-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bought a Air Comb to try out on grass seed. Its gets in the radiator pretty bad and my engine gets hot and the AC can't stay cold. I know its a first world problem but its a giant pain in the ass

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MVB4B6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thats the air comb, any idea what size compressor I would need to hold enough air to be able to get after the seed in the radiator? Any other ideas on how to keep the seed out?

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lift kit. a big one. Get that sucker up outta the seed.

I use a garden hose.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which will have a secondary benefit of going over deer, rather than through them.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I made a wand out of 3/8ths copper tubing about 24" long with a right angle bend on one flattened end and a valve w/quick disconnect on the other end. My old compressor only went to 120psi but it cleared seeds, etc. out of the radiator of my tractor. Of course you have to blow from the engine side.

They sell such a thing for about $60

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I made a wand out of 3/8ths copper tubing about 24" long with a right angle bend on one flattened end and a valve w/quick disconnect on the other end. My old compressor only went to 120psi but it cleared seeds, etc. out of the radiator of my tractor. Of course you have to blow from the engine side.

They sell such a thing for about $60

Perfect!

I already have a 3" old man emu lift but we've had so much moisture the grass is taller. I'm not complaining though, I'm happy to deal with the seeds

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some years ago I'd been out in tall grass with my Blazer. On the way home after dark, a guy waved me down and said I was throwing sparks. Turned out that a bunch of grass had collected on top of the skid plate and the exhaust pipe got it cooking. Luckily I had a jug of water and a pan to throw it up under there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Screen wire next to radiator, will stop all seeds-chaff and usually when you shut engine off a lot of it will fall off-down. Sure better than suckin it into radiator!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^^^^^ getting it in there can be a pain, but when done, your done. It will also slow or stop anti skid from knocking a hole in the radiator.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dirty radiators are major pain in the ass.

Cotton, mud, seeds, weird dust, you name it and it will over heat your machine.

I made a 'custom' deal for the air nozzle thing-a-mu-bob.

Piece of 3/8 or 1/2" fuel line with some rigid wire to hold the shape.

Here's the idea.

[Linked Image]

Probably similar to Saddlesore's.

I like the rubber because I don't have to worry about damaging fine fins on certain radiators.

Of course like Don mentioned water is also great and actually the only thing that will work on really gummed up radiators.

Mohick also has good preventative medicine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mohick
Screen wire next to radiator, will stop all seeds-chaff and usually when you shut engine off a lot of it will fall off-down. Sure better than suckin it into radiator!!

^^^This^^^

Johnson grass in the fields of the TX Hill Country Ranch I manage are over the roof of my truck after all the rain we had this year.

Oh, And Buy a FORD, Drummond! wink

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Bought a Air Comb to try out on grass seed. Its gets in the radiator pretty bad and my engine gets hot and the AC can't stay cold. I know its a first world problem but its a giant pain in the ass

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MVB4B6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thats the air comb, any idea what size compressor I would need to hold enough air to be able to get after the seed in the radiator? Any other ideas on how to keep the seed out?

Thanks

We use that on the tractors in the summer. Run it with a 20 gallon compressor, but it will drain it out faster than it can refill, but by then I'm usually done doing what I need. Or just let it replenish on the fly with little breaks as you reposition.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
[quote=huntsonora]Bought a Air Comb to try out on grass seed. Its gets in the radiator pretty bad and my engine gets hot and the AC can't stay cold. I know its a first world problem but its a giant pain in the ass

Thanks

We use that on the tractors in the summer. Run it with a 20 gallon compressor, but it will drain it out faster than it can refill, but by then I'm usually done doing what I need. Or just let it replenish on the fly with little breaks as you reposition. [/quote

It would work better and easier to use if the end of the wand has 90 degree bend it. If I have time,I'll take a photo of min tommorrow

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Search radiator genie kit. They are available at the parts stores around here. Combination of a blow wand and wash wand. My new Holland tractor has a slip screen in front of radiator which works well.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 42 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,511
Posts18,452,647
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.