Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Told him you were on a beer run! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I have yet to see any deer in that area,elk,antelope and a few coyotes is all I've seen there

I did see a few 13 lined ground squirrels and what I thought were prairie dogs, but I don't think that counts.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/18/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Maybe! laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
PS at this point in your gun quest... find a used but good shape Whelen the year Rem made them on an annual run and go with it. As you can, put a good stock on it, in the meantime seal the wood one and bed it. Then add the stock. then ad a top line barrel.

CRF in my books is over rated, but its my choice....

I realize there's a great many who believe CRF is overrated, but I'm really not interested the arguments in favor of one over the other. CRF is my choice as well, which is why I'm not interested in a Rem 700. I'd rather wait until I find what I'm looking for, as I'm not in a hurry.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats cool on the CRF. I was just suggesting a cheaper? way to get 35 whelen to start wiht, then take your time on building what you want.

I've never had a failure in a non CRF, and I've shot them in rapid fire a LOT in matches over many years... if it was going to happen, I've shot a bolt 700 enough to have had it happen.

BUt its your choice.

RE the cops, it is what it is. But around here anyway, i'm not going to get arrested for giving up my rights and telling em I was on the way to a fire call or to Danny's for bbq or to the deer lease... I do realize different areas are different ways though.

RE the 5 other cars, as much as cops have been getting shot lately and your vehicle fitting the description perfectly, I'd have done the same, PLUS you have no clue that your vehicle didn't fit a violent crime just committed.

I still give the guys in blue a bit of faith and credit. I hate to see it such that by the abuse of a very few LEO folks, that the whole batch gets painted wiht a brush.

nope, I'm not LEO and hopefully never am.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff: I agree that a push feed action can be every bit as reliable as a CRF and I appreciate your suggestion regarding the 700. In fact, I considered a Weatherby Accumark several years ago, but I was unimpressed with the abysmal metal to stock fitment on the ones I fondled about 5-6 years ago, which I thought was very odd for a company famous for their quality. What I appreciate most in a CRF is the mechanical advantage of the massive extractor claw. I’m just at a point in my life when I’d rather wait a bit to find what I’m looking for rather than settle for something less.

Regarding law enforcement, I agree with everything you said, but by the same token if you answer that you are ‘coming from’ Danny’s BBQ, you have no idea that a crime wasn’t just committed there by someone with a vehicle matching yours. My point is that any officer must have probable cause and their questions are designed to give them just that. In the example of an individual pulled over for exceeding the speed limit by 8 or 10 MPH such questions are not germane to the situation and again are designed to give the officer probable cause.

I also agree that abuse by a few has resulted in a bad name in general for Law Enforcement, and I too want to give credit where credit is due. Like most Americans (I hope) I was disgusted and appalled with the recent events in my hometown of Dallas. Another part of the problem is that the Pant-Load-in-Chief has created an atmosphere where we are more divided as a Nation than we have been (arguably) since the Civil War. Instead of using his position as POTUS to bring Americans together as a nation with common beliefs, goals, morals and values, the Unicorn King has done just the opposite. His admin., would rather fabricate lies and blame the availability of firearms, “radical right wingers,” racism, income inequality, ad nauseum for the climate of distrust and hatred we are seeing today, rather than recognizing and addressing the issues. Add to this the reality that the working middle class has been hit hard and there simply aren’t any (or very few) in these small towns and law enforcement is tasked with revenue generation, first and foremost.

Yep, law enforcement is a tough, dangerous and sometimes thankless job, but I think a lot of these guys have no business being in law enforcement.

- Kevin

- Del Gue
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I can guarantee no crimes at Danny's bbq... cause its our best friends house. LOL.

I hear ya though. but I could care less if they arrested me in a similar vehicle, it'll sort itself out.

Actually thats one joy of rural, they wouldn't arrest me cause we know each other pretty dang well.

To the point I have to watch the local LEO one of them likes to chicken swerve at me. LOL.

The supposed commander in chief really is separating the country. I"ve gone back and talked with quite a few locals that recall the 60s issues. They claim this time it looks to end far worse than the riots and deaths back then. And sometime it eventually has to get that way. I really wished it was after we were gone.... but it will be what it is. And we'll deal with it as we need to.
But its a total shame that the leader of this country is at fault. And as a result has made folks like you somewhat leery of LEO.

That said, I've called in before once on a state trooper, to dispatch after he released me, to tell them that my wife was follwoing and just confirmed we had both vehicles on cruise, and she verified that I was 4-6 over... not whatever stupid speed he claimed when he pulled me over... I don't think that was appreciated by he got my point, either his chit was off, or he lied to me. Of course it didn't hurt that he recognized me once he got to the window, in one of moms cars that could easily be a drug running car...Don't tell me you are letting me go even though I was almost 20 over, when I was 5 give or take... write me a ticket. I"m good with it. I'd rather take the 5 over ticket than the arrogance of releasing me from a false speed. But I'm rambling again.

