Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Pulled hunting Bullets like the fusions from fed. What has been ur experience with them? Ive read some reports of no where near as accurate to no difference. I've found some tipped trophy bonded bullets and fusions id like to try but hate to waste the money on the quantity if they aren't accurate.

Thanks Roy

HR IC

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If the factory loads are accurate enough, why are you pulling the bullets?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
That's a good question and I don't know the answer but will tell you what I do. I don't even shoot the bullets I pull myself. With all the time I spend focused on all the other parts of reloading, with accuracy being the end goal, I don't want to deal with issues that could be introduced by pulled bullets.

Are there issues? I have no idea, but others with more knowledge of the subject may say they are fine. Certainly possible I just imagine they could introduce accuracy issues.

I don't think there is any adverse effect on the terminal ballistics or when working uploads for speed/pressure testing but will stand corrected if needed.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Let me rephrase. These r pulled fed factory bullets being sold from 2 different places not from me. That is why I was asking. I've done tons of reloading but never once pulled bullets.

Roy

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RTSJ
Let me rephrase. These r pulled fed factory bullets being sold from 2 different places not from me. That is why I was asking. I've done tons of reloading but never once pulled bullets.

Roy

If they are a good bullet to start with, pulled hunting bullets are just fine. I also shoot pull down powder, and once fired brass. However I avoid once fired primers.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find impact hammer pulled bullets don't seem to shoot as accurate. Groups tend to blow out by around 50% give or take.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My somewhat fussy 7x57 shoots 160 gr "Old Style " trophy bondeds fine. 1-1.5" at 100. they were pulled from federal factory 7mm weatherby ammo and my brother used very little care when he was pulling them. He wanted the cases and dinged up most of the noses. but they will still kill an elk. Someday!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can someone explain how these companies that sell pulled bullets make money?

Why are the bullets pulled? Who pulls them? What happens to the other components?

And how can you make money using expensive factory ammo as your raw material and them selling the bullets for less than the cost of new bullets from Sierra, Speer, etc?

Last edited by southtexas; 07/18/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There was a guy at Wanenmachers Tulsa Arms show selling gobs of em, 243, 270, 7mm and 30. He said they were pulled by Federal due finding an issue with a run of powder they'd used in those. Don't know the validity but sounds like a reasonable reason.

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I doubt you'll ever notice the difference. You probably won't believe it but, I was a witness to it.
I have a friend who use to buy surplus from the government and he bought several barrels of p/d 5.56 bullets. These had been demilled by running them through teethed rollers and they looked horrible. He ran them through a 5.56 carbide bullet die to round them back out....just to see. Then loaded 25 rounds and went to the range....just to see. I told him he was wasting powder and primers and I'd never shoot them in a gun I liked. Well, it turned out the smallest 5 shot group was an inch while the largest was a little over 2". Impressed me!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Can't generalize about all pulled bullets. I have used surplus pulled bullets for casual shooting and they were a great deal. I would order some and test them out and if good then stock up. Worst case is you might want to do some sorting or at least inspection before using them to hunt. If from a creditable source that would allow you to return them if not satisfied then hard to go wrong.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
So you fellas don't think these will shoot ok?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I bought 2k for plinker rounds, but they look like new bullets after 30min in SS media. I've bought a bunch of demilled brass as well and it's as good as virgin.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
How do they air pull bullets

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Impact pulled don't shoot as accurate. But I already said that.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just jam a cotton ball in the bottom of the impact puller. The bullet hitting the end is what dents them up. If there is a cushion, they will look like new, no matter what tips they have.

And, if you have old dull, tarnished ones, an hour or two in a stainless tumbler gets them brand new. And it does no harm to plastic or lead tips. Also, a great way to remove moly from bullets if you don't want it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cotton ball, wad of bubble wrap, used rubber ear plug all will protect the bullet pulled in a kinetic (hammer) puller.

The pulls I've had I've never noticed a difference in accuracy or effect on paper or game. I haven't purchased and pull-downs though so can't speak to all

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RTSJ
Pulled hunting Bullets like the fusions from fed. What has been ur experience with them? Ive read some reports of no where near as accurate to no difference. I've found some tipped trophy bonded bullets and fusions id like to try but hate to waste the money on the quantity if they aren't accurate.

Thanks Roy

You'll have no issues.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Impact-pulled bullets can shoot weird even with something soft in the bottom of the puller to keep them from being deformed. Before they even leave the case, the cores of cup-and-core bullets can be loosened slightly. You'll never notice any difference in appearance, but some will be unbalanced.

This can't happen to bonded or mono bullets, but it definitely does to cup-and-cores--and you can't tell from looking at them which ones are loose.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes MD, I had a bunch of different cup and core ammo, some given to me, and impact pulled the bullets. 270cal, 30cal, 22 and 25cal. Some 45-70 as well.

They were fine for shooting pigs at moderate range and practicing, but 0.75moa guns suddenly became 1-2moa guns with the pulled bullets.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by southtexas
Can someone explain how these companies that sell pulled bullets make money?

Why are the bullets pulled? Who pulls them? What happens to the other components?

And how can you make money using expensive factory ammo as your raw material and them selling the bullets for less than the cost of new bullets from Sierra, Speer, etc?

I know of an on line outfit that sells the bullets and prim ed/unprimed brass. Some pretty good deals in my mind.

Their powder seems pretty high to me though.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
150 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 673, 18 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.