Print Thread
Hop To
R
rylee1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am not a collector but a Long Long time ago maybe 20 or so years ago I spent way more money than I had to spend at the time on a Herron knife. I carried it for a while then lost it having lunch on a mountain in Utah. Spent the next day looking until I found that knife and it has not left the safe since. Here is that knife and Mr. Herron sure did make a fine knife[Linked Image][/URL[URL=http://s67.photobucket.com/user/rewilson59/media/IMG_0985%20copy_zps8fvvi7fy.jpg.html][Linked Image]

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
George Herron knives have a nice clean but unique and interesting appearance. I have copied one of his patterns a couple times and respect the void his passing left us.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
He was one of the first supermarkers. He got it down to a production line with multiple grinders to keep the process going. I laughed about one of the magazines who did an article on him showing him asleep in the hammock with his wife grinding a blade in the background!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Steve Timm(Dogzapper) can add some pics and prose to this thread should he wish.

PLEASE!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice knife man. Ive always wanted to own a Herron knife. Maybe one day I will spend the cash to buy one. I bet you were very relieved when you found it!!!

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The only thing finer than a Herron knife was the man himself. George was my friend, my very good friend, and a better man never lived.

The knives themselves are without peer. Period.

I'll post a few below.

God Bless,

Steve

[Linked Image]

Number Two ... The top one has scales from a Dall sheep horn I found in the Yukon. George gave this one-of-a-kind knife to me as a present.

[Linked Image]

My "Usin' Herron," a Number Two that I've used to gut, skin and butcher literally hundreds of big game animals. There simply is no finer knife.

[Linked Image]

George only published one catalogue and a single copy is worth at least as much as one of his knives.

[Linked Image]

A Herron folder with mastadon ivory inserts

[Linked Image]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

R
rylee1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Outstanding

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I do not tire of seeing those pictures........man-o-man!

My Geno Dennings are my treasures.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good stuff here guys. Thanks for showing it off.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I love seeing the quality of the Herron knives almost as much as I love hearing our Friend Steve tell the tales of his exploits associated with using them. I always enjoy the mention of one of George's knives because it inevitably draws Steve out to tell a few tales. I only wish I could have the opportunity to sit across a real campfire with Steve to hear his tales in person.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtnman1
I love seeing the quality of the Herron knives almost as much as I love hearing our Friend Steve tell the tales of his exploits associated with using them. I always enjoy the mention of one of George's knives because it inevitably draws Steve out to tell a few tales. I only wish I could have the opportunity to sit across a real campfire with Steve to hear his tales in person.

Yep, I'd like sharing a coffee over a campfire with both of you.

I guess the 24HourCampfire will have to do for now though! smile

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful blades. I own at least one of his pattern from another maker. Imitation is indeed the sincerest form of flattery.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mink
Beautiful blades. I own at least one of his pattern from another maker. Imitation is indeed the sincerest form of flattery.

Wayne Hendrix makes many of his patterns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Guys, I was kinda just reminiscing about the good times and the 24HCF. Sadly, I very seldom go onto the forum or post these days The stupid call-outs killed the fun for me, so I dropped out and really don't want care to return on a regular basis.

These days, I write my Catholic blog and volunteer many hours each week at our Catholic parish. That pretty much takes up all the spare time I have and, frankly, it's all my rapidly failing body can stand (my kidneys are dying and I am in Stage4 A).

Anyway, enough bullshit about me; here are a few kinda unsung Herron knives that I KNOW you will love.
[Linked Image]

George gave me the top one. It's an impala horn (I killed the ancient ram in war-torn Rhodesia and damned near lost my life that day). The knife didn't turn out quite as pretty as George had hoped, so it was a gift.

The second one down is absolutely fricking gorgeous. Finest stag and it fits my hand like a fine Parker shottygun (which I have a couple of). Love this knife and I've disassembled more than a few furry beasties with it.

The bottom two are pretty much the same, but in desert ironwood. George "felt" each of his knives and only stopped when the were perfect in his hand. Each turned out slightly differently, but were perfect in their own individual way.

Sonofabitch, I MISS GEORGE!!!

He was a buddy and I loved him like the father I really never had.

Anyway, I'm gone now and will catch you (way) later. Hint: I'm NOT on the 24HCF ... feel free to contact me at dogzapperATcomcastDOTnet.

May God Eternally bless all of you,

Steve

PS. One day, my tiny collection of Herrons will be sold piece-by-piece and a little part of my heart will go with each and every one of them.

And that is truly the way it should be. George wanted his knives to be hunted ... not, for heaven's sake, collected and put away in a dusty safe.

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dogzapper, the George Herron knife pictures you posted are very handsome plus look to me as if they'd work perfectly on all kinds of game out in the field.

I enjoyed seeing them.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks again Steve for showing those fine knives! realy love the dall sheep horn one! but all are Great! Im another one that would love to sit at a fire with Steve and Dale and others, just talking about Hunts, knives ect! Leanwolf could tell us about the Gun Smoke days!

Last edited by saddlering; 03/10/17.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
All those knives are beautiful. I just can't (still) get over the folder though........WOW.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlering
Thanks again Steve for showing those fine knives! realy love the dall sheep horn one! but all are Great! Im another one that would love to sit at a fire with Steve and Dale and others, just talking about Hunts, knives ect! Leanwolf could tell us about the Gun Smoke days!

Had a good time writing for Gunsmoke. Some really first rate people on the show and on the production team.

Not so much on some other shows for which I wrote. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Hello dogzapper,

Really great knives they seems to be! The design is about perfect for my taste and uses.
And I like your words and the feelings they reflect.
I am also Catholic, and I will pray for you and your health.

Best Wishes!

PH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

249 members (160user, 338rcm, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,744 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.