-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Colorado unit 43 for second season elk? Any suggestions or opinions?

Many Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Can't help here, not familiar with that unit

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get some maps, use google earth a bit. I'll be new to CO this Fall myself, but hooked up with guys that have been going over 10 years.

I just have a cow tag, as I'm figuring things out.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got topos and land use map. Talked to Colorado Parks people. Gave me some information on the area, was very helpful. He did mention there was an outfitter that hunted a certain are, but as this is all National Forest I should be able to hunt there as well correct? Not that I would ruin anyone's hunt, but I should be able to hunt in that area as well?

Anyone else going to be in the neighborhood? Oh, and any word on ATV use in there?

Thank you

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WV_Airedale
Not that I would ruin anyone's hunt, but I should be able to hunt in that area as well?

Yes. If you run into him or his hunters and can get an idea where they're hunting and where their camp is, it's a good bet to give them a buffer. Better hunting away from outfitter camps.

The National Forest puts out road and trail use maps, see if you can get one. hat'll give you some info on ATV use.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you Sir, I will do that. Planned to stop in the local Parks office before we hit the hills.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's the US Forest Service that puts out the maps, if you know which forest you'll be in, you can order by phone and study them before you get here.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll check with them, yes I know what forests. Appreciate the info Sir

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do a fair bit of virtual reconnaissance. You've gotten good advice. The motor vehicle use maps are available online on the USFS websige or they are free if you stop by one of their offices.

Ive never hunted 43 but a couple other things to consider.

1. Call the DOW and USFS. Talk to the WCO for the unit you are hunting and the bio from the USFS. Ask 2 basic questions: how many people hunt the area and elk population trends. You'll get 2 entirely different perspectives. The conversation will go alot better if you do some Google Earth work first and ask pointed questions concerning the 2 basic questions above.

2. Spend every minute between now and then studying a topo map of the area. Look for saddles, finger ridges coming off a main ridge and cliff areas. Elk like to cross over saddles and bed in black timber on finger ridges. Cliffy areas are either terrain funnels or areas to avoid. Once you get the lay of the land, tie the terrain with aerial photography. Locate likely food sources, black timber, steep and ugly areas. Next figure out where people will likely enter.

I know people like their ATVs but I'm not a fan. In fact I hate them with a passion. If guys would use ATVs to move around an area - cool. But they drive them up to elk areas and start hunting. My other favorite is driving around gates. Had tbat happen Saturday in WY. Had some bubba drive around a gate to private property that the owners let people hunt but don't want 4 wheelers driving around. It will likely get posted because bubba can't get off his fat ass to walk the extra 0.5 mile. Rant off.

I hunt areas away from any motorized access. I'll walk 2-3 miles to get away from people and any motorized access. Consider this: studies have shown elk avoid areas within 0.5 mile of roads. I shot an elk yesterday away from people and motorized traffic. It was only 0.6 mile from the truck. But I saw no people in 2 days of hunting over there. At one point I was 3 miles from the truck but had to cross a few steep areas. Plan your route and you can minimize the steep areas if need be. Or go in there to find elk as the season progresses.

The two best pieces of advice I could give is first get away from people. Second don't sit around and hope for an elk to walk by. Hope isn't a strategy. I normally spend the first couple days ground truthing my Google Earth work. Find the elk then figure out how to kill one. Still hunting in the timber at daylight is becoming my favorite method of elk hunting. It takes patience, confidence in your abilities, and having elk in the area. Plus it's plain fun. I would not simply go find a meadow or saddle and sit on it for a week. It might work but likely not. Spend all your days finding elk if need be. If you do some virtual reconnaissance you should be able to find elk in a 2-4 days leaving 2-4 days to kill one. You can always kill one while scouting - I did that 2 years ago. Good luck and post up a good story!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you Sir

Good advice. Appreciated

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Shawn
I have a topo map of Maroon Bells W.A. and Capitol Peak area in the MBWA that I could send you asap if you want to look at/use them. That is in unit 43.
If I keep looking I may find more.
Let me know and I will get them out tomorrow.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have topos for almost all of the area, from above avalanche creek to below Marbles, Thanks Tim appreciate the offer

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.