Hop To
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I think its about time for new ones.

For Carolyn and I. Thinking we use so many AA batteries maybe I should go that route instead of AAA.

Also LED. Ability to put on red only for walking into hunting areas woudl be nice.

More white light that what we see from 15 years ago LEDs would be a bit nice too.

And obviously not super bulky or super heavy is a desire.

Thanks,

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I wouldn't be stuck on AA's, lots of the best headlamps use AAA's now. I'd go with a Petzl Tikka Plus.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Anything Petzl.

I've stopped carrying extra batteries for my headlamps. If I'm going away from home I put in new ones before I leave just for peace of mind. Otherwise I just don't worry about it. I've never killed batteries in an LED headlamp.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave
I've never killed batteries in an LED headlamp.

Me either, including reading in the tent every night.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the BD eVolt. Decided to try one after hunting with some pards that had BD's one hunt while I was using my Petzl. My Tikka Plus seemed like it had dead batteries in comparison. I swapped out the batteries. No change. Been using the BD as my primary the last couple of years, and I've been happy.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have tried numerous and like many of them. My favorite is the Black Diamond Spot. It has the three things I need (1) spot light to see distance, (2) flood light for around camp or working up close, and (3) red led for low-light situations. I wish it did not have that crazy strobe mode and used AA instead of AAA. It is almost perfect.

Often I just use my camo or orange baseball cap with the built-in light in the brim (Panther Vision or knockoffs). I bring a cap anyway so I always have it with me, always know where it is, and it doesn't add any weight. This is the best for going ultralight. I have found these to be very dependable and useful.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good timing. I am looking to replace some headlamps that are tired and I have the same question.

Seems like a Zebra brand was pretty popular here a while back.

One thing I like in headlamps is a one-touch shut off. Any of these have that feature?

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have Petzl, Black Diamond and Zebralight. I really like my Zebralight!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use a headlamp every day for 30-60 minute periods.
I've got an older Fenix HL 30 and a Zebralight.
Maybe due to familiarity but I use the Fenix much more than the Zebra.

Fenix is AAx2, has red light, large buttons for use with gloves, much more ergonomically intuitive in its options than the Zebra FOR ME.

Zebra is a very nice light with superb construction but no red lamp, ridiculous instruction manual and I don't like scrolling thru intensity levels with the button pushed.

Great battery life from both.

I like AA lights especially if you have prolonged use of the light. For me AAA's are for intermittent use items like a tv remote or a keychain light or when small size is an over riding factor. Three AAA's just don't touch the capacity of two AA's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use several. I use a Petzl Tikka series for general lighting needs - inside the tent, bathroom runs, etc. I use a BD Icon when I really want to see something. Its not dainty or lightweight but I find it comforting when I'm 3-4 miles from the truck and need to navigate out. Surprising how many animals I see on the way out with this light. Its a dang spot light..........

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/headlamps-and-lanterns/icon-headlamp-BD620617ALUMALL1.html

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the BD Icon, it's a good light. My Zebralight is five times brighter at 1,050 lumens. And a whole bunch lighter and more compact.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ozark Trail

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Ozark Trail

LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zebralight for me. Been using them for a good while now and still love them. H501 and H51 are always in my pack.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Look at Armytek. I have been using mine for about 3 years now and it can be used as a stand alone or on a head band. You can ajust the lumans from .5 luman to 1200 luman. They run on an 18650 batt.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I have Petzl, Black diamond and Fenix is the one I use first!

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW settled on black diamond spot. The Revolt was cool, but mostly where we use them, we won't be able to recharge until we get back to somewhere.... and thats not a good thing.

I suppose I had to give up the AA idea, as stupid as AAA are, that seems to be whats what. Same as our old black diamond headlights..... friggin carrying different batteries is stupid, and weight consuming... especially out in the bush.

But we've done it for years, we can keep doing it I suppose.

I appreciate all the input, did a lot of looking at the suggestions.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry a battery pack when backpacking for charging my phone(GPS/camera/ballistic solver/e-book) and headlamp wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stay away from stream light headlamps, I have a personal one and one work (issued) and hate them both. They are way to easy to activate. I have to keep the batteries out until I'm ready to use.

I have switched to black diamond and have never looked back. I have a storm and at the beginning of hunting season I put a set of lithium batteries in it and they have never died. I have even left it on at the end of the season to see battery life and it stayed on for days

"life is tough... It's even tougher when your stupid"

The Duke
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I carry a battery pack when backpacking for charging my phone(GPS/camera/ballistic solver/e-book) and headlamp wink

LOL< we do too, but the wife carries it for charging her camera batteries. I wouldn't touch it, she takes all the portable memories with the cameras....

Come to think of it though, I suspect I could easily carry 2 gel cell 12 volt deer feeder batteries in the 6 wheeler out to camp in the bush and charge lots of stuff off htem before they died... great idea... to damn late to get the Revolt though... ugh...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 700 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.