Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I debated whether to post this "recommendation" here or on the "Handloading For Varmint Rifles" section.
Here we go here.
Today I finally got to shoot a new to me but used Remington XR-100 Rifle in caliber 204 Ruger.
I bought this Rifle about two months ago and mounted a Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 power) variable scope on it in Leupold mounts and rings.
The trigger on this Rifle is just splendid and it is the factory stock trigger.
It breaks crisply at 36 ounces and consistently there.
I am not sure if the previous owner adjusted it or not?
For those not familiar these XR-100 Rifles they were made by Remington for just a few years and came in just 4 calibers - 204 Ruger, 223 Remington, 22-250 Remington and a small run of Rifles in 308 Winchester.
The XR-100's are single shot solid receiver Rifles and all came with a laminated gray and black thumbhole stocks. The blued factory barrels are 26" long and are of Varmint weight.
I already own four other XR-100's and I needed this latest Rifle like I needed another hole in my head.
Still when I saw it and the asking price and the virtual mint condition of the Rifle and the bore - I could not resist.
Actually I bought it as a future gift for one of my three sons and a bit out of morbid curiosity - I wanted to see if it could possibly shoot as well as all my other XR-100's!
I have two other XR-100's in 204 Ruger besides this "new" one and I also have one in 223 Remington and one in 22-250 Remington as well.
So anyway this morning is dead calm and I have 20 fresh rounds of handloaded ammo and a few factory rounds for sight-in.
Off I go to my friends private range and for a change there is not a breath of wind.
I get the Rifle sighted in (on paper) with 2 factory rounds and then start to test my two different loads - one load used the Sierra 32 grain BlitzKings and the other used the wonderful Berger 35 grain Varmint bullets.
First 5 shot group with the Bergers there at 100 yards measured .439" in a nice round cluster.
I wait for the barrel to cool and fire 5 shots with the Sierra 32 grain bullets and to my amazement the group measured .334"!
Now this is with un-fireformed brass and the first days load developing and just a 16 power scope.
I was thrilled.
Now I decide to fire another group with the Sierra bullets after the barrel cooled and during my wait I notice the "air" is starting to move!
I fire the next five and the group measured .452"!
Again I am just thrilled with this performance.
Now an interruption occurs as the owner of the range showed up and wants to talk and then to take me for a ride in his new Polaris side by side Zephyr and scare me climbing steep slopes and going over bumpy terrain at Mach 2 - he did, and I didn't mind that but all the while I am noticing the wind is picking up steam.
Finally I get back to the shooting shack and to shooting my last five rounds.
Largest group of the day was the result at .702" for those five shots at 100 yards - I blame this on the wind and left over adrenalin!
Still I am more than happy with the "new" Rifle.
And I will keep it until I find a worthy son sometime in the future.
My point is if anyone finds a Remington XR-100 in GOOD condition I highly recommend they buy it!
These Rifles fit me to a "T" and their stocks are very conducive to field shooting of both Colony Varmints and Predators.
All five of my XR-100's shoot extremely well!
I have three friends with XR-100 Rifles and they also boast of the accuracy they obtain.
I wish Remington would not have discontinued this model.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah, I wish they had not also. I've only ever seen one and that was when they first came out. They were never common in my area. They seem a good home for some of the cartridges that don't magazine feed very well anyway.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,822
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.