Print Thread
Hop To
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Had use for one the other day and couldn't find one. Tried hardware stores-found a cheap one and it broke almost immediately-auto parts stores, etc. Nothing. Finally made due with a heavy duty tie down ratchet, but thinking a good compact come along would be a good thing to have around. Suggestions appreciated.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How much do you want to spend? You can get a Harbor Freight version for cheap or you can get a Wyeth-Scott for more serious money (a lot more serious). It'll do the job where Harbor Freight won't. WYETH-SCOTT

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks and from your forum reps I trust both of your responses. Will start looking for something used, but will go new if I can't find before fall.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Check pawn shops. There is a monster Lug-All at one here in town for $50.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How much do you want to spend? You can get a Harbor Freight version for cheap or you can get a Wyeth-Scott for more serious money (a lot more serious). It'll do the job where Harbor Freight won't. WYETH-SCOTT

[Linked Image]

I have this in cast iron and steel cable... fantastic and very heavy. Get the alum version like Hunts if you can find one.

Grainger used to sell both versions.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Battue, don't go with one of those cheap azzed cable type come alongs. If you want a good sturdy brand, buy a Harrington. Here's a cute little 3/4 ton with a 20' chain. Should work pretty good for light duty work. I use the 3 ton Harringtons at work and have stood on them a time or three. Just about the only come along I trust:

3/4 ton harrington come along

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Battue, don't go with one of those cheap azzed cable type come alongs. If you want a good sturdy brand, buy a Harrington. Here's a cute little 3/4 ton with a 20' chain. Should work pretty good for light duty work. I use the 3 ton Harringtons at work and have stood on them a time or three. Just about the only come along I trust:

Nice. My grandpas construction business had similar ones named Tug-it that had chain and aluminum bodies. Maybe look for one of them.
We also had a roller chain version made by coffing that was good for engine work. Slow but steady.

The cable is a pain because I clean and oil it every time because its always wet and muddy when you use it...

Last edited by humdinger; 07/11/16.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a Dayton ratchet puller, Grainger # 4Z312, 1700 lb. single line, 3400 double line.
Used it for years for work lifting and moving motors, pumps, etc, and for play.
Has always worked well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Capstan winches & mule tape came up on another thread. I wonder how the 6000lb mule tape would work in a come-along. If you could get it fastened in well enough, you could put a lot more on the reel to get a lot longer pull. It's made for line pulling winches so I would think it would work great.

― George Orwell

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The cable is a pain because I clean and oil it every time because its always wet and muddy when you use it...

If it wasn't wet and muddy, you wouldn't need it to begin with! grin

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by baltz526
I have an older version of the rope puller. Mine came with only 20' of rope and it's a 1000 lb capacity. It's easy to overload one, though. I bent the handle on mine.

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.