Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I personally do not like the BM...at any price. I would wait for an ADL or BDL. There have been several posted in the classifieds for less than $700.

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally for me if it is built after mid 80's I will pass. Still prefer the older trigger and safety that locks the bolt, problems weren't with the gun but the idiots packing them.

ADL over BDL although I have only owned 1 ADL, like the cleaner look of the bottom of the blind mag.

$700 is pretty steep in these parts unless wearing decent glass.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have one of the J-lock guns. Damn thing shoots. Maybe I'm lucky. But I threw away the key the day I got it.I'll take a Remmy 700 in any flavor all day. Great rifles, just not the CF favorite. mtmuley

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Personal preference, but I've no use for a DM on a bolt action hunting rifle. It's not needed, and is just something to lose or go bad. Some guys love 'em, I suppose.

Could be wrong, but it's my impression that on some rifles, the feed lips are part of the magazine, which makes the action cheaper to make, but might be a problem when you decide to re-barrel to another cartridge, or change to a fixed mag. If you really want to try a DM, I'd suggest getting a kit for a regular rifle so you can switch back.

I don't like DBM either. Seems a lot here have "never had a problem" with a 700. I will be the only one here that has the balls to say I have had problems with them. The little pos they call an extractor is a joke, the trigger is a joke, J-lock (come the fu ck on) and the safety not locking the bolt is (yeah you guessed it): A joke. With this being said, the older Remington 700's were better than the later ones. Good luck with it..

For the most part, BSA and I are on the same page. However, the older Remington Model 700 that I own in .338 Win Mag has been a wonderful rifle for me. It has made 2 trips to Africa as my primary plains game rifle and has taken 30 plus animals. I really don't need it anymore, but just can't bring myself to sell it. Go figure.

I have considered setting it up as my "Texas Hog Rifle", but certainly don't need that kind of fire power.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No way in hell I pay $700 for a used 700. Maybe $450..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remington 700's usually take a little work to get them shooting right but I still wouldn't turn one down for the right price. No way would I pay $700 for a used factory model. When I get one, Its usually stripped down to just the barreled action and put back together with quality parts. Factory Remington's are pretty bad here lately but they can be made into nice guns.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a bunch of 700's and they all are shooters! Haters gonna hate!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If looking for a solid hunting rifle with lots of aftermarket options, I've always found it hard to pass up a new or used stainless 700. I often re-stock them with a stiff handle of laminate or fiberglass, tune the trigger to 2-2.5lbs, and proceed to find a good sub-moa load in short order. Not had a bad one yet. I have had a few 700s that benefited from a new crown, but that's about it.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Your choice.

I personally would rather brush my teeth with a chainsaw.
LMAO...

But I hear ya..

To the OP - I'd pass, personally.. Due to price and DBM issues.. Not to mention triggers and detached bolt handles.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Redneck

Your choice.

LMAO...

But I hear ya..

To the OP - I'd pass, personally.. Due to price and DBM issues.. Not to mention triggers and detached bolt handles.. laugh laugh

Forgot to mention flimsy extractor and a safety that does not lock the bolt...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Redneck

Your choice.

LMAO...

But I hear ya..

Forgot to mention flimsy extractor and a safety that does not lock the bolt...
I wuz tryin' to be tactful and polite.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have three 700s and I'm happy with them.
I'll admit none of them are factory stock but they aren't much different.
They put the bullets where I want them and kill stuff dead enough they don't know they were shot with a inferior rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't pay $700 for a used one unless it was something out of the custom shop.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I actually have two - an older 700 I rebarreled to .358 STA and a newer (well, circa 1990)all-original 700 in .17 Remington.. THAT rifle is just SO much fun to shoot.. Topped with a Leupold Vari-X IIc AO 4x12 any varmint within 300 yards has NO chance..

But - as is typical with 700s with small-faced bolts it nearly always drops the empty casing onto the follower unless the bolt's operated with alacrity. I don't care though - this one's used basically as a single-shot anyway..

I dragged it outta the safe yesterday and set up on the back deck. The damned striped gophers have been getting away with murder lately.. That chit's gonna END.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I own more winchesters than remingtons because I really like them. But when it comes to hunting I take the candidates for the year out to the range and shoot them in hunting positions, and a certain old Remington Classic in 3006 wins every year. I have taken it hunting most every year since 1981. I did have problems with the extractor breaking at first but once that was fixed, no problems trigger or otherwise for at least 30years. . I have looked at the new remingtons and wouldn't buy them.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have an ADL and a BDL, both made in the eighties. Never had any problems with them and they shoot great. Never owned one with a DM.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rbell
I own more winchesters than remingtons because I really like them. But when it comes to hunting I take the candidates for the year out to the range and shoot them in hunting positions, and a certain old Remington Classic in 3006 wins every year. I have taken it hunting most every year since 1981. I did have problems with the extractor breaking at first but once that was fixed, no problems trigger or otherwise for at least 30years..

Dang, man, you need to buy a LOTTO ticket ----TODAY!! laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So most 700 owners should probably go buy lottery tickets😮

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 28lx
So most 700 owners should probably go buy lottery tickets😮

That's my takeaway as well but it's poor advice since I play the lottery a couple times a week but I never win even though a 700 has never given me a problem.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rbell
I a certain old Remington Classic in 3006 I did have problems with the extractor breaking at first

And this is yet another reason why 700s are avoided like the plague in Africa...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 71 invisible), 2,800 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.