Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Guys, I have a #10 (6 pound) can of tomato sauce along with several cans of San Marzano tomatoes that have been languishing on my shelves and I'd like to try my hand at making my own spaghetti sauce. I have all the usual spices on hand but I'm a rank amateur at proportioning such a large, for me, amount.

Looking for some guidance.Quite awhile back I whipped up some off an internet recipe and it was downright boring.

Last edited by 284LUVR; 07/15/16.

GB2

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Can't help you with measurements as I don't really do them.

But you won't go wrong by sauteing some onions in a pan with oo or bacon fat, adding some dried Italian herbs, salt, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, and some anchovies. De-glaze with red vino, then add your canned sauce to that.

The canned tomatoes can be roasted in the oven. Prep them with some oo, salt, garlic, herbs, etc. Once caramelized, take out of the oven, de-glaze roasting pan/tray with red vino, then add to your simmering sauce.

A good way to build some depth of flavor.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks add, that's the kind of help I'm looking for.

Keep 'em coming friends.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BTW, Dan's sauce is awesome.

Here's an easy one.

Pasta with Italian Sausage, Tomatoes, and Cream

Ingredients:

for 2 servings. Incrementally adjust ingredients for larger groups.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 lb sweet (or hot) Italian sausage link, casings removed,crumbled
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper flakes
1/4 cup diced onion
1 1/2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained,coarsely chopped (prefer Tutorosso or Cento whole and peeled)
3/4 cup whipping cream (low fat works fine)
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 ounces pasta (any kind you like that day or what's on hand)
1 1/2 tablespoons minced parsley
grated parmesan cheese

Prep Time: 10 mins

Total Time: 25 mins

Directions:

1 Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat
2 Add sausage and crushed red pepper
3 Cook until sausage is no longer pink, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes
4 Add onion and garlic to skillet and cook until onion is tender and sausage is light brown,
stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes
5 Add tomatoes, cream, and salt
6 Simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 4 minutes
7 (Can be prepared one day ahead. Cover and chill.)
8 Cook pasta in large pot of boiling water
9 Drain
10 Bring sauce to a simmer
11 Add pasta to sauce and cook until pasta is heated through and sauce thickens, stirring occasionally,
about 2 minutes
12 Divide pasta between plates (or place in large serving dish or bowl)
13 Sprinkle with parsley
14 Serve, passing Parmesan freely

Note: 5 star recipe with 331 thumbs up reviews. Easy to prepare.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's the one we use. It is from an Italian friend of mine and the recipe is his grandmothers.

[Linked Image]

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B2

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a trip to Krogers for a bit more onion and some garlic cloves are in order.

Mike,does "nonna's" recipe require an all day simmer or is it less time consuming ?

I'm cool with it either way. Just asking.

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looks bogus to me, Mike. Everyone knows that Grannys work in "this anna that", pinches, dashes and smidgens !!!! grin

Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Here's the one we use. It is from an Italian friend of mine and the recipe is his grandmothers.

[Linked Image]

Mike
wink laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Denny, this is also an original Italian recipe for Pasta Bolognese. It's one of the best recipes I have.

[Linked Image]

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks,Greg. Looks to be very meaty which suites me well.

About 4 servings over pasta ???

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
284 LUVR, This has been a stable in my family for many years. It takes most of the day to make but it's worth it.

Cover bottom of very large sauce pan w/at least 1/2in of
virgin olive oil.
Chop two large onions into personal size pieces...meaning small or larger if you like.
Strip at least 6 cloves of garlic and when the oil is warm put the onions and garlic in and cook them until the onions are somewhat carmelized. You can't mess this up so don't worry about it.
Add 3 -4 large cans of sauce depending on the amount of onions you have.
Take at least 3 cans of your tomatoes and cut the tops/stems out and mash them in your hands till they come out as small pieces. Stir sauce as you go and keep ingredients mixed well. Put a pork chop in the sauce as it simmers and add six full size bay leaves.
The sauce should cook on low slowly all day and it should bubble up thru the center of the sauce. Stir occasionly and cook at least 6 hours. Do not cover the sauce as condensation will drip in the pan and thin he sauce. This is not wanted.
Brown 1lb of pork sausage and 1lb of hamburger meat and add to the sauce after six hours and cook for 45 more minutes.
Cook a good quality spaghetti to your liking...add garlic bread and wine or ice tea. You'll have plenty to freeze for another meal or two. powdr

IC B3

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by powdr
Put a pork chop in the sauce

I was wondering what to do with that last pork chop leftover from my meat run. laugh

Looks your recipe will work out with the ingredients I have on hand.

