Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
IMHO....

270 MT(140 AB's), 6x36 LR
(or a heavier contoured barrel and lose the bipod)

[Linked Image]

Pretty much anything 243-270 would be fine for me.

I like the way you think, as gay as that sounds. You're probably used to that though being the 270 shooter you are... If I ever come out of the closet, I plan on using this rifle:

[Linked Image] laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Huntz
After watching hunters kill Brown Bears in Russia with a SKS in 7.62X39. I would say a 30/30 could probably kill everything on planet earth if you put the bullet in the right place.

Yeah great....but would you really want to?

I'd quit hunting first.... grin

Who'd hunt the world with that? confused

I wouldn't want to. And I've taken a moose with the 30-30.

No problem with either. Carried 30-30 where the grizz roam for years in AK... never felt the need to say I was not safe. Could and did carry bigger at times, and do currently, but nothing huge...

SKS are some great rifles, generally a better choice than an AK, a decent round power wise, and with good bullets and accuracy, you can do a LOT with the round.

Hell I kill stuff out to 200 all the time with a 300/221 subsonic 194s.... only running around 1000 fps...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
98 Mauser chambered in 6.5x55

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This one rifle business is mostly an intellectual circle jerk(I assume we're talking one rifle for BG hunting....not competition,banging gongs,shooting three shot groups at 100 yards, repelling the next zombie invasion etc.).

I don't know, nor have I ever met, any serious BG hunters who only own one BG rifle. Most of them are more experienced or smarter than that.

Granzel Fitz?

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I contend that the only choice would be a 30-06 bolt action with a 2-1/2--8 variable powered scope and backup iron sights.

Unless, of course, a lot of varmint hunting were contemplated. In that case, it would be a .270.

We don't hear much talk about the so-called "all-around rifle" any more because, as JB has pointed out, nowadays we have more money and can afford rifles for different purposes. While having one rifle might dictate a 30-06, many who have several don't need a 30-06 or a .270.

And if you could only use one bullet in your 30-06? I would pick the 180 grain Nosler Partition, again not considering varmints.

My exact and one of my favorite setups -- exactly save the iron b/u sights

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have that rifle.

Left hand stainless Model 70 .30-06 in a McMillan Remington BDL pattern stock (McMillan won't do that inletting any more) wearing an older but dependable Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 in Talley one piece mounts.

For many years my only "big game" rifle was a LH Model 700 .30-06 with either a Leupold 4X or 3-9X40 scope in first Weaver and later Leupold mounts. Had a 10 year run of one shot kills on deer and elk with that rifle using standard Hornady 165 and 180 grain Interlocks, not to mention a slew of jackrabbits that blowed up real good with Sierra 125 Spitzers.

If I got in the way back machine and had to do it over again, I'd probably just stick with the LH Model 700 .30-06 in factory form. I'd run a couple screws through the bolt handle and maybe swap the trigger for a Timney but that's all I'd do to it. Would probably go with a fixed Leupold 6X in good ol' Weaver mounts as well until Talley started making their one piece bases, then switch to those.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
375 Ruger Guide Gun. Alaskan Arms quick detach low rings with a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm duplex. Shooting a Nosler 300gr. Accubond traveling 2590fps out of a 20" barrel. If I need a sledge hammer will shoot a Woodleigh 350gr. PP traveling at 2391fps.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If for what ever reason I was limited to one centerfire rifle, it would likely be this Husqvarna in 30/06. It has the versatility to handle just about any situation I might find my self in where I need a rifle, it shoots very well, carries like a dream and I just like the way it looks.

[Linked Image]

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice Husky.....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This one rifle business is mostly an intellectual circle jerk(I assume we're talking one rifle for BG hunting....not competition,banging gongs,shooting three shot groups at 100 yards, repelling the next zombie invasion etc.).

I don't know, nor have I ever met, any serious BG hunters who only own one BG rifle. Most of them are more experienced or smarter than that.

Granzel Fitz?

I didn't know Grantzel Fitz.... smile

And I am not sure he ever hunted Africa/Asia etc.

Im talking about guys in real time, today and over the course of the years that I've been involved in hunting and shooting.....I can't think of a single guy who hunted extensively and relied on one cartridge and rifle for everything.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bob, you were right the first time. Its mental masturbation. Which is why I went right to the Rigby.....as long as you're fantasizing it might as well be Elle McPherson as Rosie Odonnell!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mathsr
If for what ever reason I was limited to one centerfire rifle, it would likely be this Husqvarna in 30/06. It has the versatility to handle just about any situation I might find my self in where I need a rifle, it shoots very well, carries like a dream and I just like the way it looks.

[Linked Image]

That's a beauty, I'd vote for that one..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Bob, you were right the first time. Its mental masturbation. Which is why I went right to the Rigby.....as long as you're fantasizing it might as well be Elle McPherson as Rosie Odonnell!

Ingwe can't argue with that choice. i almost bought one yesterday but got slow on the draw. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I seriously wonder if these kinds of threads are IQ tests. Who even ponders such absurdities? laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not many real "all around" hunters. smile On this continent likely you guys i Alaska or Canada qualify because you have bigger animals,some are gnarly.

If I were younger, traveled the world for BG animals on a few continents and never knew what I was going to encounter, my light rifle would probably be a 300 magnum of some sort.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I believe that for what I do and what I want to do, I could get along nicely with my Sako AII in 308.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lack of Tikka fans?
Though if the question is:

If I could only buy one MORE rifle smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always found these type questions/post interesting as I get to see some insight on what people would chose.

"Joe average" I would think most likely hunts deer and perhaps hogs now days (dependent on his location)as their big game. More than likely, he's not a hand loader nor likely to travel to hunt different states for different big game.

From working at big box gun store for about a year while under employed, they're looking to buy the cheapest rifles they can find, eg Savage Axis, etc. but have several of these cheap(er) deer rifle. They'll buy the cheapest ammo they can find, usually Rem Core-lockts or Win power points but only when they're on sale right before hunting season. One box usually last them a few years.

Compared to most here on the 'Campfire, where I consider most here to rifle & firearm loonies on the opposite end of the spectrum. Meant in good way smile

It's interesting to see their difference and opinions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could be. Or it could be that some have a better grasp on diminishing returns than others. Or that lots of other things matter more than the choice of rifle. A fella with 20 rifles can justify everyone of them, just as the fella that only has one could.

The take away from 95% of the threads is that if you put a bunch of dicks in a room, they'll argue over anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hotload
Old Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 , Leupold VarX 3-9x40 , backup iron sights big green put on the rifle.

I could get along very nicely with one of those myself.

Sometimes you just get lucky cool Over 30+ years the accuracy of my Rem 700 has always been top drawer.
I've never had any trouble with the rifle. Many men on the 24CF say the older Remington 700s are better
than the new ones. Maybe so.

Last edited by Hotload; 07/19/16.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.