-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, I guess I'm the butt of a joke. There's no screw going into the barrel. Good one, you got me. I dug out my 35 Remington.
Here's pictures. [Linked Image]

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]j

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I admit you had me going there. I even dug out my 35 Remington. Good joke. As you already knew the screw does not go into the barrel. Haha. The joke was on me.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
I admit you had me going there. I even dug out my 35 Remington. Good joke. As you already knew the screw does not go into the barrel. Haha. The joke was on me.
Every damn one I've ever seen, including every one of the several 336's and 3 1894's I've owned it goes through into the barrel, just exactly like a model 94 Winchester. I don't know WTF you did to yours.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought them that way. AND there's no hole in the barrel and I believe you are pulling my leg. The last 35 Rem didn't have one either. Same with my 30-30.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bugger - Blackheart doesn't know what he's talking about - I have three 336's and none of them have a screw that keeps the mag cap on that goes into the barrel. Mine look exactly like yours.

Granted - the pin/screw that goes into the barrel band DOES go through a notch in the barrel, but even it doesn't screw into the barrel....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The one I have here was made in 1992 and it definitely does go through and into a hole in the barrel. I checked the two my brother owns the other day and they both go through too. Both of his are also JM guns produced in the 90's. I made a point of checking them just because of this discussion. None of the screws are THREADED into the barrel and I never said they were. They are a two diameter screw that threads into the magazine plug and have an unthreaded section that sticks through into a hole in the underside of the barrel. Just like the Winchester 94's mag plug screws.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mine are late 70's/early 80's....never seen the screw actually thread into the barrel.....

The screw is actually a safety device, if a round goes of in the mag tube, the cap is supposed to come off easily, releasing the pressure rapidly. Threading into the barrel would make it much harder to come off in the event of a round going off, defeating the safety that was designed into it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Safety device my azz. I have two Winchester 94's here, one from 1949 and one from 1979 and both use the same type of screw my Marlin has. They all go through the mag tube plug and into an UNTHREADED hole in the underside of the barrel. I guess John Browning and Winchester didn't think of this safety feature ? Beyond that, my Rossi 92 also uses the exact same setup. Guess they didn't get your safety feature memo either. In the unlikely event {actually unheard of so long as round/flat nosed bullets are used as has been advised by the arms and ammo makers for over a century now} that a round did go off in the mag tube, the plug coming out a little easier wouldn't help. The mag tube is far too thin to contain much pressure at all and they rupture easily. I've seen pictures of more than one rifle that did have rounds go off in the mag tube and they were split wide open. One local gunsmith here kept one on display in a glass counter display for years and that tube was split wide open too. He had a sign in there stating something to the effect that this is what can happen if you don't heed the warnings to use only round or flat nosed bullets in a tubular magazine.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,141 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,237
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.