Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Looking at an older Gen2 gun yesterday and comparing to a gen 4, other than some grip texturing I can see no major differences in the guns, they sure do not seem to have made any mechanism changes.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Looking at an older Gen2 gun yesterday and comparing to a gen 4, other than some grip texturing I can see no major differences in the guns, they sure do not seem to have made any mechanism changes.
Grip is different. Mag release is different. Recoil spring system is different. I wish they had never added the finger groves. Completely unneeded. Anyone who wanted finger grooves could have purchased them from Hogue.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I looked at a Gen 2 Model 20 with an extra Lone Wolf 6" barrel yesterday. Made me want it really bad.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Gen 4 slide finish texture is different than Gen 2's. That started with Gen 3's.
Gen 4 offers modular backstraps for changing grip.
Finger grooves in the frame started at Gen 2.5/3.
The double spring captive recoil spring system came over from the sub-compacts design.

Last edited by WTM45; 07/18/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't remember all the specifics, but for a serious defensive pistol, I wouldn't recommend a 1st or 2nd generation Glock.

Around 1991-92 Glock came out with the "6 part upgrade"; which should have been a recall, because Glocks were very problematic until this upgrade happened.

Extractor
Spring-loaded bearing
Firing pin safety and spring
Firing Pin
Striker
Trigger Bar

Anyone who knows anything about Glocks can tell you these parts comprise the heart of the Glock, so that was a major freaking upgrade. It also means that the gun in 1st & 2nd Gen was fundamentally flawed.

When Glocks started turning up in IPSC competition in the late '80's & early '90's, I've never seen a firearm fail as much (although it was rare to see a G17 fail).

Even after the 6 part upgrade, the next step is when Glock was trying to become the new pistol for the Secret Service and it failed the "Frisbee" test. Simulating an agent running and taking a face plant, the pistol was thrown like a Frisbee onto concrete, and the Glock's slide consistently popped off the frame.

By Gen3, all of these issues were corrected and the Glock was an EXTREMELY well made, and reliable pistol.

So while the 1st & 2nd gens are interesting to shoot and collect, it wouldn't be my choice for a serious defensive handgun.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'll take every 1st gen you don't want.

Make that every 1st and 2nd gen.

Last edited by WTM45; 07/19/16.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WTM45
I'll take every 1st gen you don't want.

Make that every 1st and 2nd gen.
I had two Gen IIs back in the early 1990s. Wish I had kept them. At least the 19.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I think you are referring to some of the very first Gen1 guns, based on your comment I called Glock and the technician said zero internal differences between any Gen2 and Gen4 gun, grip frame differences are the only differences.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gen 4's have a double recoil spring (internal part) and a different mag release.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My Glocks are all Gen2. The only thing they are lacking is the light mounting grooves.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Gen 2 guns were produced up until late 1997. To me, that is not "old." Was shooting Gen 1's in 1988, and have owned MANY of various models ever since.

The third pin was found in Gen 2 .40 S&W guns, and that third pin became standard on all models with Gen 3. That is a good feature, but nothing to be overly concerned about in Gen 2 9mm models.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you are referring to some of the very first Gen1 guns, based on your comment I called Glock and the technician said zero internal differences between any Gen2 and Gen4 gun, grip frame differences are the only differences.
The Gen1's were the ones that had the 6 part upgrade. Frame rails...there were 3 different frame rails on the Gen1's, and the last style on Gen2's and later; so you are correct.

Apologies, my memory failed me; I thought the 6 part upgrade came with the Gen2's, but it was Gen1's.

http://reducerecoil.com/2015/03/difference-between-glock-gen1-glock-gen2-glock-gen3-glock-gen4/

Last edited by GunGeek; 07/20/16.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

The technician was wrong then; there are a several internal differences, and at least 4 parts offhand that are not interchangeable. Do you want someone to list them?

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering

The technician was wrong then; there are a several internal differences, and at least 4 parts offhand that are not interchangeable. Do you want someone to list them?

Also more use of MIM, including the extractor, locking block, and striker. I lost count of different style magazines at nine for the G17.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I know the recoil springs are different and that the magazine release is different, however "the firing mechanism" was said to be the same. Can someone cite their source regards what part of a Gen 2 firing mechanism is different than the gen 4?

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Yondering, I am inclined to ask you to list them, it would not be the first time a technician was wrong at a vendor. That said would you buy a Gen 2 glock for $350 over a new Gen 4 for $560 plus tax? If there is a major plus for the Gen 4 I would like to understand it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yondering, I am inclined to ask you to list them, it would not be the first time a technician was wrong at a vendor. That said would you buy a Gen 2 glock for $350 over a new Gen 4 for $560 plus tax? If there is a major plus for the Gen 4 I would like to understand it.
Only in the "feel" of the gun.

The Gen4 dual captive recoil springs was touted as reducing recoil, and increasing the lifespan of their pistols. I will say, it will do that, but potentially at the cost of reliability. The first Gen4's were way over-spung and reliability suffered greatly. They're fine for NATO or +P loads, but over-sprung for standard pressure.

The REAL reason Glock went to the dual springs is to increase the lifespan of their slides. If you're shooting 9mm NATO, .40 or .357 Sig, then you WILL eventually break a Glock slide (and pretty much anyone elses slide).

If you plan on using NATO pressure 9mm, then the dual spring is just fine. But if you want to practice with standard pressure 9mm, then pick up the standard Gen1-3 9mm spring for whatever model you have.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Personally, I'd take the Gen4 every time. For the most part the changes are all improvements. Some guys still like to bring up the reliability issues of early gen4 guns, but that doesn't mean much; most products tend to have issues with early samples, and we aren't in that time frame any more on these.

Some of the different parts:

- Recoil spring
- Barrel (larger cutout for recoil spring)
- Ejector housing (different shape/angle for smaller gen4 grip)
- Mag release
- Locking block material/manufacturing.

I don't remember if the 2 pin to 3 pin change was gen 1 to gen 2, or gen 2.5?

Along with the different ejector housing, Glock installs a different connector in the gen4 to account for the different angle. Obviously the connector is interchangeable with older guns, but is still another different part from the factory.

The internal function is still the same, even though some parts have changed; maybe that's what the tech was trying to say.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by GunGeek

If you plan on using NATO pressure 9mm, then the dual spring is just fine. But if you want to practice with standard pressure 9mm, then pick up the standard Gen1-3 9mm spring for whatever model you have.

Who told you that? Sounds like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
so that dude that posts on AR15 "Henderson Defense" i think its a shooting range in Las Vegas, his posts are pretty interesting, he has pictures of cracked slides from Gen 3 and Gen 4 9mm's, he says they had well over 100,000 rounds shot. I don't think I will be able to break a glock slide, but its interesting that both the Gen3 and Gen 4 broke in the same place. Thus I suspect the Gen4 spring was an "attempt" to fix a problem, but 100,000 rounds give me a break, I bet there is not a single Sig P228 or 229 out there with 10,000 on it not broken.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.