid to use it for pretty much anything hunting and home defense.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 870 Wingmaster 3" Magnum. Nothing it won't handle and almost indestructible. Had mine since 1978 and still going strong.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My choice would be my Winchester 21. It has double triggers, splinter forearm, old style pistol grip, 26 inch barrels and is choked modified and cylinder. Plain walnut and no engraving are the order of the day. It is great on dove and ducks on the creek.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Straight up utilitarian with no style? Benelli M2, otherwise pass me a Beretta Silver Pigeon.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A-5 it has never failed to bang in 25 years

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Limited to only one shotgun in 12 gauge it would have to be a side by side, either high end American or English double. I'm pretty fond of both my Lefever and Thomas Bland doubles but might look for a Super Fox 3" and by adjusting the loads, use it for everything if truly limited to one 12 gauge shotgun.

If I wasn't limited by gauge but limited to one shotgun, I'd go with an English 10 bore, 2 7/8", choked around light IC and tight modified and load it as needed for whatever game I was after. ITX and bismuth for water fowl and 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 ounce lead for upland.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot almost all the mentioned shotguns, except the Purdey....... I can't believe there are no Winchester SX2-3 people here.

I have 2 of these: http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...current-production/sx3-black-shadow.html

One in 20 ga with 26" barrel, one in 12 ga with 26" barrel. One for doves/upland birds, one for ducks/geese/turkey. They really are a nice gun.

As an aside, I tested the 12 ga with a variety of loads. I loaded it with one each of: 2.75" dove load, 2.75" 'duck load', 3" turkey load, and 3.5" turkey load. Shot all with nary a bobble, even though the light dove load is supposedly too light for the gun. It shucks them just fine, as fast as you can pull the trigger.

I'd roll with an SX3 all day, every day.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Only one? For everything? A Remington 870 Special Purpose 21" vent rib, with choke tubes. Done.

Ironically years ago I had one in this model, or the 23" Turkey Special, my Dad had a fit the first time I took it to a duck blind, he remarked the blast, but I'm sure he worried about safety, and that is always to be #1. I sold it...handled well. Seems it was the 23 as it had a camo stock, and the 21 had a "no pistol grip" English wood stock.

Yes, 870s have a reputation, did not know if the latest ones measured up to the old, like the new vs old 700s, Marlins, etc.

Looks like alot of Benelli fans.

Purdy, is purty....and pricey smile

Yes, if ONLY hunting and range work, I would enjoy a nice O/U but I want more capacity.........should the need arise to use something other than "bird shot" wink

Good choices. Folks, what ammo do you prefer for all around personal protection? Is 00 good, or better smaller/more shot? Like the ability to reach further than say #8....

Only comment I have about Benelli, and I'll likely buy one, sooner or later, though the new A5s look good and I have 3 old ones already... benelli a lot of the guys I duck hunt with have them. I generally hunt an 11-87 "junk" gun... I've never had an issue with mine, I"ve repaired 3 of the benellis so far... and a couple just had a bad jam issue in the field, due to not cleaning I'm sure, but I give em the 11-87 and take the benelli apart real quick and wipe down and hit with CLP and they shoot ducks with mine while I'm working on the benelli.. seems strange when they are supposed to be top of the line, and mine supposed to be junk...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
11-87's are pretty hard to beat

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Semi = Benelli SBE2 24" (better balance than the M2 in same)

Pump = Remington 870 26" (3", I don't like the extra shucking on the SuperMag)

But as for me and my house, we'll stick with Ithaca 37 late models out of King Ferry with choke tubes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I like the Benelli Vinci that I been shooting the last three years or so! I never shoot 3" shells in it, and its light enough for me to carry all day, I shoot it just about as well as I shot an 870 in 28 ga some 45 years ago! Plenty of ammo around at reasonable prices too! It works for me, pheasants, ducks and geese! But i am not really a shotgun guy!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for the Browning A5 Light Twelve. Mine fits and handles for me like it was a custom job and it does just fine on the trap range.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Only one? For everything? A Remington 870 Special Purpose 21" vent rib, with choke tubes. Done.

Ironically years ago I had one in this model, or the 23" Turkey Special, my Dad had a fit the first time I took it to a duck blind, he remarked the blast, but I'm sure he worried about safety, and that is always to be #1. I sold it...handled well. Seems it was the 23 as it had a camo stock, and the 21 had a "no pistol grip" English wood stock.

Yes, 870s have a reputation, did not know if the latest ones measured up to the old, like the new vs old 700s, Marlins, etc.

Looks like alot of Benelli fans.

Purdy, is purty....and pricey smile

Yes, if ONLY hunting and range work, I would enjoy a nice O/U but I want more capacity.........should the need arise to use something other than "bird shot" wink

Good choices. Folks, what ammo do you prefer for all around personal protection? Is 00 good, or better smaller/more shot? Like the ability to reach further than say #8....

Only comment I have about Benelli, and I'll likely buy one, sooner or later, though the new A5s look good and I have 3 old ones already... benelli a lot of the guys I duck hunt with have them. I generally hunt an 11-87 "junk" gun... I've never had an issue with mine, I"ve repaired 3 of the benellis so far... and a couple just had a bad jam issue in the field, due to not cleaning I'm sure, but I give em the 11-87 and take the benelli apart real quick and wipe down and hit with CLP and they shoot ducks with mine while I'm working on the benelli.. seems strange when they are supposed to be top of the line, and mine supposed to be junk...

I wouldn't call that a "repair." I agree, that does seem strange and goes counter to my 20 years of shooting the hell out of a pair of M1S90's in all sorts of weather conditions and hunting situations. Those guns M2 or SBE? Nearly all the bad Benelli stories feature the SBE as the bad actor. M2's are bullet proof. With properly set up friction rings an old school Browning Auto Five is a damned reliable semi-auto shotgun too. If considering a pump gun my silver worn Wingmaster 870 is dead nuts reliable. I've had several Express models and had trouble with all three Express guns.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Early 1950's 870 in 16 gauge with either a modified or improved cylinder 26" barrel....

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.