Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A week or two back, I got a message from Kevin Gibson that was "oh schit..." and then a weblink.

Well, obviously I had to check it out. Glad I did. The link was to an importer in Yankeeland that had just received a small batch of alloy frame FN HiPowers, and for a very good price. A quick call (and good thing it was quick because I get one of the last two), and it was on my way to my FFL.

It arrived holster worn, but in good condition otherwise. The two mags with it were numbered to the gun. No, not from the factory, but to the unit and officer designation from the Belgian PD that had traded these in. HP made in 1980, assigned to GV unit B, officer 550. Mags are stamped "B 550".

Several new grips were ordered to try them out. My Spegels that ride on the other HP didn't fit; the alloy frame is has slightly wider rails on the front of the grip by about 1/16", and I wasn't trimming down the Spegels. The Navidrex grips from Brownells were decent; better than the originals, but not to my liking. The are simply thin and flat with a "slick" checkering. The Mil-Tac grips are very nice and look fantastic, but again don't quite fit for the same reason as the Spegels. They are almost identical in profile and measurements to Spegels, and since Craig isn't making Delrins any more, and the Mil-Tacs are a VERY good G10 laminate with good, aggressive, but not uncomfortable grip they are a great alternative. I might keep these anyway, just in case. wink The VZ 320s are superb. Thinner than Spegels or Mil-Tacs, or originals, and with a flat-wedge taper and very good grip, they fit like they were made to and changed the feel of the HP from "good" to "THEY'RRRRRRRRRR GREAT!"

With that done, it was time for a range session. I pulled out the 9x19 stockpile, added some more to it, and headed to the range. Sixteen (yes, 16) different JSP or JHP rounds were tried, from the old stock Remington 95 grain JSP to 147 grain subsonics and LOTS in between (Hydra-Shoks, PDX, Critical Defense, EFMJ, StarFires, GoldDots, GoldenSabres, etc.) The HP fired all of these without a failure of any sort or any hiccups in addition to several hundred rounds of 115 FMJs (Remington and Speer). Everything worked, and worked well. Surprisingly, the 115s and 124s shot high (not bad, just a bit high) while the 147s were dead on and the 105 EFMJs (rebranded Federal "Guard Dogs") were also dead on. The 105s are the carry load for now, backed up by the Browning (Winchester) BPX 147s as they were the most accurate.

All up, with 31+1, the FN alloy frame HP weighs in at 31.7 oz. That's Glock 17/19 weight range with better than normal BHP handling.

Oh, and a nice surprise - whomever did the triggers on these in Europe did them quite nicely. With the mag disconnect still intact and functional, the trigger breaks very clean and crisp at about 5.5#. That'll do, Donkey... that'll do.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You lucky dog. I wish I had buddy's like that. Mine just want to borrow my stuff.

Last edited by BobWills; 07/18/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For any curious as to the ammo tested:

95 grain Rem/UMC JSP 9x19 (OLD stuff)
105 Federal "Guard Dog" EFMJ
115 Speer Blazer FMJ
115 Remington FMJ
115 Speer GoldDot
115 Remington JHP
115 Federal Personal Defense JHP
124 Federal Hydra-Shok
124 Federal HST
124 Speer GoldDot
124 Remington Golden Sabre
124 Remington Golden Sabre +P
124 SIG V-Star
124 PMC StarFire
147 Browning (Winchester) BPX
147 Federal Hydra-Shok
147 Winchester PDX
147 Remington SubSonic JHP

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Want to get rid of any of your spare Hi-Power grips?

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Navidrex already went back to Brownells. The VZs are on the alloy. I doubt you want the issued grips from either I have (cheap plastic and wood). Thus, I suspect you're inquiring about either the Spegels or the Mil-Tacs, correct?

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sweet, congrats on the new perforator 4. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I refer to LW Hi Powers as unobtanium; and now I finally have one too. I have a few projects ahead of this Hi Power, but it will be done up right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a very clean mk2 bhp that I can't bring myself to modify but about 2 years ago I scored a very holster worn mk2 for $350. It went to a local pistolsmith for a trigger polishing, bobbed the factory hammer, added xs tritiums and a set of vz slim pro g10's. Only other addition was it got sent out for the black T coating.

It's superbly accurate and reliable and is a favorite in my carry rotation.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 4ager
The Navidrex already went back to Brownells. The VZs are on the alloy. I doubt you want the issued grips from either I have (cheap plastic and wood). Thus, I suspect you're inquiring about either the Spegels or the Mil-Tacs, correct?

The Mil Tacs,. depending on which pattern..interest me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweet Sean, glad ya got it.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always been surprised the Hi-Power isn't more popular, especially for 1911 owners who want more mag capacity, and are going to the 9mm instead of .45. Similar manual of arms, but still a very usable grip.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You Suck laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I've always been surprised the Hi-Power isn't more popular, especially for 1911 owners who want more mag capacity, and are going to the 9mm instead of .45. Similar manual of arms, but still a very usable grip.
Browning doesn't put a whole lot of effort into marketing it. One of the big issues with the BHP is lack of further development of the product, because it's one of the least profitable pistols that FN makes and they're desperately trying to discontinue it's production. But foreign orders for replacement parts are just too lucrative so when you're making that many parts, including replacement frames and slides, you might as well just make the damn pistol. But believe me, just as soon as FN thinks they can dump the Hi Power it will be GONE.

It's really too bad because a well updated Hi Power would be absolutely wonderful. Imagine a standard production aluminum frame Hi Power with a standard beavertail, magazine safety moved from the trigger to the frame like the GP Target Hi Power, nice trigger out of the box, updated sights, and grips that don't try their best to ruin the amazing ergonomics of the Hi Power! I'd buy that pistol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a nice snag........congrats on a very cool, great gun.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So now that I've had this LW Hi Power for a couple of weeks, some observations unique to this version of the Hi Power.

Slide final polish is rather crude, lots of tool marks on the lightening cuts on the front of the slide, and the serrations on the rear of the slide.

Barrel cam in the frame - The frame barrel cam is not oval like most Hi Powers, it's round and a bit smaller than a normal barrel cam. I can only assume this is to help with the issue of barrel cam set-back, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how it helps.

Locking cam on barrel - The LW Hi Power uses the pre-WW II style locking cam, the rounded one. Not sure why as this was found to contribute to cracked or sheared cam lugs when oodles of rounds had been fired. Just like the pre-WWII guns, a modern style barrel will drop right in. But I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use a modern barrel. Just don't understand the return to the old style on this particular gun.

Barrel feed ramp - I have now see 3 of these barrels, and all 3 have a heat discoloration on the barrel extension toward the bottom of the feed ramp. The only thing I can think of is this is a spot hardening and they just didn't polish off the discoloration.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice write up and story, Sean. Congrats on a nice score!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Someday I'll find one ........great score.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I got a nice one awhile back. Great carry gun.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The insecure web "bullies/tough guys" gave KG a hard time but I liked his posts.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sounds like you boys lucked up!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 50 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.