I can only imagine sometimes how things go down in a city(perish the thought) where folks don't know each other, especially in this racially charged time...

Re rifle, it truly is your gig. And if you are picky on both fit and looks and function its going to cost you a bit. Hence the suggestion, grab a used 35 whelen right now.... and then it bides you years if need be, to get to the right one... But I promise, last time I"ll pester ya about that part. Used I'm talking.... but then I have not priced used whelens....

When is graduation? Spring 2017

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff: Regarding the Whelen, the one I have my eye on right now, other than it being an AI, is very close to what I'm looking for. + it's built on a 1909 Argentine, which IMO are incredible actions. The ones I've handled are very precise and smooth. When the time comes, I am confident I'll find a great rifle.

Graduation is whenever I finish my Thesis. I've got a few things going in the lab and I've got about 30 pages written, so I'll finish up this semester, which starts in late August.

I hear ya' on the 700.

- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Jeff: Regarding the Whelen, the one I have my eye on right now, other than it being an AI, is very close to what I'm looking for. + it's built on a 1909 Argentine, which IMO are incredible actions. The ones I've handled are very precise and smooth. When the time comes, I am confident I'll find a great rifle.

Graduation is whenever I finish my Thesis. I've got a few things going in the lab and I've got about 30 pages written, so I'll finish up this semester, which starts in late August.

I hear ya' on the 700.

Which Whelen AI is it? You will notice their are several common varieties of Improved Whelens.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sitka: I wasn't aware that there were several varieties of the Whelen A.I. The posting is for a ".35 Whalen [sic] Improved, 40 degrees."

- Del Gue
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Look up the Brown Whelen, the standard AI, the 350 Elliott, and others as they pop up in your searches.

The standard Whelen has the same 17 1/2 degree shoulder as the parent 06. There are at least three different shoulder angles and body tapers.

The narrow shoulders of the standard Whelen case cause issues with headspace in the original and the improved versions give you positive headspacing and extended case life.

IIRC the standard AI has a 35 degree shoulder and the Brown Whelen 40.

Always chamber cast a Whelen before shooting it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sitka: Good to know, thanks. I've read about headspace issues with the standard Whelen. I didn't realize the improved version(s) resolved the headspace issues. Most of what I've read indicated that the A.I. version did not offer any real improvement in performance but there was no mention of the benefits the Improved versions had on headspacing.

It looks like the rifle I'm looking at is the Brown Whelen, but I'll look it up as you suggest.

Would forming brass via the "cornmeal method" be advisable rather than fire-forming standard .35W loads?

- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have fire-formed both ways and they both work well enough.

Headspace and case life are very real advantages.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

The narrow shoulders of the standard Whelen case cause issues with headspace in the original and the improved versions give you positive headspacing and extended case life.

IIRC the standard AI has a 35 degree shoulder and the Brown Whelen 40.

Headspace problems with the standard .35 Whelen? News to me. Folks make the .400 Whelen work without a hitch.

ACKLEY Improved cartridges are all 40 Deg. And I'm talking the ones P.O. designed himself, not others that folks just call AI.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Last night, I confirmed that the P.O. Ackley Improved .35 Whelen is indeed 40 deg. The Brown is 35 deg.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/19/16.

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I prefer commercial mauser actions like,FN,Mark X or the new Dumoulin Mauser. They need less gunsmithing and with the Dumoulin it is ready to go as it already has a Winchester style safety.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ken: if a nice custom has already been built on a 1909 Argentine and does't require any additional gunsmithing, do you still prefer the commercial Mauser actions - if so, why?

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yes,still prefer a commercial action,cause a rifle with a 1909 Argentine action is going to cost more IMO. The reason is all the action work that goes into a 1909. Change the safety,true the action,make it scope ready etc...

This Dumoulin is ready to go. Talley makes the mounts for them now.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/dumoulin-mauser-action.aspx

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Products/Scope-Ring-Bases-Peep-Sight/Dumoulin.aspx

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Last night, I confirmed that the P.O. Ackley Improved .35 Whelen is indeed 40 deg. The Brown is 35 deg.

I think I remember that the Brown Whelen also has the shoulder pushed forward. Can any of you confirm? It doesn't seem that the slight increase in case capacity would be enough to make it worthwhile.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering
I think I remember that the Brown Whelen also has the shoulder pushed forward. Can any of you confirm? It doesn't seem that the slight increase in case capacity would be enough to make it worthwhile.

Does this help?
.35 Brown-Whelen (P.O. Ackley Data)

The apparent consensus on the .35 Whelen Improved, seems to indicate (like you stated) that the slight increase in case capacity/performance is hardly worth it, but as Sitka deer stated, there is a benefit regarding potential headspace issues and case life, so from that standpoint, it could be considered worthwhile.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/19/16.

- Del Gue
Page 24 of 25 1 2 22 23 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

206 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 1minute, 300_savage, 29 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,054
Posts18,463,191
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.