Print Thread
Hop To
T
tjk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Have a question on cast iron; have been using it for over 40 years but have recently been seeing bad reviews as far as using high acid foods like tomatoes. Have to admit, that while I've added tomatoes to mixtures I've been making with no problems that I'm aware of; my question is to whether a slow simmer over several hours would damage (pit) the CA. I do season after each cook and would think that should take care of problems, but defer to anyone with more experience. Also have heard that high acid food in CA (not California) results in a metallic taste to the foods. Guidance requested. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do not know about pits, but it can make an off flavor and color. Making apple butter in enamel can eat the enamel, personal experience.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have been using cast iron, and LeCrueset products for 60+ years. I have never experienced any ill effects, if the pan/pot is otherwise cared for properly.

Sam......

T
tjk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks, I never use soap to clean. Anything cruste on getd boiling water and a scrub, the dried on med-low range and reseasoned with oil as soon as dry. Thought that should cover it.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Been doing it like that for 25 years in a lot of diff.cast ,works for me.Scott

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tjk
Thanks, I never use soap to clean. Anything cruste on getd boiling water and a scrub, the dried on med-low range and reseasoned with oil as soon as dry. Thought that should cover it.

That's been my M.O. forever. However, (informational only as I haven't tried it yet) I've heard on another board flaxseed oil can be a good thing to reseason with. As I said, dunno. Haven't tried it yet.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i take mine off the stove hot and use a plastic turner to break anything that stuck then pour just a little very hot water in it . i want it hot enough to simmer the water,then wipe it out with a paper towel. oil when dry.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have used flaxseed oil. my opinion is don't use it. it ends up flaking off and gets in your food and you lose the seasoning. and not after a long time either. i've gone back to using crisco for seasoning my pans.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Robster
I have used flaxseed oil. my opinion is don't use it. it ends up flaking off and gets in your food and you lose the seasoning. and not after a long time either. i've gone back to using crisco for seasoning my pans.

Interesting, Rob.

I've found flaxseed oil to produce a harder and more durable finish.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Done it all in my cast iron, no problems . Only scrub off crusted stuff. Otherwise do a wipe out with damp cloth. On occasion re oil.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think it is harder, yet gets brittle and starts flaking off. I used it quite a bit then ended up stripping the pans it was on and went back to Crisco. Maybe it was the specific oil I bought. I just don't know.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am sticking, or more accurately, "NON STICKING", with hog lard. smile

Sam......

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am sticking, or more accurately, "NON STICKING", with hog lard. smile

I use lots of hog lard in our cast iron. And lots of bacon grease. Just about all I use. Got home from Quemado and there was a very well "used" #8 Griswold on the counter waiting on me. Apparently it was traded for 4 pounds of elk hamburger and a few steaks while I was gone.

Inside pretty pitted. But I was able to sand out the majority with a disc sander. Been trying bacon in it. I think it will be ok. Especially around the camp.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i bought a new lodge brand 10" a few weeks ago at a yard sale that had a real rough finish in it. i took a 4" grinding disc in my floor model drill press and ground it as slick and flat as i could get it. then sanded it with a disc sander til it shined like a mirror. its been in the oven for 2 weeks now. every time i use the oven if i have room i oil it and and cook it again. its really starting to blacken up again . it will make a great skillet with a little work. i only paid a dollar for it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Robster

Good info, robster. Thanks

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1minute, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,148 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,099
Posts18,464,161
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.