Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The positive thing about Dyna bore kote coating is easiness of cleaning a barrel. The throat area seems to be the hardest area to clean/remove copper. Will DBC help in eroded throats?

Last edited by Bugger; 07/21/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, some anyway.

What I've done after throats start to erode somewhat is shoot a few fire-lapping bullets to eliminate the rough "gator-skin" area, then reinstall DBC. This can definitely help an older barrel live a little longer.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, some anyway.

What I've done after throats start to erode somewhat is shoot a few fire-lapping bullets to eliminate the rough "gator-skin" area, then reinstall DBC. This can definitely help an older barrel live a little longer.

Lead or jacketed bullets?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've only used jacketed, but lead would work too.

One tool that's very handy during this procedure is a bore-scope, which allows me to see exactly when the throat erosion is smoothed out. A scope is also handy when installing DBC, to see when the bore is really clean. I realize not many shooters own a bore-scope, but they're a lot cheaper now than when I bought mine quite a few years ago, and even if somebody doesn't feel they can justify the expense themselves, they might consider going in on one with a buddy or two.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
+1 on bore scope.

Hawkeye is hard to beat.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mule Deer,

A bit off topic, but was wondering if you'd had a chance to compare the new Lyman Borescope to the Hawkeye? It's $167.55 at MidwayUSA right now (on clearance, wonder why...) so it's quite a bit cheaper than the Hawkeye.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, I haven't. The reviews I've seen of the Lyman have been pretty decent, though.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If the Lyman is half way decent, it beats the $800+ Hawkeye tab.

My excuse for spending that much on a bore scope, when that money could have bought a really nice scope: I use the Hawkeye more than any ONE scope I have... grin

I know, I know, that's pretty lame, but the best I could come up with on short notice... smile

DF

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
i confess i haven't tried either. but, as with most optical devices, what's satisfactory depends on the amount of detail you're seeking and how easy the instrument is to use. this applies to the light source as well.

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, the Hawkeye is pretty good and probably the standard by which others will be judged.

DF

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have both. Lyman is a really good tool, but you have to remember that it is a digital image, pixels...

Hawkeye is a true optical image.

You can live with the Lyman because most of the time you are watching for barrel wear, fouling, quality of the barrel, and irregularities.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
With the Lyman, can you load the digital image on an I-phone and send the link?

DF

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by keith
I have both. Lyman is a really good tool, but you have to remember that it is a digital image, pixels...

Hawkeye is a true optical image.

You can live with the Lyman because most of the time you are watching for barrel wear, fouling, quality of the barrel, and irregularities.

If that's the case, what would you use the Hawkeye for that you couldn't use the Lyman for? And why is it important to have an optical vs. a digital image?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DF,

I'm not an expert but from my very brief look at the Lyman unit you can take a snapshot of the current view and save to an SD card (not included). The pics are not high resolution but only 320x240. That's not to say they are not of a sufficient resolution to see throat wear, etc. Once the SD card they could be transferred to a computer, uploaded, e-mailed, etc. It only allows snapshots and not capturing full-motion video as you move through the bore.

Looks like the MidwayUSA price is back up to $259.99...

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I guess you could use the SD card to download image on a laptop or desktop, send as a Message or Mail.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,854 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.