-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
While fishing the first big hole below the Pumphouse hole on the Buskin last night a guy on the other side hooked a red. An otter came out of nowhere (it seemed) and grabbed the salmon. He swam it under a downed poplar just downstream from me by 30 feet or so. A few minutes later he came out with the fish crosswise in his mouth, biting it near the dorsal fin.

He swam underwater, upstream, and around the first corner. Maybe 25 yards of swimming against some heavy current. He again disappeared into a pile of logs.

It was pretty cool to see.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is cool!

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recall there are no river otters there....only sea otters and land otters... smile Miss the Buskin!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Huh,never heard of a land otter... they have always been river otters!

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Question: When a “land” otter is swimming in the ocean, is it a sea otter? smile

Question: Why does one see ‘land’ otter tracks, but rarely an actual ‘land’ otter, while one often sees ‘river’ otters, but rarely their tracks? (Are they related to Bigfoot?)

wink

Cool anecdotes though, about a really cool critter. Seems that they generally live in their own little bubble regardless of what the local humans do to interlope.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

wink

[Linked Image]

Humph! How could you forget about the Lesser Northern Snow Otter?

Sheesh!

(Sightings of these rascals is very rare.)

laugh

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

wink

[Linked Image]

Humph! How could you forget about the Lesser Northern Snow Otter?

Sheesh!

(Sightings of these rascals is very rare.)

laugh

At that latitude, I completely agree...

wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Must be related to the kustakaw...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t imagine these critters travel so much during the ice-free times, but the snow sure records plenty of evidence of their travels in winter over some rather extended distances, and not just on waterways. Miles and miles of open tundra can be tracked - mostly with their ‘skid marks’ - as they travel from one place to another, occasionally dropping into a beaver pond or creek along their path. It’s not too surprising that the term “land-otter” is sometimes applied to them, if incorrectly, as that is where many of them are collected as a sort of ‘by-catch’ by travelers/hunters.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

579 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,033
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.