Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I was doing some camping in the mountains, near Fontana Dam this week. My big chopper and the S30V Osceola Companion knife that Tim made for me some years back, were really worked hard.
I cut downfall wood with the chopper, and split it with the OC. I have never seen better tools for working with large chunks of wood in camp.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Love that chopper! Tim does great work.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Great looking knives!!

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From what we've seen and heard of em' from you here over the years...and especially with you usin' em' like you do...they are definitely bad-a$$ of the highest order. Awesome blades/tools/craftsmanship.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I was doing some camping in the mountains, near Fontana Dam this week. My big chopper and the S30V Osceola Companion knife that Tim made for me some years back, were really worked hard.
I cut downfall wood with the chopper, and split it with the OC. I have never seen better tools for working with large chunks of wood in camp.
[Linked Image]

Ever try a hatchet or better yet an axe?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
lawdwaz
Ever try a hatchet or better yet an axe?

no, in all my 60+ years of bumming around in the woods, I have never tried a hatchet or ax. 'hawk either, for that matter. No saws as well.

Geez, what a stupid question. smile

Sam......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I can't say enough great things about the Chopper Tim made for me. It along with my Grans Fors Bruk mini hatchet and small forest ax all have a place in my camp.
Each is a top notch tool.
The Chopper sees most of its use in my day pack, doing everything from cutting up kindling for a tea break on the trail to breaking down an animal. Despite its size, it is a very easy to control tool, even when skinning an elk. Well balanced, it holds an edge very well but sharpens up fast when required.
That Osceola Companion looks interesting.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Tim made the Osceola Companion knives for me back in 2011. The first was in A2 steel. .27 thick, with green micarta handle. It's a beast, takes a keen edge, and keeps it.
The other is in S30V, a bit thinner stock, with Bocote wood handle. Both get a lot of woods time. Blades are 6 1/2 inches long, 1 1/2 inches top to edge.
I designed these, and Tim made his helpful tweaks. They came out perfect. The drop point design is to facilitate batoning. The blade goes through the wood at an angle, with the end of the knife horizontal to take the full blow of the baton. Splits wood easily, quickly.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the info Sam. Those are very cool, useful looking blades. I have seen you mention them in the past but the history behind them is interesting.
Are those the only two or does Tim build them on request for others? Don't want to horn in on your design but I can see uses in the Canadian bush I hunt.

I have a May Big Hand Scandi which I carry and use in a similar manner that you use your Osceola Companion.

Jeff

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
fyi
I only made 4 Osceola Companions. Sam has his two, a friend Sam referred to me has one (that I originally made for myself) and I built and kept one for myself.

I don't see me making more big blades in the future.

I do have one blade like Sams Chopper shown above and one blade about half way between that size and the Osceola Companion. They are out of 52100 and are available.

PM me if interested in either of these two last large blades I have available. They are not handled, so that is an open option.

Sam
Thanks for the post and kind comments.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
pm your way!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That did not take long. Those last two large blades are now spoken for. Gonna be part of a 4 knife set.
Thanks
Tim
ps: Guess I owe Sam again. Thanks

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 07/24/16.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
brother Tim, I am the one that is forever in your debt. A good number of my absolute favorite knives were crafted by you.
When I work with you on a design, or a tweak, your advice is always correct, and the end results show it.
From the little Bayou Bait Cutter, to the chopper, zero complaints, and nothing but compliments. smile

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really like the looks of those choppers......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I really like the look of that OC. Either of those steels as well. Very useful design.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just had to open this thread. Dang me now I want more.

Sam, thanks for reminding me that I need to post the work Tim did for me. Top quality workmanship for sure. One's so pretty I don't even want to scratch her up. eek

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
David, Tim likes to see his blades used. smile

With much angst, I did part with one of his. The Good News Hunter. My long time hunting partner, and favorite brother in law, had never owned a decent hunting knife.
I gave him my Olt knife. It's his pride and joy now, and has already been put to use on Chip's dear lease in Alabama.

Sam......

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup he told me to use it. FYI...My Dad took the Olt Knife ball cap Tim sent me. Even his hats are the best!!!!!

Tim sent me another!!! grin cool

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
fyi
I only made 4 Osceola Companions. Sam has his two, a friend Sam referred to me has one (that I originally made for myself) and I built and kept one for myself.

Make that five Osceola Companions. Don't forget about mine grin I love both of these, and I'm damn glad I got in while the gettin' was good!!
[img:left]http://[Linked Image][/img]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Guess I forgot one. That does make a nice pair, but I am biased.
I need to go fishing and lose this tendency towards senior moments I an having lately.
So, I will be "GONE FISHING" for a week in Minnasnowta.
Tim

Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.