Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
krupp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
a Hammer double 16 2.5 " chambered drilling that has a unknown rifle caliber? They have not chamber cast the rifle barrel yet but only want $550 OTD.

Not off face, locks up tight, Krupp Staul barrels and is in very good condition. It is a guild gun not a well known maker with French or Belgian name on top.

My dilemma is that the rifle barrel will be an odd ball metric that I will never get brass or components for but maybe I am looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does it have nitro proof marks and a proof date?

I'm a bit confused by your description. Is it a French or Belgian gun, or is it possibly German/Austrian?? If French/Belgian many of their combo guns were built with a 38-55 chambering. You might check that and get lucky. wink

Last edited by luv2safari; 07/16/16.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

krupp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I apologize for the vague description.

Yes it is a proofed gun. Zella by the script. Top of barrel has an inscription of

" A. GILLE DESSAU. "

A 30/30 WCF chambered but a 38/55 was too long. I gave them half down with the rest due upon completion of the chamber casting. My concern is that it will be a 9.3x40 or 50 or something bizarre. $550 is chump change to a lot of people but not me.
Being a novice I am assuming everything should be in black and white and not gray when comes to identifying the caliber but maybe that is part of the fun. Maybe it seems I am looking for someone to tell me that I am being scammed but only I can make that decision and the seller is beyond reproach.
I guess I should be thankful for finding a very decent continental hammer drilling at a yard sale price and thank the range god for good fortune.

Brad

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No outside hammer gun for hunting.

Look for a well done SxS and find a particular slug to shoot well out of the other barrel and make it a 'drilling' for now.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Savage 99,

You might actually make sense in some of your posts if you had actual experience in what you posted about.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
krupp,

If it does turn out to be some oddball that would be a PITA for you to handload, then I'd probably pass. But it sounds like a nice gun that I'd love to load for and hunt with!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite 'faux' drilling is my Ithaca Deerslayer 12g pump with the open sights scope base on the barrel.

I used it for deer hunting where only slugs were legal here in ct and for a faux drilling in the rain up north.

It is handy and is quite accurate with slugs and a decent bird gun with shot.

Here is a pic of one from the net.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
My favorite 'faux' drilling is my Ithaca Deerslayer 12g pump with the open sights scope base on the barrel.

I used it for deer hunting where only slugs were legal here in ct and for a faux drilling in the rain up north.

[Linked Image]

Except for birds and deer it would be illegal in NV. Slug guns aren't legal for antelope, bighorn sheep, elk, bear, mountain goat, nor would they have sufficient range, as would a drilling with even a 30-30 or a 38-55.

How do you get instant barrel selection if a turkey jumps off a branch or grouse flushes when you have a slug chambered or shoot a deer when bird shot is in the tube?

As hard as you try, you don't have anything resembling a versatile drilling.

As to the rifle being a 9.3mm, most older 9.3mm rounds share the parent 9.3X72R brass as a base for forming.

Chamber cast it and slug it. It sounds like a possible "find". laugh

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First I'd buy it in a minute as most every cartridge is available or there is a way to make usable brass. Bullets can be cast, paper patched or resized to fit almost any bore.

I shoot a nice little drilling in 16ga(2 1/2")/6.5x58R Sauer. I have to cut to length and resize 9.3x72R brass down to the 6.5x58R and resize 6.5(.264) jacketed bullets down to .260. It is a great drilling and it is my go to coyote hunting gun. It is well worth the effort, in fact the effort makes it so much more satisfying to hunt with.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Savage 99 with my drilling I can take on just about anything that walks, flies or swims on this continent from my shoe laces to 250 yard without having to do anymore than push the safety off. Take your Ithaca and troll it over at the BP thread and explain that they just don't know what they are doing and your pump will do everything an old BP gun can do, maybe some one there will give a c--p.

By the way I love hammers for hunting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 07/16/16.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No outside hammer gun for hunting.

Look for a well done SxS and find a particular slug to shoot well out of the other barrel and make it a 'drilling' for now.

What the hell is wrong with you, anyway ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for injecting some savvy and SANITY into this post.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crossfire Opps,

Here in my state and perhaps other places a rifle barreled centerfire is not allowed on certain lands.

I can carry a shotgun however.

Thus the shotgun with even a scope would be!

cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

A pic of a gun that's not even yours?

Oh, and a drilling is a three-barreled long-arm, not a single-barreled gun you can switch barrels on. There's no "faux" involved, except your supposed intelligence.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crossfire Opps,

Here in my state and perhaps other places a rifle barreled centerfire is not allowed on certain lands.

I can carry a shotgun however.

Thus the shotgun with even a scope would be!

cool

Still not a drilling, or having anything to do with the OP, DumbassDon.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just because you live in a firearms restricted area that bans CR's don't troll your pump through here expecting anyone to even think it is a drilling or combination gun equivolent. It makes about as much sense as trolling it through the rifle section and saying it's as good as a rifle.

Most of the folks here that are enough into firearms that we have an interest in drilling/combination have a shotgun or muzzleloader to use in those areas. Also many of those areas will allow rifles for non-big game hunting.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erich
Just because you live in a firearms restricted area that bans CR's don't troll your pump through here expecting anyone to even think it is a drilling or combination gun equivolent. It makes about as much sense as trolling it through the rifle section and saying it's as good as a rifle.

Most of the folks here that are enough into firearms that we have an interest in drilling/combination have a shotgun or muzzleloader to use in those areas. Also many of those areas will allow rifles for non-big game hunting.

Erich,

It's not even his pump.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you like the gun, $550.00 isn't much of a gamble. Just remember when the shine is gone and you want to sell it, how easy will that be?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
krupp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks one and all for the expert advice.

I will humbly accept the fact that I did find a gift horse and stop whining that I will most likely have to hand load for it.

Brad

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keep us posted on your progress with the drilling.

If you need to find an off the wall cartridge reloading die C&H-4D is the place to look. They have the largest selection of dies and the costs are considerably less than anyone else. Their die list is almost overwhelming.. They even have bullet sizing dies and the owner is great to work with.

Odd bullets and cases can be had at Buffalo Arms again stuff you might not find anywhere else, for example they have four different weights of .228 bullets, only Hornady makes one and it is seasonal. They have paper patching supplies also.

Good luck. Get the old girl back out in the field like she was meant to be.

Hammer drillings rock, 16x16(2 1/2")/ 9.3x72R

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 07/20/16.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erich
Keep us posted on your progress with the drilling.

If you need to find an off the wall cartridge reloading die C&H-4D is the place to look. They have the largest selection of dies and the costs are considerably less than anyone else. Their die list is almost overwhelming.. They even have bullet sizing dies and the owner is great to work with.

Odd bullets and cases can be had at Buffalo Arms again stuff you might not find anywhere else, for example they have four different weights of .228 bullets, only Hornady makes one and it is seasonal. They have paper patching supplies also.

Good luck. Get the old girl back out in the field like she was meant to be.

Hammer drillings rock, 16x16(2 1/2")/ 9.3x72R

[Linked Image]

I didn't know you had that! confused

Well...it's another one I want to screw...errr...uhhh...trade you out of. whistle whistle whistle whistle

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1eyedmule, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,561
Posts18,453,703
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.