Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
https://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-01RW10GT-10-Pack-Rubber-Washer/dp/B003CESZ5S

Rubber hose washers to set zero stop? Great idea..

But they are all the same thickness??? Howzit work?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Robert_White

Two stacked together will allow you to dial down past zero till you feel pressure. Then back up to your zero. You won't get a dead stop on your zero. I feel it tighten up 1/4 turn past zero on mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
I took a buddy out to shoot who thought he wanted and AR with a red dot. I brought a VX6 1-6 scope and a T2 Aimpoint. I let him shoot at 50 yards out to 200 and he quickly saw the scope was a better all purpose optic.

That said, I have scopes and red dots for different reasons and enjoy both. I also shoot irons some. So it depends if you are gonna shoot close and fast or way out there but for most folks a good low powered variable scope will be a better optic. Even better if it has illumination and close to true 1x magnification like the VX6 1-6 with Firedot reticle or the SWFA 1-4.

This ^^^

I have 5 guns, 4 with scopes, 1 with an RDS...........I really could do w/o the RDS as I can easily accomplish what it does with a scope & be better for LR work at the same time.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Red dots suck in low light or at night in my experience. Scope for me.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's what lights are for

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pat85

Two stacked together will allow you to dial down past zero till you feel pressure. Then back up to your zero. You won't get a dead stop on your zero. I feel it tighten up 1/4 turn past zero on mine.

Somebody oughta could should make some in various thicknesses. I'm gonna have to experiment a bit. Machinist/benchrester up the road drills and taps the cover-cap-knob and puts in a longish set screw with lock nut so as to adjust it and lock it.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I make them (on my lathe) out of hard plastic for my Conquests and Nightforce SHV. One bummer of the "rings" method is it covers your reference line on the turret body. On my Conquests I put a dot of white paint on the scope body. On my SHV I got mo' fancier and milled a little cutout so I could still see the line.

The only tricky things are getting a good measurement and then, if a guy wants to go the cutout route, the ring needs to stay put on the turret body and not rotate. So it needs to be a light press fit.

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I stuck a Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x with illuminated reticle on mine, cantilevered mount. I'm more than satisfied- for $300 and change (scope and mount).

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/20/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Lot's of guys going to lot's of trouble to try and beat the hose washer idea, why I don't know. It works and works well.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
1-4 scope, SWFA , ,or maybe the new Steiner

IC B3

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lower power scope. 1-4 or similar. Wouldn't go bigger than 2-7.
Think vortex diamond back 2-7 has a pretty wide FOV

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've got an Aimpoint Micro, Aimpoint Comp, Vortex Sparq AR, 2 SWFA SS 1-4's, SWFA SS 3-15 and Trijicon 5-20x50 on AR's. All have the uses.

For one general purpose, I'd probably have to choose the SWFA 1-4.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TWR
Lot's of guys going to lot's of trouble to try and beat the hose washer idea, why I don't know. It works and works well.

Me?

Not sure if they'd fit an SHV, but if they did, they'd cover the vertical reference line for the turret. I like my solution better. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks again folks, great info.

Curious, any thoughts on a fixed 4x33 Leupold? Could add a CDS or M1...or LR duplex perhaps.

Thanks.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
FUNNY fhuqking schit!

How in THE fhuqk,did JeffZero "convince" herself that one "loses" the vertical scale ala Soft Stop?!? That is fhuqking HILARIOUS,that she can even fhuqk up crystalline pics!

Wow +P++!

Couple/few thousand words and all of them covered vertical reference scales. Have only seen 'em in use on 100+ scopes. Hint.

Though in fairness,I realize that it pales to (1) SHV Safe Queen's "testimony".

Laffin'!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

'BR,

The last Reupold 4x33 M1 I flogged upon,was an utterly DISMAL fhuqking failure and "tracked" like a Mad Woman going to take a schit. No rhyme and certainly no fhuqking reason. Adjustment increments were all over the place and it would not adjust in lineal fashion,nor repeat.

In fairness however,it were aboard a Magnum Research 22LR and that platform is tough on glass. It faired no better,when rolled to a boltgun.

The Illuminatti STEALS the fhuqking show.

Hint.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It all depends on how you expect to use the rifle. For a home defense gun it's hard to beat an Aimpoint. They're well proven by the military. I have a T1 on one of my rifles which is great in all light conditions and at ranges under about 100 yards. People with good eyes can use these effectively at much longer ranges. I like the Eotech reticle but they have had some reliability problems.

If you are primarily going to be hunting or target shooting then a scope is better. Again it depends on what you will be doing. I like 1-4 power for general use and have a couple of Burris MTAC 1-4's on rifles I use in 3 Gun. They are 30mm and have a wide field of view. The reticle works great for action competition where speed is important but would not be the best for precision shooting. They work fine for shooting plates out to 300-400 yards. You can get them for about $350.

If you have a bigger budget there are all kinds of scope options that are higher quality at whatever magnification range you want.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me it depends on my intended use. My HD guns have a red dot and the other a 1-4x. I have a midrange gun with a 2-7 that I typically use for calling coyotes and general truck duties when in the woods. My precision ar has the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x and it is absolutely superb in that role.

6x magnification, Short, light, good reticle for holding distance, zero stop and locking turrets and tracks true.

Msrp is a bit crazy but nib the TMR reticle like mine can be found at $1800 which is NXS money and less then US Optic, S&B etc yet in a compact package rivaled by only the S&B Short Dot which runs about $1000 more.

I will be buying another for a lightweight 6x47 build I have planned.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Somebody oughta could should make some in various thicknesses. I'm gonna have to experiment a bit.

There is a guy on snipershide who sells UHMW shim sets for like $20. You get shims for 2 turns, 1 turn, 1/2 turn amd 1/4 turn.

You zero the gun then count turns to bottom out the turret. Dial back to zero, remove the turret and add the appropriate shims then reinstall the turret cap on zero Mark.

I have them in my SWFA 3-15 and they work great. I needed 1 3/8 turns for my ar10 so I ground the 1/2 turn shim until it stops .2 mils below my zero to remove any tension in the reticle.

Also Jeff is mistaken in thinking the hose gaskets cover any reference lines. They fit inside the turret cap and jam on the turret body of the scope thus you can't see them.

Last edited by MallardAddict; 08/02/16.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have an old Redfied Accutrac widefield on mine. I like the wide field of view. I have walked the scope out to 500 yds I use the 62 grain Barnes. If I use the range finder, anything out to 500 yds better duck. Buy a leupold 4.5 x 14, have dial cut to bullet, velocity, etc. That be best. In my opinion

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used numerous sights for my A R 15. I use E0techs, Aimpoints and different power scopes. I still keep putting on the Leupold LPS 1.5 X 6 X 42. It fits all the uses for close in and long shots. It has great glass from 25 yards to 300 yards. Good shooting!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

243 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 257 mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 32 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,550
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.