Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Is there a more concrete definition of "guiding" in Alaska's law books?

Say someone moves up there, from Texas...Several years later he invites an old friend up there to hunt caribou with him. The old friends also plan a deer hunt together back in Texas at a spot that the Texas resident has hunted, but the Alaskan transplant has not.

No money is exchanged...just two old friends going on two hunting trips together. Would that situation necissairly be considered guiding by Alaska laws?

No, that example would not be twisted to guiding. Advertising a swap hunt on an internet forum would clearly be guiding by their definitions though. It all comes down to whether one is reciprocating a nonresident's action by providing hunting/guiding services. Old friendships show you would likely be hunting together anyway.

This is the state that once wrote a law that as a transporter I was not allowed to tell people anything about the game they were hunting! I could not legally point out a buck on a beach or even allow someone to look through my binocular! Those laws did not last long...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
OK, thanks. I figured there had to be more leeway for the example I gave.

People say the feds are screwed up...but even a conservative state like AK has some ridiculous state laws, and similar levels of corruption.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Say someone moves up there, from Texas...Several years later he invites an old friend up there to hunt caribou with him. The old friends also plan a deer hunt together back in Texas at a spot that the Texas resident has hunted, but the Alaskan transplant has not.

No money is exchanged...just two old friends going on two hunting trips together. Would that situation necissairly be considered guiding by Alaska laws?

No, that example would not be twisted to guiding.

Funny, that's just about the same situation I described earlier. The situation you said would "ABSOLUTELY" be considered guiding in Alaska.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This is the state that once wrote a law that as a transporter I was not allowed to tell people anything about the game they were hunting! I could not legally point out a buck on a beach or even allow someone to look through my binocular! Those laws did not last long...

The first time I went to Alaska the pilot told us he could point out any animals he might see as we flew to where we were headed. He said it was against the law since he was not a guide.

You would think the next pilot was piloting a pleasure cruise. He turned the plane around every time he saw anything he thought we might like to see or if one of us saw something he didn't get to see.

This was during the same three week time period.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole

Funny, that's just about the same situation I described earlier. The situation you said would "ABSOLUTELY" be considered guiding in Alaska.

Cognitive skills are a gift! Your inability to see the difference is telling.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ringman

The first time I went to Alaska the pilot told us he could point out any animals he might see as we flew to where we were headed. He said it was against the law since he was not a guide.

You would think the next pilot was piloting a pleasure cruise. He turned the plane around every time he saw anything he thought we might like to see or if one of us saw something he didn't get to see.

This was during the same three week time period.

Many realized how twisted the law was... also, on the way out you are no longer hunting...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sitka deer,

Many realized how twisted the law was... also, on the way out you are no longer hunting...

It was a different company on the second trip. The guy was like a tour guide going in and coming out. We flew with him three times.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Bullish**. You read into my post what you wanted to. I didn't give enough detail for anyone to know the relationship between myself and the other hunter.

I will now. He's a friend, and neither hunt is conditional upon the other. And yes, I know that you couldn't discern that from my post.

Which is my point, moron.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Bullish**. You read into my post what you wanted to. I didn't give enough detail for anyone to know the relationship between myself and the other hunter.

I will now. He's a friend, and neither hunt is conditional upon the other. And yes, I know that you couldn't discern that from my post.

Which is my point, moron.

Sadly for you, these are the posts that say the most...

"Originally Posted By Sitka deer
Originally Posted By smokepole
I'm pretty sure that if I invite a guy from back east out here to go on an elk hunt with me, and he lets me hunt whitetails on his place back there, neither one of us is "in the business."

That depends entirely on how your state regulates such things. In AK it would ABSOLUTELY be considered guiding.

I'm sure it would, if either one of us was stupid enough to discuss such things with F&G."

What part of your post do you think does not suggest you are saying to ignore the law?

My last comment here, you are obviously unaware how stupid you look...

Last edited by Sitka deer; 08/16/16. Reason: typo "of" was "do"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"Originally Posted By Sitka deer
Originally Posted By smokepole
I'm pretty sure that if I invite a guy from back east out here to go on an elk hunt with me, and he lets me hunt whitetails on his place back there, neither one of us is "in the business."

That depends entirely on how your state regulates such things. In AK it would ABSOLUTELY be considered guiding.

I'm sure it would, if either one of us was stupid enough to discuss such things with F&G."

What part of your post do you think does not suggest you are saying to ignore the law?

My last comment here, you are obviously unaware how stupid you look...

You're obviously unaware that I don't live in Alaska and nothing in my post had anything to do with Alaska. I don't believe the OP mentioned Alaska either. I could never break Alaska's game laws by hosting another hunter there because I don't live there and never will. So I will never find myself in that situation, and am not advocating that others break that law.

Do you see how that works? I can draw a picture if you'd like.

Alaska (and you) are not the center of the universe.

My comment was on how ridiculous the law is. And how unlikely it would be that someone would actually volunteer information to implicate himself in an act that may not have even taken place yet, in another jurisdiction thousands of miles away.

Do you understand that concept?

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Alaska (and you) are not the center of the universe.

Now that's just a damn lie! Alaska is the center of the universe, its been scientifically proven.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, maybe for salmon and white rams. Speaking of which, did you get yours yet?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Leaving tomorrow...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,165
Posts18,465,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.