Thank you for posting,Sir.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love making sauce.

Mine resembles Mikes and LD's.

Basically I brown whatever meat, usually beef and pork, in a heavy pot. Remove and sauté onion, garlic and a bit of celery and carrot. Hit it with a bit of wine to deglaze, add meat back, add tomatoes and paste. Water or beef stock.

I season very simply with salt and pepper, bit of sugar, bay leaf, and oregano.

Let it simmer for a couple hours or more if you threw in a tough hunk of beef.

Sometimes when it's done, I pull the meat back out along with the bay leaves and hit it with a burr mixer to make it smooth.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Thanks,Greg. Looks to be very meaty which suites me well.

About 4 servings over pasta ???

Denny, I think so. This is traditional Bolognese. For some, it may be a little drier than they're familiar with. It's easy to make it "wetter". Just add some Italian romas and a little more red wine.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry Denny, been busy with bbq this weekend. Big local contest with a friend of mine competing as KCBS #1 in the country right now. To answer your question, it is "more better" the longer you let that pork cook in there. You might have noticed that the recipe cut off in the photo is "spaghetti sauce with pork chops". Pork chops, pork butts, whatever it may be, it damn sure makes the "gravy" better!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never used a butt for sauce. Usually pork sausage and either beef shank or short ribs.

Uber good meaty flavor.

Something to be said for a clean, bright tomatoe sauce as well with no meat. Just a goodly amount of evoo, some garlic, fresh basil, and nice tomatoes! Little salt and pepper, maybe some other fresh herbs, and a pinch of sugar.

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
MadMooner, more often than not pork sausage is ground butt albeit with seasonings added.

ENJOY !!!!

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Alone, at 72, I no longer make the big batches of spaghetti sauce I learned to make by watching my dad make sauce on the weekend, when I was growing up. Those were all-day cooking affairs that sometimes began before breakfast. And they produced a gargantuan portion fit to feed a family and their guests.

Nowadays, instead of stocking tomato sauce, Italian peeled tomatoes, tomato paste, etc, I just begin with any of a number of prepared sauces, like Newman's Own or Classico, and doctor it up according to my mood and what I have on hand.

You don't need a recipe--be creative. Look over the leftovers in the fridge to see what could go into the sauce, particularly things like celery leaves that may even have begun wilting, etc.

Go easy on the onions in a pasta sauce!!!

I know this thread is about using the OP's cans of tomatoes. But a simple sauce can be made from an equal mix of butter and olive oil, plus some broccoli flowers and whole garlic cloves. Spices to taste, usually parsley/flakes, salt, cracked red pepper, black pepper, Italian seasoning, lots of grated Parmesan at serving.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
MadMooner, more often than not pork sausage is ground butt albeit with seasonings added.

ENJOY !!!!

Hah. True enough!

I'll edit that to say "whole muscle, unground, pork butt"!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
284, I forgot to tell you to add 2 small cans of tomato paste to the recipe...makes a difference. Add when you pour in the sauce. Remove the cloves of garlic w/a straining spoon before serving. Do not use breakfast sausage as it contains sage. Let me know if you got these updates. powdr

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by powdr
284, I forgot to tell you to add 2 small cans of tomato paste to the recipe...makes a difference. Add when you pour in the sauce. Remove the cloves of garlic w/a straining spoon before serving. Let me know if you got these updates. powdr

Gotcha and thank you, Sir.

Kinda stopped using whole garlic cloves or even slicing/smashing them in my dishes. Went to rubbing my cloves on a lemon zester for a very intensified flavor. Saw it on a cooking show and dang it works very well !!! Try it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microplane-...ng-Parmesan-Coconut-Citrus-/191804256564

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (10gaugeman, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.