Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I'm headed to western Wyoming in September and I'm looking for some new boots. I have fairly forgiving feet and have never had blisters in any boots I've used. I'd like to go as light weight as possible but don't want ankle issues carrying a (hopefully) heavy pack out. I've heard of guys using light weight trail runners to extreme mountaineer boots.

I know it's a loaded question and all boots fit people differently. I guess I'm just looking for books you've used with success. I plan on ordering a few and sending back the ones that don't work. So let's hear what the experts have to say....

GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My desires matched yours. The Salomon 4D GTX has really been a great boot for me. Relatively light, yet good ankle stability. I really don't want to turn an ankle miles from the truck. I've hauled out multiple loads at my max weight with no foot or ankle issues. I don't know what my max pack weight is, but it's that point where the hip flexors start to really sing. Traction is great whether its steep hills, wet stones or damp logs. I've hunted in conditions from the 60s and dry to rain and down to the teen and 9" of snow. If standing around or still hunting with temps in the teens, I'd want more insulation, otherwise I've been very happy.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I fall firmly in the lightweight camp. I used to wear mountaineering boots, but found that for me a low rise trail runner or light hiker is far more efficient. Now my feet and ankles are stronger, and I turn ankles rarely if ever. I've taken them into the single digits with toe warmers, and many 95-115 lb. loads.
The Inov-8 400 and 390 were awesome, but no longer made. Occasionally you can find them on ebay. I've also hunted in the La Sportiva Crossover GTX, though they're a little narrow for me. If they fit your foot, some of the lighter Salomon's are decent. I wore out a pair of X Ultra Mid's that I liked. Go with your gut, you know your own feet. If you can safely haul loads with light boots your feet will thank you for not bludgeoning them with a full shank all day.
That's my take, other mountain hunters better than I come to other conclusions. Turns out we all have different feet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm
The Salomon 4D GTX has really been a great boot for me.

+1

I use them, my wife has two pairs, her girlfriend uses them.

This is my 41st year backpcking, the Salomon 4D is the finest boot I've ever used.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Salomon 4D GTX is hands down the most comfortable boot I have worn. It is an excellent boot. The only time I wished I had something stiffer was when I was hunting coues deer literally RIGHT on the border with GregW. We were climbing a super steep rocky nasty tough mountain and the Salomon's had too much flex. The terrain was so steep and rocky I felt my feet where moving and slipping in the boot.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Add me to the Salomon Quest 4d boot wearers for September hunting. I've been wearin mine day hiking for the past year in the Smokys. Not carrying big loads but am hiking 15-20 miles on a trek with a significant day pack. I have foot issues but they are very comfortable.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by STS45
The Salomon 4D GTX is hands down the most comfortable boot I have worn. It is an excellent boot. The only time I wished I had something stiffer was when I was hunting coues deer literally RIGHT on the border with GregW. We were climbing a super steep rocky nasty tough mountain and the Salomon's had too much flex. The terrain was so steep and rocky I felt my feet where moving and slipping in the boot.

Because of this, I bring a boot with the thought of getting through the worst slippery or cliffy terrain. I wish a boot as l.w. as the 4D would do the job but I can only think of the three days of moose pack-outs last September in Alaska.
But of all the things we debate here, boots is a very personal issue - as it should be.
When they stop working for you, its all over!

Last edited by bigwhoop; 07/15/16.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where do the Lowa Rangers fit on the lightweight/stability spectrum?

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
So you to guys using the salomon 4D GTX's...I picked up a pair last year after hunting season and really haven't put them to work yet, but they do seem comfy and a nice lightweight option when I don't need the support of my tibets. Do you treat the boot for additional waterproofing? if so what do you use?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Where do the Lowa Rangers fit on the lightweight/stability spectrum?

They really don't fit the spectrum... they're old school, 1.25 lbs heavier, and for my feet much less comfortable. The Salomon's are actually on the upper end of "light" IMO, which puts the Lowa out of the category.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
HW, I don't treat mine, but if I did it would be some sort of spray on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is my third season with the 4D's:

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Brad, after 3 seasons have they seemed waterproof for the most part?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If anyone is looking to pick up a pair of the 4D's, REI online has a smoking deal right now, $148 and free shipping.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by handwerk
Brad, after 3 seasons have they seemed waterproof for the most part?

And how's the sizing?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks for the heads up on the Salomons everybody. I just returned from REI and tried them on. They did the Outlet order in the store and they will notify me upon their arrival. I am usually a size 10 in lowa and Asolo and the size 10 Salomons were perfect.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Saving a hunski on good gear is cool.

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 07/16/16.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Are the Salomons available in Wide?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the sizing report lvmiker.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How tall are the 4Ds?

I have an ankle that loves to sprain, so have been wearing tibets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.