U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
A major breakthrough in progress...

[Linked Image]

So my ally on this project has been D'Arcy Echols. He needed a lefty Legend McMillan stock blank for a client quicker than he could get it from McMillan, and so I traded him one in exchange for him duplicating a stock off my pattern. The unfortunate part of the deal for him (but the absolutely great part for me) is that I would take my pattern by and he would tell me what was not right yet. I would go home, fix whatever was deficient, and then return for another lesson in remedial stock building. He was kind enough to put up with maybe a half dozen of those visits. When he said it was ready to go, I took a blank over.

He got it rough cut while I was overseas, and offered me the chance to watch as he did the final shaping. He uses a Hoenig pantograph, which mounts the stock and pattern in rotating steadyrests to ensure that the stock is not deflected by the pressure of the cutter. The result is that he can cut to .003" over. It did take over three hours, and three different depths of cutting, and I'll bet he changed cutters 25 times to properly get into some corner of the stock.

I have used a number of semi-inlet blanks before, but never one cut this close. It greatly sped up my work. D'Arcy thinks he can inlet a stock off this pantograph in 3 hours, it took me almost 8, which might be a third of the time I have spent on others.

The wood is everything I might have hoped for--now I need to just take my time and not screw it up.

(I wet the stock with mineral spirits for the photos.)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That is a beautiful stock to say the least!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
looking great!

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Here is what I was referring to regarding the rotating steady rests in the Hoenig pantograph:

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Very nice. You got your money's worth on that trade! :-)

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Looking very nice!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That blank looks like the tree knew it was going to become a gunstock. The grain is just about perfect. I'll say you got a pretty good deal on the trade, a mini apprenticeship and a profiled blank too. What finish? Any alkanet oil? The color is so good already could be risky.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
I appreciate your comments. I am really pleased with the layout of the stock; I have not done enough projects from a blank to be able to confidently "see" the stock that is buried in the blank. Decisions about how to finish the stock are pending. Fortunately I have cut off pieces of the blank to practice with. I have not used alkanet oil before, so I might be asking you some questions.

By the way, you offered some important comments about the relative shapes of the cheekpiece and the shadowline. I have made some changes consistent with your advice, so look for that as I post more progress photos.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I could send you some alkanet. Better to make your own and do a big batch so you can play around with different dilutions of turpentine to oil. Once you have one you like mix plenty so you don't have to use a different batch on the same stock.

Best info is on the Double Gun forum. It is interesting stuff it is both a dye and a stain. It looks terrible at first and then when finished brings out the grain like nothing else. Go easy with a more diluted mix. You can add a little to each stage of the finishing to get deeper color.

You can get the raw alkanet root from herbal, candle and soap making places on line.

But go with whatever D'Arcy recommends.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That is a gorgeous stock. I also really like the barrel contour and wanted to ask you to share the details on it.

Thank you.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
IC B3

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
The barrel is a profile I developed, again influenced by Echols and the Burgess tradition. It is approximately a Winchester featherweight with a shank. Most factory barrels taper at .006"/in; this one tapers faster than that, which means it carries more diameter further forward, and is not as whippy as other barrels with the same muzzle diameter.

But I also like the aesthetics of the sharp corner where the shank breaks into the concave taper. I used the same profile on a 7mm Rem mag.
[Linked Image]

Brux turned it for me from a pattern I sent to them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you for the update, ...

this is one of the finer threads running on this website.

Kudos for keeping dreams and visions alive, Mate !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Woodworking books always say it is good to practice with a finish, even one you have used before, because it may interact in novel ways with any given piece of wood. Given that I am trying some new things on this stock, some experimentation was doubly called for.

[Linked Image]

This is two coats of some penetrating sealer, a black paste filler for the pores, one more coat of sealer to lock in the filler, then some hand rubbed oil coats. I put a little transparent red/brown dye in the sealer and oil, just to see what I would get.

Any thoughts?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Good grain flow through the wrist, love the dark grain too.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looking very nice!

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Looks great, nicely done.

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Time for an update--it continues to look like a rifle.

[Linked Image]

The gun spent about 6 weeks with Mike Scherz (Gila River Gun Works, Pocatello ID) getting some custom bases made. I think they look better than Talleys, and also have compensated for some unevenness in the action radius. He also needed to re-thread the rear screws to 8-40 because the existing 6-32 holes were mis-aligned.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Aside from that, most of my hours have been in polishing the metal and sanding/whiskering the stock--none of which is evident in photos, however.

But I am still a sucker for putting denatured alcohol on it to make sure the figure is still there...

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Looking great so far!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I always like your rifle posts... great job!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beautiful work. Thank you for all of the pictures.

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
184 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 25 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.