Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never seen one of those, looks cool.

Lucky our future holds an old horse corral in it, should provide some room without mice issues(plural for moose right... LOL)

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Grow what u can, can them pack the rest in your cellar and buy what you can afford

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Great summer here is the latest on hay bale garden.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kk alaska; 07/12/16.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s gathering time again!

[Linked Image]

Salmonberries are on... a bit early this summer. (With enough vitamin C to make an orange blush we are told.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
It’s gathering time again!

[Linked Image]

Salmonberries are on... a bit early this summer. (With enough vitamin C to make an orange blush we are told.)

Single berry on the end of the main stem? Not a bush with multiple berries? That is what it looks like from the photo and it is the more common northerly berry. If so, that is a cloudberry.

They are better than most salmonberries.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
‘Cloudberry’ sounds so...............DSMF? grin I realize that is another name for them, kind of like Washington tells us that ‘Eskimo’ is not a PC term that should be used anymore, but nobody ever uses that name and most folks who pick them by the gallon don’t even know the term ‘cloudberry’. (And why should they not be salmonberries? There is no other berry that so much resembles a cluster of salmon eggs that I am aware of.)

Next, I suppose you’re going to tell me our ‘blackberries’ are ‘crowberries’ or some such? grin (BTW, what are crows anyway? Can a raven be killed legally if we call them crows? crazy )

wink

Took one elderly lady along last night to a little, well-known berry island 13 miles offshore last night, along with family and other friends. It was the first time for her in her 7 decades of life. Got back just before 2:00 AM; (no wonder it was looking like it wanted to get dark when we got back. smile ) I doubt our family will make a 10 gallon goal, but we’ve got over 5 now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cloudberries and salmonberries are not the same. They taste different and come from different bushes entirely. I was corrected by an elderly lady way back in the '70s. I am not sure which village she was from... but well north.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two different berries, same family, same colloquial name. Call them cloudberries in any rural area I am familiar with and you’ll get that “you must be a DSMF” look - or they’ll simply have no idea what you’re talking about. Cloudberry is not a name often used in Alaska and is probably best known to urban dwellers, if even them. You can call them whatever you like, but they’re known as salmonberries all over the western tundra.

Now, let’s talk about blackberry akutaq. grin (Yeah, I thought I was smart one time in pointing out that tundra blackberries - crowberries to some- are not even related to the rosacea family version. eek )

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, many do not know rasp/black/salmon-berries are roses...

and many do not know the facts about deer eating roses...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You two are a huge sources of useless knowledge. LOL. ( I hope you see the smiley intent there...)

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m fine with useless, just don’t call me Ulysses ...... eek grin

I must make one more comment about our berries; our’s, in fact, are superior if you believe heterosexual foods are ‘more better’. Those other kind, the bush variety, they’re kind of into bisexual stuff. eek

[Linked Image]

As for other ‘vegetables’ out in the boonies, ask some of the older people about plants and you’ll likely get a whole encyclopedia of info about which plants, when, and how to procure and process them. Readily available potatoes, carrots, apples, onions, and a few other things in many local stores - if you’re willing to pay the prices- has made gathering a ‘lesser’ activity for many of the younger generations.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats cool. Just shredded on by gallons and gallons of grapes today again. Makes me wonder if life would ever slow enough to be able to use whats out there.

In the meantime the deer love the grapes anyway.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Do what every pothead does. An indoor grow room. Hydroponic or raised beds, heated concrete floor, skylights or LED grow lights on a timer to conserve electricity and some fertilizer. Basically a modified green house for Alaska.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

603 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,399
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.