Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a rifle that was given to me after a relative's death. It was used to win many benchrest matches - hunting rifle class. It is a 722 with a 6mm Remington Douglas premium air gauge barrel. There is barrel erosion. I'd like to send this to a gunsmith to do this work - set barrel back 2" and rechamber. The barrel is the same diameter for about 2 1/2" ahead of recoil lug.
Anyone interested?
If I ship it across state lines do I need to have it shipped by a FFL holder?
Thanks.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Shipped by a FFL holder? Don't think so. Been about four years, but last time I shipped a barreled action to a gunsmith, I went to my local post office and sent it from Texas to a gunsmith in Oregon. Back then, I think I sent four rifles (just the barreled actions) to the Oregon gunsmith from Texas using my local post office.

Mind you, the postal clerk at the counter may reject your package if you tell her its a rifle/firearm. Happened to me about the 2nd time I shipped a rifle using my post office. But I protested and another postal employee with more experience, OK'd me shipping it. After that, I just told the clerk it was metal/machine parts to avoid a hassle.

By the way, the gunsmith I used was Mark Skaggs in Grants Falls or Pass Oregon, forget which. He has a website.....just google Mark Skaggs Gunsmithing and you'll find him. He did decent work for me and was reasonably price....but thats been a few years ago

Last edited by huffmanite; 07/15/16.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bugger, ship it to Dave at IT&D Custom Guns. He does great work and is very reasonable. Quick turnaround too. powdr

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by huffmanite

Mind you, the postal clerk at the counter may reject your package if you tell her its a rifle/firearm. Happened to me about the 2nd time I shipped a rifle using my post office. But I protested and another postal employee with more experience, OK'd me shipping it. After that, I just told the clerk it was metal/machine parts to avoid a hassle.

LOL, similar thing happened to me. I was trying to be straightforward and honest, so I told them what it was; the postal guy got all worked up and told me it's illegal to bring firearms into the post office. I tried to explain, but then realized he's a liberal, so I just left.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Isn't Chad Dixon in SD or ND? Very capable.

IC B2

Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll see if I can locate him.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by huffmanite

LOL, similar thing happened to me. I was trying to be straightforward and honest, so I told them what it was; the postal guy got all worked up and told me it's illegal to bring firearms into the post office. I tried to explain, but then realized he's a liberal, so I just left.

The guy in the local post office is a nice guy and is not judgemental.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For a long time I had an ideal situation: a regular counter man at my nearby post office was a member of my range and a big time shooter himself.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Doesn't matter what the postal guy says. It is legal to ship a long gun to an FFL. Tell them they need to read their regs!

Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just sent a couple boxes of Nosler Partitions. A substitute mail person told me it's illegal to send ammunition. I said it's not ammunition. She said, "Yes it is! It says bullets right here!"
I opened one of the boxes. "See it isn't ammunition, it's just copper and lead."

Last edited by Bugger; 07/19/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,508
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.