Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11285440 07/02/16
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
...until S.C. squirrel season. I have two new places lined up to hunt them this year so it can't get here soon enough!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Squirrel season has been open in Missouri since Memorial Day weekend but the high humidity and 90+ temps aren't conducive to fun hunting.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, ours is October-March. Don't think I'd want to hunt them in hot weather even if I could.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
YOU SUCK!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Around here the best squirrel hunting is September & October. November isn't bad either, just different because the squirrels aren't in the trees cutting hickory nuts or acorns. In November and on into the winter months the squirrels are on the ground digging through the leaf litter looking for acorns on the ground. It's still good, I actually like to use archery gear and kill a few then. I can usually recover arrows when they're on the ground.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Indiana opens in 43 days.....can't wait for

"FREE RANGE ORGANIC LIMB CHICKEN SEASON".....just sayin'whistle grin

maddog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
63 days here...

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
August 1st start for Illinois, south zone.

wont be long! wink

dave

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Last year where I hunt, there were very few hickory nuts but this year is looking much better. I have already had some very good hunts.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When I was a kid ,I always heard that squirrels were no good to eat until the first frost.Is there any truth to that?

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by remrug77
When I was a kid ,I always heard that squirrels were no good to eat until the first frost.Is there any truth to that?

Can't speak for the whole country, but where I live, I've been known to fry a youngin' and eat it on the eve of opening day, and they're DELICIOUS!! grin And opening day is August 15th.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 07/13/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skinner
Last year where I hunt, there were very few hickory nuts but this year is looking much better. I have already had some very good hunts.

You been hunting in this 90*+ heat and 90% humidity? You like to hunt them more than I do!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I try to get in the woods at first light and hunt for a couple of hours. When it gets to hot for me it seems to be about the same time it gets too hot for them as well.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You want to wait till that first frost kills the warbles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lockhart

That's an old wives tale but if it makes you feel better then more power to you. I have very seldom found a warble/wolves on a squirrel. I have found them much more often on rabbits.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skinner
I try to get in the woods at first light and hunt for a couple of hours. When it gets to hot for me it seems to be about the same time it gets too hot for them as well.

How is the acorn crop looking in your area? I took a little scouting trip to my bowhunting spots on public ground Saturday. A good sized thunderstorm Friday had knocked out some limbs and blown some tops out and I found a bunch of overcup acorns in clusters on those limbs. Didn't see any of the bigger white oak acorns blown out. Or for that matter any black oak acorns or hickory nuts. The hickory trees out back here at the house have nuts but I couldn't find any on the public ground I was at.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I haven't noticed a lot of acorns yet. The squirrels have been cleaning up some of the remaining acorns left on the ground from last year. I am seeing several hickory nuts so in about two weeks it should get real interesting!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, by the end of the month the squawks will be hitting the hickories pretty serious. Man I hope we get an early cool fall.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MOGC

That's an old wives tale but if it makes you feel better then more power to you. I have very seldom found a warble/wolves on a squirrel. I have found them much more often on rabbits.

Yeah, frost doesn't kill them, by then most have hatched and left their hosts....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC

Around here, just about any squirrel you kill in hot weather is apt to have at least one. I generally use the "first frost" rule of thumb myself. I know you can eat them regardless but those squirmy, squishy little bastards are just too disgusting to deal with...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 1minute, 300_savage, 31 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,054
Posts18,463,191
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.