-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I hope my seating depth and crimp adjustment is adequate. Crimp is from a Redding profile crimp die. Bullet is a 265 gr WFNGC. Reddish reflection is from the cell phone case. You can see the redding two ring die effect on the brass. Mouths were opened with a Lyman M die.

Thanks.

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like the one on the right which looks like it is tight and right up to the top of the crimping groove.

Put six in the gun, shoot five and see if there is any movement from the last round.

I like a heavy crimp even on my light loads. I find that I get very low velocity spread and complete powder burning... A lot of reloaders put on as mild a crimp as they can get away with because they think that the case mouth splits sooner with a heavy crimp. I have .41 Magnum brass from the 1970s that I am still shooting with no neck splits.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what size is your expander plug? A firm crimp is good but a tight bullet fit is also important.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm with RJM, looks about how I crimp all my .45 Colt loads......

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the one on the left. I roll crimp revolver like that (as nearly as possible given the differences in case length) so I know I'm getting in the bottom of the groove.

But either way will work and yes your seating & crimping looks just fine.

Last edited by SargeMO; 07/17/16.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all. Actually the dies were adjusted the same for both cartridges but may look a little different in the picture.

I did not measure the M die plug but bullets feel like a pretty snug fit when seating them.

I basically seated the bullets until the brass was almost to the top of the groove. I figured the crimp would roll down into the middle of the groove and really lock in.

I have to get used to the extra steps. I cleaned a couple hundred plus pieces of brass today. Is Star line the way to go? That's what I collected from factory loads.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Starline has a great reputation. I like to save it for my heavy loads. I don't know that it really matters though. My federal brass seems just as good.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Everyone of my revolvers gets fed Starline brass.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Your crimp looks good to me, for what that might be worth. I also prefer Starline brass.

Mike

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Do any of y'all trim revolver brass? Sort brass in any way?

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok, I'll admit it. I am anal about brass length. I trim when needed for consistent crimping. In your post, you state that the crimp die was set the same for both cartridges, but the pictures show the crimp higher in the crimp grove on the right. Should not be a problem if the brass is not too long, but inconsistent length is the cause. I especially trim new brass to the same length if there is variation. And IMO, you can't do better than Starline brass.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by lastround
Ok, I'll admit it. I am anal about brass length. I trim when needed for consistent crimping. In your post, you state that the crimp die was set the same for both cartridges, but the pictures show the crimp higher in the crimp grove on the right. Should not be a problem if the brass is not too long, but inconsistent length is the cause. I especially trim new brass to the same length if there is variation. And IMO, you can't do better than Starline brass.
Ditto to all the above..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

I did not measure the M die plug but bullets feel like a pretty snug fit when seating them.

I like to see the expander plug be at least .005" smaller than the bullet dia, to get a tight fit. I've gone smaller and it worked fine.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
what size is your expander plug? A firm crimp is good but a tight bullet fit is also AS important.

Spot on. I had Alan Harton turn all of mine down.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Left one looks great.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
mine look like the example on the right. Always works for me.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for input guys

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.