Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Very neat rifle.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I bought one a few years ago, and decided to do the same thing and leave the vintage scope on it. I have 2 other Swifts, and I have serious varmint scopes on them. This is for remembering what it was like in the early days of scoped Varminting...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I bought one a few years ago, and decided to do the same thing and leave the vintage scope on it. I have 2 other Swifts, and I have serious varmint scopes on them. This is for remembering what it was like in the early days of scoped Varminting...

[Linked Image]

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!
Bob

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very cool pickup, Augie. Congrats.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

A
Augie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thank you all for the input, much appreciated.

Shrapnel, that is a beauty, they do look so right with the vintage scopes. I've got a couple old PermaCenter 20x scopes, may put one on this rifle if it does well with the 6x.

I'm going to get it to the range tomorrow, hoping for the best. If it shoots well it might present a dilemma. I believe in leaving vintage guns alone if original but this one has such nice wood hiding under the old peeling finish I might be tempted to refinish the stock and have the bottom metal reblued.

What do you all think?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Augie; 07/18/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's only original once. I would enjoy it as it is and appreciate the wear and tear.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I wouldn't touch it, looks good as it is....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Augie
Thank you all for the input, much appreciated.

Shrapnel, that is a beauty, they do look so right with the vintage scopes. I've got a couple old PermaCenter 20x scopes, may put one on this rifle if it does well with the 6x.

I'm going to get it to the range tomorrow, hoping for the best. If it shoots well it might present a dilemma. I believe in leaving vintage guns alone if original but this one has such nice wood hiding under the old peeling finish I might be tempted to refinish the stock and have the bottom metal reblued.

What do you all think?

[Linked Image]

I don't think it looks that bad as it is. You can refinish a gun a dozen times, but it is only original once. I always bought whatever I could live with, and if that wasn't as good as I truly wanted, use it until I found the one that is in better shape, sell mine and buy the other one.

Too many guys "Bubba" these old guns up and then they are not original any more. There are no more pre-64 model 70's being made, so it is best to keep it original, someone else will always be glad to step into a gun like yours and be happy with it.

Shoot it and enjoy the gun, that is what it was made to do...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Leave it alone. Here's a somewhat battered '52 .270 that is a favorite...it'll be my Axis deer killer early next year. It wears its hunting scars proudly. Scope is an older Lyman 4X with a post/crosshair.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 07/21/16.
IC B3

A
Augie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Update, got it to the range last week and it was a disaster, the rifle did not group, it patterned. The ammo supplied with the gun was previous owners hand loads which were hot, sticky bolt with bullets seated too deep, 2.40. Did not fire more than 6 rounds.
Prime example why I usually will not shoot someones else's loads.
Pulled the bullets on all 100 rounds and salvaged the components, the brass is new Norma brass. Did up some moderate loads with H380 and seated the bullets out to 2.700 versus spec at 2.68.
Took it back out today and it did much better although the scope was not sharp or clear, kind of fuzzy , finally figured out adjust the eyepiece, backed it way off and got the scope clear.
Final 5 shoots were all touching at 100 yards, there are 10 shots on target, 5 before scope adjustment and 5 after that made the good group in center. Pretty happy considering old eyes and 6X scope.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's pretty good Augie, my little Hornet was kinda finicky when I started load development, I removed the sight boss screw, added a bit of locktight to the threads and just started it a bit back in and let it dry.

I couldn't believe the difference in consistent accuracy.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not bad at all Augie. Looks like you got a good one..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
as I groan with envy.....

one of the few number of rifles that exist on my dream list... and in one of the calibers to boot.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Not bad at all Augie. Looks like you got a good one..

BSA, not to horn in on Augies thread, but you being one of the pre-64 70 experts here, have you noticed any difference in accuracy with altering the sight boss screw tension or was my adjustment a fluke?

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gunner, that's not a fluke. Other members here have done the same thing. BobinNH has stated before that he's taken the screw completely out and have gotten good results. I have also made "dummy" screws and epoxied them into the stocks with no contact to the barrel. However, this was something I've done after pillar bedding and also freefloating the barrels. They still look original, but shoot like a house a fire... EricM has 2 rifles I've done this to and he can attest to how well they shoot.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4, many Thanks BSA, guess I'll leave that little stinger as is. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Augie
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Throat erosion is frequently an issue with the Swift....

Yes, I knew that and it does have me concerned but I figured I could part it out for the 700 I got in it if I had to.

Damn 700$, you got a deal on that rifle. and its a shooter also.
Congrats!

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice find!

If the barrel is bad enough, I'd rebarrel it with a vintage barrel before I would part the rifle out. Intact .220 Swifts are getting increasingly difficult to find and yours looks unmolested by recoil pads, side scope mounts, etc. In the long run, the the intact value will far outweigh what you could get out of the parts.

Depending on how old the ammo is you received with the gun, you may want to think about decapping them and reloading them with modern, non-corrosive primers. No sense exacerbating the existing throat erosion issue - those corrosive primers are the culprit and they will eat stainless barrels just the same as a carbon steel barrel.

Good luck with it!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
wow I killed a LOT of woodchucks in New England with pre 64 M70 Swifts.

Making me wish I had them back. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
184 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 25 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.